Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I get my gardenia to bloom....?

Posted by onecutesmile 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 14, 06 at 17:00

I have a gardenia that I think is an August Beauty that I purchased sometime in June or July (2006) from Target. The plant its self seems to be very healthy, although I haven't had blooms on it at all. I may need to feed it the Acidic type plant food, but other then that how can I get it bloom?? Any suggestions??

Kind Regards,
Steph

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I get my gardenia to bloom....?

Thats about the time I got my gardenia. It had some blooms on it when I bought it but they fell off. It's started to make new buds now though, and they are still tiny. From what I've read on the forums, its probably too hot right now for it to bloom. Don't worry.

o

may/june would likely have been its normal bloom time; at least for my area, it is always around memorial day.
not all gardenias will produce a second flush of flowers, although 'august beauty' does repeat in late summer.
perhaps it had already bloomed before you bought it and it could be settling in at its new location where you have it planted (transplant shock or heat stress). keep it well watered during this period of establishment and you should get flowers next summer.

o

Gardenias need a cooling off period to bloom..also, let soil really dry before watering. Then give it a hearty drink..you should then see buds..Toni

o

I have a slightly different problem, My gardenia has buds, but they wont open. It gets full sun and a light watering every evening, (automatic sprinklers) but the leaves look healthy, it was blooming WAY before now last year, and this year... well it's just having issues. Should i fertilize it, or is it too late?

o

How to get your gardenia to bloom?

1) Build an altar and sacrifice another one of your house plants to the Gardenia Gods
2) PRAY!
3) Plead with it to open the buds. Get on hands and knees, wring your hands, etc.
4) Try to bribe it with organic plant food
5) Tell it you'll take it with you on your next trip to Disneyworld if it will just BLOOM for you
6) Let it watch TV and stay up late to play video games
7) Get it drunk on cooking sherry and try to convince it to open its petals for you
8) Threaten to buy another gardenia (Warning: This may cause the buds to fall off)
9) Give it money
10) Take it out for a nice dinner at a swanky restaurant

o

Guen, though I grow my gardenias in containers, I still think they need the same type of care, though is less quantity.
Does it really need every-other-day watering? That sounds a bit too much..If you can find it, fertilize w/an azalea fertilzier. Gardenia buds seem to open faster when temps are cooler. They also last longer when kept cool/cold.

Mer, LOL Toni

o

Tanks, Toni! ;)

o

HI Toni
I have a 2 foot gardenia plant that is growing in a big plant container
it was transplanted 3 weeks ago
now it is losing it leaves on the lower branches.
can you please help me try to save this plant and also I would like to know how much water does it need when its growing outside
Thank you in advance
Richie

o

In a hot climate like Florida what would be the best fertilizer to encourage blooms? And what time of year is it possible to bloom? My gardenia looks healthy but no flowers.

o

Hi, I live in FL also and I use Miracid fertilizer( according to directions on package) , but when I repotted my gardenia I also added dynamite fertilizer(slow release)mixed in my potting mix for container plants. I used the red container. There are about 6-8 different ones that they make. I purchased mine in Dec and it bloomed the first time for me in May. I have some buds right now and couple of opened blooms. Mine also likes a lot of water right now, but since we have been getting rain I haven't had to water it.Normally I water it every 2-3 days, but I do have mine potted in very fast draining soil...mine only gets morning sun (no afternoon sun).

Its grown quite a bit in just 2 1/2 months since the May picture, as you can see more growths but less flower this time around.

Here's a picture of it taken a few days ago. Few blooms...

This was taken in May when it was in full bloom

o

Richie, how much larger is the new container compared to the old? Though Gardenias need space to grow, like most flowering plants, they prefer being a bit potbound.
Allow your tree to adapt to its new growing pot. Also, the container should have drainage, otherwise water/rain build up can suffocate roots. I can't tell if your 'denia is planted in an inner and outer pot. If there's an outer pot, a few hours after watering/rain, discard excess water.
Last summer I lost a tree 'denia by neglecting to empty outer pot. The rain water was so stagnant it made me sick.
BTW, your set up looks very nice..the pot doesn't seem all that big for the tree size..

