Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandhi_gw

jasmine sambac varieties (pics)

kandhi
13 years ago

my jasmines are doing great this year. High temp/heat with fertilization once in two weeks is helping them a lot. Hope I can keep them outside until end of september.

jasmine belle of india

jasmine nitidum

jasmine flore plena

jasmine unknown- similar to grandduke but very vigourous in growing with bigger blooms

jasmine- hardy variety from logees

jasmine molle

jasmine humile

Comments (66)

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

SR, I would agree with Mehitabel with her suggestions. Do not repot the plants unless roots show outside the pot below when you receive them. If repotting is necessary, then go with next size pot not gallon pots. I would not recommend repotting during winter specially in our area indoors. Place the plants in sheltered sun area indoors when they arrive for 2-3 days and then move then to sunny spot indoors as jasmines require sun. Water the plans only when the soil is dry.

• rsweetie_rocketmail_com
    13 years ago

Thanks a lot mehitabel & Kandhi for your prompt valuable advice.

However, when I received the Mysore mulli in Nov, the roots were already outside the soil, hence I wanted to know if I had to re-pot the plant if I receive the same kind of plant again. I ordered a gallon size pot with small plant.That's the only size they have.

It is the first time,that I ordered plants from Logees,and since the symbacs are only 2" pot size plants,will it be ok if I leave them like that until spring?

Lastly, while re-potting in spring, what other things should I use besides Miracle gro & Pertile, for better growth & establishment of the young plants? In simple words I would like to know the potting mix to be used, if you guys can help me with that.

Once again, thank you for your valuable advice it saved my plants from the shock of re-potting in winter!!

• nhardy
    13 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for Grand Duke of Tuscany SUPREME other than TT?? I have been on TT's email list and only once did I get an email that they had two plants. Needless to say they were gone before I saw the email. I have a Monrovia Grand Duke of Tuscany that has overwinter beautifully without ANY special attention in the house. I water it and forget it.

13 years ago

nhardy, I don't know if it's already late but i have seen them at Almost Eden. If you go to their website they have somewhat around 120 plants right now; Although I have never ordered from them in the past, it was Mehitabel who advised me to have a look at their nursery.

Can someone help me with my J molle? I received a small plant from TT but it was almost dried, with burnt leaves, I re-potted it, as guided by TT, but I am not sure, the plant also had a lot of brown residue which I guess is due to the Iron sprayed on it, I cleaned it with water.

Any suggestions on extra care or valuable tips would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Sweetie Rose

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sweetie rose, the variety of jasmine at Almost Eden is not grandduke supreme, it is the vareit similar to jasmine mysore malle. I have checked with jeff and john at almost eden on grandduke supreme, they said they do not have that variety. I am not sure which other place offers granduke supreme other than TT. I have ordered from Almost Eden, their service and plants is great, I would definitely order from them again. I am sorry to hear that your J.molle is not doing good, they must have just sent you a twig with no strong root system. As long as the stem is green, there is hope. I am not sure what your zone is, but if you have it indoors, then do not water it until the topsoil layer dries out. Overwatering kills the plants.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Hi, sweetierose. About your jasmine molle. I got one from TT last summer, but it was a big sturdy one. (The only good plant I got from them all summer).

It looked pretty bad, old leaves. Not shriveled, but definitely not new, and covered with that iron dust. But it did bloom and was very fragrant. Once it puts out new growth, it will start to look a whole lot better.

I hope your small molle isn't one of the useless tiny sprigs TT has been supplying me with (I've quit buying there). If it does have roots, it will probably put out new growth when it gets more sun and warmth. This is hard times for jasmines indoors, but they really put on an amazing spurt of growth once outside as the nights warm up.

If it doesn't come back because it's too tiny, I would give over trying to replace it from TT. Plenty of other jasmines as nicely fragrant, including J grandiflorum, which you can get from Logee's, and which is nicely fragrant. I have the flore plena form of this, very pretty and very vigorous.

