Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puchinita5

how to care/prune Maid of Orleans

Puchinita5
9 years ago

I'm new to Jasmines. I have a maid of orleans that I am growing indoors (I have no access to an outdoor area) in a south facing window in Chicago. I think because of the screen on the window, it gets the right amount of light here. I also grow african violets and they love my windows.

I got my MOO from Logees, it has two 6" stems of leaves shooting out from the soil. It is flowering (about 6 buds in total, 1 blooming at a time).

I'm wondering what are the things I need to do, other than light/water, soil etc to take care of this plant. First, I would like a bushier plant rather than a vining plant. I can't find a good source anywhere, on this site or elsewhere, about the best way to promote bushy growth and where to trim and where it will grow.

Second, do I need to cut off the "claw" looking part where a blossom has fallen? As in, the flower blossoms last a day or two, then they fall off and leave behind this sort of claw looking thing that was encasing the blossom. Should I cut these off? Or leave them?

What are things I should know that promote more blossoming? I know I should always cut off things that are dead, but what about tricks on things I could maybe cut back now to make a prettier and happier plant?

When do I need to repot? It's in a 4 inch pot now.

What should I do in winter? I have fluorescent lights, should I ever add artificial light to a jasmine?

Comments (7)