Lee, I wish worrying which month my 'denia'd bloom was my only plant problem..In other words, count your blessings you're living in a warm climate. Fl. (S)

Pug, your 'denia is absolutely gorgeous!!! Look at those flowers..I was happy finding 5 last week..LOL. Your flowers are so waxy/healthy-looking they look artificial, (that's a compliment.)
For a while, we got a ton of rain, plus cool nights. Between the two my 'denia set out 5 flowers and several buds. It was repotted last month (after 13 yrs in the same pot) given a dose of Azalea fertilizer, Superthrive and Epsom Salt. But mine looks nowhere near as nice as yours..Toni

o

Wow, pug lover! That is a divine Gardenia teenager. Wait for her to mature wait, that dog does not look like a pug from behind. Am I talking too much?

o

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the nice compliments...really appreciate it! A lots of hard work, tons of TLC and Miracid, Epsom,etc. went into that gardenia. I was determined to make that thing grow and be healthy or die trying, LOL. Especially after reading the infamous "gardenia suicidal Post".

Snasxs, it is a pug's behind, he is always near or by my plants, he thinks he is part owner of it I guess, LOL...Thanks for the nice compliment also! He is a very nosy dog!

o

LOL Pug, I thought your doggie was a statue.."time to see the eye doc." LOL
Obviously, you've given your 'denia a lot of TLC. How often do you fertilize? What exactly is Dynomite fertilizer? LOL Is it chemical or organic? Not that it matters, as long as it's not foliar..(birds) Toni

o

Toni, sometimes I wish he was a statue, LOL. Wouldn't have to walk,feed,bathe...not really. He is a really good dog and funny!

I attached a website for the Dynamite Fertilizer below. they make several different ones, but any of them should work, since I supplement mine with miracid every two weeks according to the package directions...Just click on the container you want more info on. They sell some of them at Home Depot and Wally world.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite Plant Food

o

hi hopefulauthor
I'm sorry for the delay in replying back
The gardenia was transplanted from a 7 gallon to 12 and half gallon container.
it does have drainage nothing is blocking the botton of the pot.
I was watering it about every 2 days but not sure if I am going over board with the watering.
any ideas as to what it can be?
so it has no bugs. i think its getting ok water. it is getting many flower buds. some may open soon.
this plant has bloom like crazy. I will post a picture of it soon of when the whole bush was loaded with open flowers.
I hope some how I can get it to stop this leave lost it has.
Thank you
Richie

o

Here is the picture of my gardenia mystery when she was younger

Richie

o
Here is my gardenia mystery

Here is the same gardenia today with a new flower and still has some problems with some of thr leaves but the flower is a good sign

Richie

o

Pug, lol, sometimes I wish ALL my pets were statues..no feeding, cooking, cleaning and picking up poop..LOL.
I'm kidding, too. I love all my little ones..They and plants are my best friends.
Gotta hold off on fertilizers right now..I have about 13 types in the back room.
BTW, you mentioned Epsom Salts..How much and often do you add? The brand name container has plant info on the side panel. Since I've been buying generic ES's, the bags/boxes do not offer dossages. Also, do you sprinkle on soil or add with water?

Richie, Wow, that's a huge increase in pot size. I hope you used well-draining and sliglhy acidic soil.
Gardenia leaves sometimes yellow. Personally, I dont think they like change. Too much water, too little, cloudy days, sunny days..They're so picky..(S)
If your Gardenia is budding, I'd let it be. Remove yellow leaves..though some people disagree, when dying branches or yellow leaves are left on a plant, nutrients focus on the bad parts instead of healthy growth. I read this years ago in an 'antique' plant book, even though times have changed, many of the old ways are correct. (call me old-fashioned.) Also, yellow/brown leaves look unsightly, so what's the point of leaving them? You know what I mean?
Yes, take a pic when you have time.

Cool, I had no idea Mystery grew that tall..Impressive. Toni

o

Hi hopefulauthor
I know what you mean I also take the bad leaves and bad branches off. it has miracle gro potting soil and amend it with a little more peat moss so its ph stays around 5.5
it does drain well I am cutting down on watering until 3 or 4 days has pass so that way I dont over water it and when I do water its only a 1 or 2 inch's of water.
as for feeding it I feed it every 14 days and as you could see in the pictures it did grow a lot.
Next time I have a gardenia in a 7 gallon plant container
I will try to plant it in a 10 gallon first then 12 so that it does not get over waterd to easy
the Mystery I heard that they can grow up to 4 feet.
hopefulauthor: can you post a picture of your gardenia
Take Care
Richie

o

Richie,

Yellowing leaves at the lower branches can indicate either overwatering or death of a portion of the plant's rootball. If the yellowing of the leaves progresses and slowly climbs to the top of the branches at an 'anomalous' rate, then overwatering could be the issue. If not, then I am inclined to think a portion of the plant's rootball has died during the transplanting. This usually happens when you place the root ball deeper into the soil in the new pot than it was originally, in the previous pot. Some plants can manage this sort of stress but some can ultimately die especially when another significant stress is introduced. (Ex. overwatering or overfertilization).