Good luck with your jasmines, and please let us know how they do. I love them-- even the name "jasmine" is beautiful and evocative.

13 years ago

Thank you Kandhi & Mehitabel for your valuable tips & advice. Kandhi, I live in zone 7, yorktown, where do you live? I am not sure which zone you live in.TT sent me a plant just like the one Mehitabel described but mine had leaves almost burned half way through. I sent them an e-mail as soon as I received the plant & they said they'd send me another one once the temp rise. Now I don't know how far that's true, I did read somewhere that they send you another plant only with your next order since they don't cover the shipping costs. Mehitabel, did you ever return your plants to them?

Luckily my mom is here & helping me nurse the Jasmines.
    I am already depressed as I am scared to loose them. My Flore Plena & Belle from Logees are yet to arrive, they will be shipped as soon as the weather here turns good.

Does Mysore mulli survive in zone 7? I potted the one TT sent me, & the leaves at the base dried I guess it was due to the stress of shipping & change in climate. They are potted in the 5-1-1 mix as Kandhi once advised.

Is there any other sourse for Jasminum Mysore mulli besides TT? I would really appreciate if someone could give me a cutting of this plant.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sweetierose, I am in ashburn, va. J.flore plena that Almost Eden sells, looks like the same variety that is sold by TT as mysore mulli, you can try them. When my TT mysore molle died, I bought from almost eden and it is same. Logees J.flore plena is different than Almost Eden J. flore plena, which seems to be same as mysore mulli. All jasmines do not survive outside in our zone, they have to be brought indoors except hardy jasmine that is sold by logees. If you are interested in some cutting of mysore mulli, I can give you in spring.

13 years ago

Thank you Kandhi for the information. I will be pleased if you you can give me a cutting of Mysore mulli, it's really kind of you.Thank You once again.You may send me an e-mail with your address.

I have a few questions, if you can help me on them.

1) Which is the best season to buy Jasmines? Some say during monsoons, others say when it's cold.

2) When buying online, which is the size one must go for? For eg. if there are two plants, very large & a small one, which one should I opt for?
    3) Do you know a good sourse for buying J maid of Orleans?

Thank you once again for your kind concern, & immediate advice.

Sweetie Rose

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Hi, sweetie. No, I don't return plants, it's a lot of trouble for me. I figure I get even by not buying from them again.

PS the Logee's Flore Plena is vigorous and lovely. Beautiful, strong scent.

About the size to buy, I've bought all sizes, and 2" is not too small if you are on a budget. Otherwise, 4" is good. Jasmines are strong growers in summer.

Khandi, thanks for the tip about the Almost Eden variety. I bought from them on your recommendation, and their plants are great! Looking forward to more this spring.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

1. Based on my experience the best time to buy jasmines is in early spring and summer not in winter or during monsoons.
    2. When buying online I opt for small size because they are cheaper, if budget is not a problem they buying bigger size plant is good.
    3. On-line sources would be logees, rareflora,almosteden have good selection for jasmines and their service is good. You can also find bigger jasmine plants locally early summer. maid of orleans is found in all nurseries in summer here. Try meadows farm, merrifield garden ctr, wolftrap farm in vienna, they do carry several types of jasmines.

My msyore mulli is still small at 11/2ft tall. I will definitely share cuttings in spring/summer once it grows a bit.

• nhardy
    13 years ago

Thank you Kandhi & sweetie rose for checking on GD of T Supreme. Thanks for the tip on watering. PS, I just love all the pics on this thread.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

does anyone know the difference between jasminum azoricum and j. molle? I remember Kandhi said J molle has a heavy gardenia-like scent, what about J azoricum - how does it smell like?

