Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I grow a Jasmine

Posted by finchelover 5b-6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 16:58

I live in zone 5b-6 Kansas and wonder if there was a Jasmine I could grow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I grow a Jasmine

Have you looked into Winter Jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum)?

I have no personal experience with this plant -- it would be cooked alive here in the desert -- but it sounds like it could work well in your zone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Jasmine Planting Guide

o
RE: can I grow a Jasmine (oops!)

Just dawned on me you're probably looking for something with fragrance.

This one doesn't have any; it blooms in winter and there are few (if any) insects to attract with scent. Sorry!

o

finchelover, you can grow jasmines in Zone 5-6 if you are willing to winter them inside. If you are looking for a jasmine hardy in the ground in 5-6, I don't believe there are any.

o

From what I have read Confederate Jasmine is not a true Jasmine but it has the same fragrance as a Jasamine and so far for 2 winters mine has come back. I purchased it at Home Depot 3 years ago. I grew it in a pot the first year and moved it to the garage the firt winter.

The next summer it started growing up the wall I planted it in the garden next to the house and it has come back. They say evergreen but it is not evergreen in my climate but it comes back and bloomed June -August.

I found the tag it says....
Confedertae Jasmine, Trachelospermum Jasminoides
HARDY TO 0 DEGREES MULCH 3"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here