Regarding the $1 million dollar question, 'How do I get my gardenia to bloom?',
the answer is quite simple:

If your gardenia is healthy and green with lots of dark green foliage and vigorous growth but refuses to flower, the answer may be right above your head: SUN.
Mature, healthy plants whatever they are, be it roses, gardenias, orchids, apples, mangoes, etc. that refuse to flower almost always mean they need MORE STRESS.

For most plants, the SUN is a major STRESSOR that encourages flowering. Higher radiant energy levels mean that a plant doesn't need to produce PLENTY of leaves to catch as much RADIANT energy as possible for its photosynthetic activities. The growth tends to favor flowering when sunlight is more than enough; otherwise, more foliage is produced.

Water stress is also an important factor. An occasional underwatering will discourage vigorous foliage development and encourage blooming. The reason is because under low water conditions, growing more foliage is detrimental to the plant's survival during the perceived 'drought'. Leaves release water through transpiration so for most plants, more leaves mean more moisture loss and therefore, lower chances of survival.

Also, 'climate stressors' like 'drought' or 'winter' threatens a plant's extinction. The 'survival' mode of plants enable them to initiate 'reproduction' (that is, flowering and fruiting) when threatened with extinction. This adaptation enables plants to survive and perpetuate. Even if the mother plants don't survive the 'drought' or the 'winter', their progeny (seeds) at least, will, just in time for the 'milder' weather conditions ahead.

tropical

o

hi tropical
It is planted at the same hight as the old plant container.
I think what has happen is part of the root system may have got damage during the transplanting.
but if this is the case will it recover
or is it a lost cause?
also it has flower for me yesterday.
it has well drain miracle gro potting soil ph around 5.5 and I use to feed it once a month but now I think I will feed
light with miracle gro azalea camellia and rhodoendendron plant food 1 teaspoon per gallon every 7 to 10 days to help restore it. then once recoverd every 2 weeks.
your right about the watering.
it has been raining here in tampa fl
almost everyday and heavy at times.
so I think the answer is over watering.
what I will do is check with a wood dovel
and when its almost dry then water it well.
take care
Richie

o

Hey Toni,

I use about 1 Table ES per gallon of water on my gardenia, usually every 3-4 weeks(if I remember, LOL). But the main thing I try to do diligently is I add MG Acid Fertilizer every 2 weeks...as per directions on the package. I also buy generics (Kmart brand). This seems to keep my yellow leaves at a minimum and blooms every so often. I also use Chel. Iron every 4-5 weeks to keep the leaves nice and deep green. This is w/out a doubt my MOST high maintenance plants I have...If I used this much stuff on any other plant, I would have killed it by now with "over-fertilization". For some reason for me, this plant requires it!

Nice plant Richie...Great Job!!

o

Thanks puglvr1
I use wood chips on the gardenias soil to
keep the roots cool. I also found out that
with this on the soil It will need less water so instead of watering every 3 or 4 days
may be it can hold out longer between waterings.
lol puglvr1 it seems like gardenia's love food more
then other plants but when you get the sweet smell
of the gardenia flower after it blooms it more then make up for all that hard work
I found what looks to be like a shell of a bug.
it was suck on the branch so I pull it off and threw it in the trash.
Take care
Richie

o

Hi Richie,

Most plants (gardenias included) can recover from some form of 'mild' root damage. I think your gardenia will recover so long as you keep alert and watch out for 'warning signs' and correct them immediately.

You did not say the extent of yellowing of leaves. Yellowing and dropping of a few LOWERMOST/OLDEST leaves is normal so long as the rate is normal. By normal, I mean that the rate of yellowing DOES NOT exceed and is VERY LOW compared to the rate at which new leaves grow and mature.

If however, the rate of yellowing of leaves is 'anomalous', something is wrong with the plant. By 'anomalous', I mean that even if you remove ALL the yellowed and yellowing leaves one day, they are back again in a few days.

One more thing: Do make sure your domestic water (water from your faucet) is not 'softened' water. 'Softened' water is usually alkaline rather than acidic. If you use this kind of water, you will need regular 'acidifying' just to keep your gardenias alive (hence, very 'high maintenance').