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had J.azoricum for several years that I gave away to one of my friend as it was getting out of control in size. It was 6ft tall. Both molle and azoricum are vines with similar structures. molle has rounded buds with 6 petals where as azoricum has narrow pointed buds with 4-5 petals only. The leaf structure is also different. It does not have the same fragrance of sambac's or molle, little different and has subtle floral fragrance. Blooms profusely in summer time.

pic from last year

• kemistry
    13 years ago

it looked nice, but i'll stick with the j molle. Thanks Kandhi! :)

13 years ago

Is the Jasminum belle of India sold at Almost Eden, same as that of Logees?

Almost Eden currently sells Grand Duke of Tuscany Flore Pleno, Kandhi did you mean to say that this variety is the same as that of Mysore mulli sold by TT?

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jasminum belle of India sold at Almost Eden is not the same as that of Logees, it looks to me like mysole mulli kind. I bought one of these last year from then and it is as mysore mulli not belle of india with elongated buds.
    Almost Eden currently sells Grand Duke of Tuscany Flore Pleno that is regular grandduke which they call it different.
    If you really want to buy some locally, you can check in merrifield garden center. They do have belle of india varitey in gallon and bigger size.

13 years ago

thank you Kandhi for your prompt reply as always. I don't need the Belle of India currently since the one I ordered from Logees is on it's way. I was only verifying it was the same as the one Almost Eden sells. HYou cleared my doubts. I was looking for Mysore mulli, since I am not sure if the small plant that TT sent me will grow well. Perhaps I will buy the Belle from Almost eden, as you suggested since it's the same as Mysore mulli.

I will check in the merrifield garden cntr for J maid of Orlens later when the Spring peeps in. Right now I am nursing the half burnt J molle TT sent me hoping desperately to save it. Luckily it's sunny in our part of VA.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    13 years ago

I bought a J. molle from TT that arrived in Nov/Dec. I just now repotted it in Al's 5:1:1 mix...I probably should have waited but didn't want to take a chance on killing it by over watering it during winter. The roots look healthy but the top does look like crap...still I think it will be beautiful this summer and of course I can't wait to smell it!

13 years ago

@ robert, I too have the same hope with my molle from TT.
    Good luck to you.

Meanwhile, I received my J belle from Almost Eden, their service is extraordinary! Thanks once again Kandhi & Mehitabel for introducing me to their nursery. I am desperately hoping to have good luck with it. And lastly, as both of you advised, I will not re-pot it until spring, while checking on the watering.

Am wondering if it'll be okay to leave the plant indoors in the same pot until re-potted again in spring.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sweetie rose, as long as it is not rootbound you can leave it in the same pot. if you really feel the need to move it into a big container, move it to 6inch container next week. Give it a week or so to adjust to new environment indoors with filtered sunlight before repotting. Once repotted, leave it in filtered sunlight area for another 2-3 days and then move to a sunny location indoors.

13 years ago

Does anyone know about Aimee Yoshioka Cape Jasmine? I would like to know if anyone succeeded in growing this plant.

Any additional information on this variety (besides that given on the website of the nurseries) would be appreciated.

• bunti
    13 years ago

hello kandhi,

the picture you have posted is not j. azoricum, its j tortuosum. J azoricum will hava 7 or more than 7 petals. the leaves look very similar. i like azoricum better than tortuosum.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bunti, you are absolutely right it is J tortuosum not azoricum. I posted the incorrect one,J. azoricum fragrance is sweet and I too like it better than tortuosum. .

Kemistry, sorry to confuse you above,i posted incorret pic. My azoricum is still very small and for some reason it is not as vigorous as J.molle with growth and generous with blooms.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

AAh! I thought the blooms looked familiar, no wonder, thanks for the correction! I also have a tortuosum which i'm not very fond of.

• jimshy
    13 years ago

Sweetie, Cape Jasmine is another name for gardenia, and gardenias . . . are a whole 'nother can of worms! Check past topics for some in-depth discussions of the splendors and miseries of gardenias.

