Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

Propagation methods for various type of Jasmines

olympia_gardener
11 years ago

Hi, All. I love Jasmine. Some are more of my favorite , and some are less of my favorite, but I love them all.

I always want to propagate few spare plants just in case of the mother dies unexpectedly, or friends and co-worker want to have one. I saw Kindhi has successfully airlayer his Duke Supreme... Thumbs up.

But we are not always able to have a plant home to do airplay. Many times, cuttings are most available. When we start to prune our Jasmine , there are a lots of cuttings that we are willing to share/send to fellow gardenweb members. So I thinking maybe fragrant forum members would like to share the experiences of successfully propagation method with specific variety of Jasmine. Please be as specific details ( what kind of cuttings, how long is the cutting, what type of soil, temperature, light level, what type of root hormone, misted or covered, how long it takes from cutting to transplant. etc) as possible.

This includes all J. Sambac, vine type, fragrant type, none fragrant type, white/yellow/pink flower color. Tree type. and other are not really a Jasmine, but are sold as Jasmines...

Thank you and looking forward to your inputs

Comments (5)

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I might have confused everyone... I found that MOO is very easy to be propagated from cuttings and Mysore Mulli, on the other extreme, is almost impossible to be propagted from cuttings. If you had successful experiences of propagating Mysore Mulli or other type of Jasmine, Please share your secret.

I was debating whether I should post this in Propagation forum or this fragrant forum. I saw Propagation forum seem more on propagating foilage type of plants. I decided to give this forum a try because many of us love Jasmine, more likely had tried to propagate Jasmine cuttings some time in the past.

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I might have confused everyone... I found that MOO is very easy to be propagated from cuttings and Mysore Mulli, on the other extreme, is almost impossible to be propagted from cuttings. If you had successful experiences of propagating Mysore Mulli or other type of Jasmine, Please share your secret.

I was debating whether I should post this in Propagation forum or this fragrant forum. I saw Propagation forum seem more on propagating foilage type of plants. I decided to give this forum a try because many of us love Jasmine, more likely had tried to propagate Jasmine cuttings some time in the past.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Hi Olympia,

Have you tried the Forsythe pot method with a cover and bottom heat and dipping the ends in rooting hormone?
    I would try cuttings about 6 inches long.
    Mysore Mulli might take longer to root in vermiculite than other sambac varieties but I know it must be possible since nurseries and sellers on eBay can propagate it.

Good luck!

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Robert, Yes I tried Forsythe method with cover and hormone without heat. They all ended mold.
    I am thinking the same way you do ...it must be possible since nurseries and sellers on eBay can propagate it... But I think I miss some details. I just put a batch of Chinese Perfume plant cuttings in a propagation box which was posted in Propagation forum , same way as Forsythe pot, except it is large with a lid. Kemistry kindly pointed out it might be lack of heat. So I am putting a heat pad underneath the box. I treated cutting with weak bleach solution in hoping to kill as many fugi as possible. I am wondering should I use stronger hormone too.

I will try 6" long cuttings. How many inches should one end stay above the potting medium? Should I strip all the leaves away to minimize the possible fugi and water loss? Right now I only have couple leaves on the cuttings

I also have vine type of Jasmines. What is the best way to propagate them from cuttings?

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I don't know about vining jasmines. Perhaps layering?
    I definitely think bottom heat will help...especially trying to root them in the winter.
    As for how many inches...I've never measured but I'd guess a couple inches in the potting medium. I left a couple of leaves as well and cut half of the large leaves off but you definitely need some leaves so don't remove all of them.

-Robert