For gardenias in stress, I recommend watering only with collected RAINWATER (which is slightly acidic) until such time the gardenia recovers and is in 'STABLE' condition.
If you don't have RAINWATER, distilled water or UNTREATED deep well water will do.

tropical

o

Hi tropical
the yellowing is almost every 3 days.
it seems to have slow them a bit tho.
what I do is use a watering can fill it up with tap water then wait until the next day to use the water to water the plants.
I will try feeling it every week with a weak dose of plant food to keep the soil in check.
I dont want to lose this plant it has brough my and my girlfriend a lot of joy.
Take Care
Richie

o

Richie,

That's alarming. My experience with my own gardenias (2-3 ft plants) has been that after I remove all yellowed and yellowing leaves (which is usually a few), it will take about 2-3 weeks before I get new yellowed or yellowing leaves again.

In some of my very healthy plants, I actually don't remember pulling any yellowed or yellowing leaves at all because they are so few in a month (sometimes none) and they are hidden among the majority of the leaves which are healthy and green. Of course, I live in a tropical climate with two seasons only (much like dry summer and wet summer only) so there may be differences in how your plant copes up with the changing seasons especially from summer to autumn to winter.

Anyway, just closely monitor your plant and make necessary corrective actions if needed.

Hope everything is well.

Warm regards.

tropical

o

hi tropical
I agree about the yellow leaves.
I am hoping that after it drys out a bit from all that rain that it will recover.
I'm confuse if I should feed it every week or two weeks due to the yellow leaves.
how often do you water your gardenia?
I water two times a week and use a wood dovel to check for the moisture level before watering again.
can you share on how you care for your gardenias I want to compare to see where am I going wrong this plant is nice and I want to save it
Take Care
Richie

o

]-Richie, I took pics of my Gardenia tonight. Now I'll have to transfer to Flicker, then dl here..lol

Richie, IMO, adding bark could cause problems.
I use Cedar Mulch for plants grown in the ground..it prevents weeds and it's said the scent of Cedar keeps insects away.

Pug I'll get back to you tomorrow..It's 1:16am..lol..night
I've worked in plant stores..More times than not, the soil of tropicals covered with mulch/bark had tons of Fungus Gnats.
We all have our own ways growing plants, but I learned, long ago, most soil needs to dry between waterings, from slight to severe. But of course this is your opinion..Keep an eye on the soil. If you see Fungus Gnats hiding toss the bark. They are tiny, black flying bugs that live inside soil.
I'm sorry, I don't know where you live, but if you're in a cold climate and bring plants indoors during winter, I'd dispose of the bark before bringing in the house. If it were my Gardenia.

o

Richie,

If it doesn't rain in my tropical climate, I water my gardenias every morning. The reason is because in our hot tropical climate, the soil dries up really fast. By late afternoon, you can already see tiny cracks on the surface of the soil even if it has been watered in the morning.

Oftentimes, I do miss the daily watering scheme and manage to water every other day with the soil even much drier in between waterings than before. However, my gardenias don't seem to mind it.

About the only time I experienced gardenias with yellowing leaves was before I planted them in the ground. They were potted in loamy soil which I kept constantly wet or moist.

I have reason to believe gardenias are very sensitive to overwatering and consistently moist soil. They seem to really like to dry out in between waterings.

I don't know where you live or what your climate is, but I think wherever you are and whatever plant you have, you only have 3 basic things to consider in 'troubleshooting' plant problems:

1) Is the plant getting adequate sun? For gardenias, more sun is better.

2) Is the plant growing in good soil? The soil should drain well and should have lots of 'organic' matter. If you see earthworms in the soil, then the soil is well aerated and perfect for plants. If your soil is good, chemical fertilizers should not be necessary. Too much fertilizer can cause root burn and can kill plants. Fertilizer burn is indicated by browning of leaf tips. (I know, I have killed lots of plants this way together with overwatering.)

3) Is the plant properly watered? All plants in nature are adapted to survive periods of dryness and wetness. Don't worry if you let the plant dry in between waterings. Gardenias prefer it to being wet all the time. I think the only plants which like wet soil all the time are bog or wetland plants. For most other plants, the least amount of moisture in the soil doesn't bother them at all. Just a little moisture is enough to make them grow and survive.