Jim

13 years ago

Thanks Jimshy, I had got the information on Cape Jasmine, & knew that it was a gardenia. Just wanted to know if anyone tried growing this plant at home.

sweetierose

13 years ago

Can someone guide me on J polyanthum? Is this plant good for growing indoors in zone 7? What about it's fragrance? The forum on polyanthum confuses me cause some say it's extremely fragrant, while others say it's not.
    Hope the climate continues to be nice & sunny, until spring peeps in, it'll help my sick little Jasmines to grow better.
    I shall post the photographs of the first flowers they gift me with.

Good growing everyone
    sweetie

13 years ago

I need urgent help with regard to my jasmines. If anyone could help me please. I had re-potted the jasmines a week after I received them as advised by Mehitabel & Kandhi. They were doing good, & have given out new shoots with buds. Since we were getting sun almost everyday, here in VA I used to keep them out in the morning sun for 4 hours, every two days. I started doing this a week after re-potting them though.
    However, I started noticing a rather unusual colour on the new leaves, it has been changing from light to dark-yellow green. But the size of the buds seems to be increasing rather slowly. I stopped keeping them out in the sun for the fear of killing them.
    Do you think it is normal & it is the signs of adjustment to the new environment? Should I treat them with a mild solution of fertilizer?

Kandhi, & Mehitabel if you both could help me out it would ease my anxiety.

Thanks,
    sweetierose

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Hi, sweetierose. I just can't tell from what you say whether there's a problem. Sun is good for them, but leaves do burn if too much sun at once after being indoors. Tender new growth is especially likely to burn. However, new leaves should come in tougher in more sun. So I don't think I would cut back on the sun now.

When I am worried about a plant, I do not give fertilizer as it can be harmful to a sick plant. However, a root stimulator, like Superthrive or other will help a plant get off to a good start in a new pot.

This time of year, my jasmines start to show the effects of a long winter without sun in a hard-water area. They show this by showing mature yellowish leaves. It's called chlorosis. There is actually less than normal chlorophyll in the leaves.

Normal jasmine leaves are a rich dark green, tho new tender growth may start off a bit lighter. But mature yellow leaves is what I'm talking about. If this is what you have, it's a typical too much winter reaction from a warmth loving plant. Gardenias do the same thing.

A dose of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and a dose of chelated iron usually clears up the chlorosis. If needed, I give a couple of doses. Water the plant thoroughly first. I just gave mine the first dose a few days ago, but haven't checked for results yet.

That's all I can think of that may be of help to you. But Khandi is the real expert here, she may have other ideas.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sweetierose, I would not recommend moving jasmines in and out at this time of the year in our area. Though it is sunny outside we still have temp below 50degrees. It would be a shock to the plants specially small newly transplanted plants. I have several jasmines that are still indoors in my sunroom, I never move my tropicals outside, specially jasmines until May. Maintain indoors at this time near sunny window where they get 4-5hrs sunlight. They may show with new growth at this time of the year but this is just the start and I would not expect many buds or blooms on jasmines at this time of the year. The yellowing of new growth is not a good sign, maintain them indoors. As mehitable said I would not give the plant any fertilizer, maybe a little supertrive for the new plant to settle. you can email me if you have any other questions.

13 years ago

Thank you Kandhi and Mehitabel, I was certain you would reply promptly. Infact the saddest part is, I don't have a window through wich my jasmines could get sunlight, my house is exposed to the south east but nestled in a dense forest hence the huge trees obstruct direct rays of the sun from reaching my window where the jasmines are. however they recieive bright light which i am sure is not sufficient, this is why I used to keep them out when the temp were above 60.

What is Superthrive? and how do I treat my plants with it?

The leaves are pale green when new, but just yesterday I noticed some of them turning to dark green. I think Kandhi was right I should keep them indoors in a well lit area until May.

Thanks once again.

13 years ago

Kandhi & Mehitabel,

Could you provide me the source from where I can buy Super-thrive? I am not sure if it is available in Home depot.
    Do you buy it from the manufacturer directly? (superthrive.com)
    Secondly, Can I use 1 Tbsp of Epsom salt per gallon of water for Jasmines? I was thinking of giving a good dose of Epsom salts till the time I get Super thrive, is this okay?
    Kandhi, I was trying to email you but I did not see your email id.

Thanks to both of you for your guidance.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

if you need to use Epsom salt, I would recommend a 1/4 tsp; 1 Tbsp is a lot.

13 years ago

Thanks Kemistry, I appreciate your immediate reply.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sweetierose, I sent you an email to this address rsweetie@rocketmail.com

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Please some one provide me the source where I can buy Jasmine with double flower and fragrance. There is an Internet site about some African Jasmine and from the picture that what I want but it always out of stock. I bought 4 Jasmine bushes with single flower and fragrance from Raintree nursery and I still have not have one flower yet.
    I love the ones posted by bunti who said bought from a Chinese store Where is it?
    Abe

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Abe, you can get double sambacs of the Grand Duke form at Almost Eden. These are very fragrant, and if you buy a large plant you will have flowers right away.

There are also two other forms of double sambac offered by Logee's which are intensely fragrant. One is Belle of India, and the other is Flore Plena. These are small plants, but bloom very early.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Thank You Mehitabel great.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Logee sends small plants but the quality is superb. Another place to look into is Accents for Home and Garden. They have many different type of Jasmine available and for sambac: Duke, Belle and Moo.

I got a Flore Plena from Logee in the Fall; it lost all its leaves, died back to a 3" twig, thought I would lose it but I see several new sprouts today, what a tough little thing! :o)

• donnamarienj
    13 years ago

What is TT?

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

TT is the initials of a tropicals nursery in Fla that was banned from here more than five years ago for spamming. Your post is still rejected if you use the name in a post.

Their plants used to be really good. You got a big sturdy plant, and they posted a picture of the plant actually for sale. Not as good lately, IMO. I got several weasely, puny plants in way too big pots from them last summer for $$$, so I don't buy there any more.

13 years ago

Can someone guide me on the type of pruner I need to buy for prunning Jasmines?

I also need to know on which part of the stem should I need to cut, (node, two fingers away from the internode etc).
    I have never prunned Jasmines before although I did so with roses.
    My Maid of Orleans is all done with(flowering) for March, I need to prune it so thaat she can bloom once again in summer.

If someone can provide me with the necessary information on the above, I will be greatful.

Thanks & Regards,
    SR

• kemistry
    13 years ago

No need to spend money, use something available at home! I would use a pair of scissors to snip off those young branches. :)

Prune your Moo into the shape you desire, it can take hard pruning. New growths are usually sprout the nodes.

And if you have cuttings of 2" or more you can start them, they root readily.

13 years ago

Thanks Kemistry. My mother had been doing it that way but I was not sure like some say, you have to make sharp snips so that there's no room for insects to seep in and scissors don't make sharp cuts sometimes if the stem is sturdy. But if it's safe I am sure it's the best and most economical way.
    Did you mean to say that I can root a cutting right away without using any hormones? If it's that simple it's great since I can offer some to my friend who went crazy when she saw my flowers.
    Lastly, Will I need to keep the cutting in water overnight before I root it the next day?

Thanks once again,

SR

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Yup they should root fine w/o the rooting hormones. I too would keep them in water so they stay fresh. Goodluck! :)

• vidnand
    12 years ago

Hi Kanthi,
    Your pics are beautiful. Will you be able to share some cuttings of 'mysore malli' and duke variety you have. I can pay for postage or trade.

Thanks,

Vidyaa

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    12 years ago

There is a seller on eBay (dhanstudio) that currently has a couple of Mysore Mulli jasmines left for sell.
    Just thought I'd share. :)

-Robert

• HappyEevee
    9 years ago

Can someone please help me. My Tuscany has some kind of insects on the bottom of the leaves and the leaves are falling.

• Mohd Khan
    2 years ago

jasmine CTR i have 75 kg in stock if any body intrested pls contact me. 9717971852