You can also check out my earlier post about gardenias here:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fragrant/msg03202643740.html

Hope this helps.

tropical

o

hi tropical
ok I think I will feed it every 2 weeks instead of every 7 days.
I live in Tampa FL and it gets 1 hour of sun may be I should move it to were it can get more sun light.
as far is watering I think so far 2 times a weeks is good but well I will adjust the watering as needed
Thanks the advice
Take Care
Richie

o

Hey Toni,

I have been using Pine bark fines in my soil for almost 2 years, with no problems with gnats or bugs(thank goodness). My mix consists of Pine bark fines,turface,coarse silica sand and some (small amount of peat)(Al) Tapla's potting mix. This mix has worked really well for me. That's one of the reasons my soil is very fast draining and requires more watering than the normal soil I used to use.I have practically all my plants in the same mix, with very good results...For me it has saved a lot of plants that weren't doing well. I know that everyone has their own soils that works for them, I'm not trying to tell people to use this mix, just saying that it has worked very well for me and my plants...

Toni, looking forward to seeing your gardenia pics...Take care

Richie, sounds like part of the problem is what you said...you have been getting rain(heavy at times) almost everyday. That could definitely cause problems for potted gardenias, especially if your soil is mostly peat. The soil doesn't have enough time to dry out before the next rain. If you can, maybe put the pot under a patio cover when you know its going to rain. I know this can be hard since you may not be there when it rains. It would help if you can keep it from the rain for a few days.

Good luck and know that soon enough the rainy season will be over for us(FL). I haven't had nearly as much rain as you guys in Orlando. Only had over 6" for the month of July, I know some of you had that in just 2-3 days!

o

hi puglvr1
I agree with puglvr1 to much rain water
is whats wrong with this gardenia.
from what I read in the meter book it saids water when the reading is around 6
cause number 5 is when the plants are near the wilt point. the wilting point is around 4-5
when I check for moisture I will also with the wood dovel.
as far as feeding I will have to feed it every 2 weeks for sure.
a weak amount per gallon every seven
days until it has recover the lost leaves.
with a little luck it will come back with new pretty leaves and flowers.
Take Care
Richie

o

Tropical you've given wonderful advice. Thanks.

Pug, are your Gardenias potted in containers or in ground? Are they kept outdoors year round?
I should have been more specific regarding bark/moss.
Never assume, which is what I did..For some reason I 'assumed' Richie lived in a cold climate.
You guys are SO lucky living in Fl..
IMO, when plants are grown outdoors, in containers or the earth, adding moss/bark/mulch isn't a problem. In fact, mulch prevents weeds, and Ceder keeps bugs at bay.
The reason is, plants are surrounded by fresh air, proper sunlight, humidity, etc, BUT once a plant is brought indoors, especially in homes heat is turned on for months on end, air is dry, and lacks air circulation, you can bet problems will arise.
We all know, the number 1 plant killer is overwatering. So, imagine an overwatered plant, its roots sitting in constantly wet soil, then covered with moss to boot. Stale air, lack of light, humidity..This combo will eventually invite pests or kill a plant. Especially plants like Gardenias.
The majority of ppl in IL who purchase Gardenias, set them outside as accent plants..come fall, these, among many other beautys, are tossed in the alley for Thursday's trash pickup.

One example is growing annuals or perrenials inside. These plants do fantastic out in the open, but once they're brought indoors, more than not, insects attack. A decrease in light is one thing, (though little sun isn't the cause of bugs.) Arid conditions and lack of air circulation is.
So my point is, if a tropical is brought indoors, keeping moss on soil would probably conjure bugs. Mainly FG's. Believe me, Pug, I've seen it, not a pretty site..When I worked in a plant store, every plant shipped that contained moss had hundreds of FG's..BTW, plants were sent from different locations.
We'd lift the moss and there they go, running for dear life. It was gross!! Out went the moss.

Spanish Moss is gorgeous. It really looks nice placed atop soil, especially on upright plants..But if it comes to looks vs attracting pests, moss has to go.

If we could set up exhaust fans throughout the house during winter, plants would do great..lol..but that's contradicting heat vs cold air.

Richie, I apologize assuming you lived in a cold climate.

Pug, I didn't mean combining bark in a medium wrong. In fact, it's a great idea. I again 'assumed' Richie was talking about adding bark 'atop' his soil. I know never ass u me..LOL

Does anyone know where I can find the Suicide Gardenia thread??? I'd like to reread it, if it's still available. Thanks, Toni

o

Hey Toni,

No worries, LOL...we all have assumed at one time or another(me more times than I care to admit). Guess what? My DH just bought me another gardenia tree(small one)small canopy right now, but about 16-18"tall, he said Kmart had it on Clearance for $4.99 regular was $19.99. He knows what a plant addict I am and knew how much I love gardenias so be bought it for me. So now I have 3 Potted and 1 in the ground. Three of them are the grafted "Miami supreme" tree and one is a "Dwarf" bush.

They are all outside, and since we only get a few occasional frost days here, they will be outside fro probably most of the year. The tag on it says it can take to 15-20 degrees? I hope it NEVER gets that cold here, LOL! We had one day(Jan) where it dipped around 27-29 degrees for a few hours in the early morning. That was enough for me.

Toni, I found the link for the suicidal thread below, enjoy reading it again...it is hilarious!! Take care!

Tropical, I agree with Toni, GREAT Advise!!

Here is a link that might be useful: SUICIDAL GARDENIA THREAD...

o

Hi Toni
well I when and got 7 gallon containers for my other gardenias that are in 5 gallon pots. well transplant them tomorrow they are in need of more room I got expert gardner potting soil it drains fast and yet is lose so the plants should be ok.
as far as the one in trouble I can only wait and see if it recovers. i hope it does
take care
Richie

o

i transplanted 1 gardenia it was really tight in the container that some roots where damaged. will it be ok?
Take care
Richie

o

what I mean is will this gardenia be ok being that durning the transplant many root was damaged.
Please let me know
Richie

o

can someone Please answer my question
I need help with this
Thanks
Richie

o

Richie, It is hard to say for sure if it is damaged or not without seeing the plant, plus I'm not an expert, so I doubt I can tell just by looking at it. I'm sure it also depends on how much of it was damaged also. All you can do is wait and see how the plant behaves. I have trimmed(cut off) roots before on a different plant and has done fine. But I "Cut" it off, not damage it. Just watch it for a few days or so and see if anything starts to show up...Maybe someone here can help more. Good Luck!!

o

thanks for the advice Pug it seems to be ok will wait to see what it does in a few more days.
the big gardenia mystery is going down hill. today 8 bad leaves. only thing I know for sure is that where the plant is
now is not getting the sunlight it use to get. I move it to another place that gets more sun hope it works or i will change the soil with als mix. I may have to water it more but atleast I know its good potting soil.
Take Care
Richie
P.S. tropical you where right about the sun light. it was not getting enough of it.
Toni: post the pictures of your gardenia please

o

I hope these work..LOL I should have carried each plant away from others because they all blend in..here goes:

GardenaTree

Gardenia95-08

GardeniaDwarf

GardeniaVariegated

Hope these open..The first two are the same Gardenia..It's 13 years ago.
The other two variegateds were recently purchased..Hope they live..Toni

o

Pug, it was sooo nice of your hubby buying you a plant..And what a deal!!! That's the difference buying plants in warm climates opposed to cold.
Store owners here that consider a plant rare mark up prices that are unbeliebable. We wouldn't find a '4"' potted Gardenia for 4.99..the 20.00 price, yes, but not 5.00.
I've talked to people in Fl who buy Citrus for dirt cheap. Every so often, the stores here sell 10" potted Calamondins starting at 19.99. That is a sale price. One nursery that truly sells gorgeous plants charge a fortune. 70.00-600.00 depending on size and type of citrus..isn't that awful?
What's worse is, I HATE winter. Walgreen's has Halloween stuff out, already..it's early August, for God's sakes.
I was talking to a man who lives east..(cold climate) and he said, he and his wife went to Cracker Barrel..they have Christmas decor up now..is that insane or what?? What happened to summer? heck, fall? Sheesh.
Thanks for the suicide site..I feel like reading through..Yes, it's funny..
Pug, count your blessings that you're in Fl. In Jan, while we're struggling to keep our 'denia's from contracting mites, yours will be outdoors, in cool but fresh air plus humidity..lucky lucky (S)

Richie, are you saying you repotted your Gardenia in a pot that barely fits the roots?? If so, I'm sorry to say this but if you had to struggle with roots to fit in the new pot, you need a larger container.
Perhaps I misread your post. I hope that's the case.
There are some drawbacks when repotting a plant, but if repotting is done carefully, without disturbing its roots, everything should go smooth.
I use a product called Superthrive. It really works on stressed plants, and perks those that are healthy.
Not everyone believes Superthrive works, but I'm sold on the stuff..It's a hormone with 50 vitamins. Toni

o

here are 2 new gardenia flowers
Richie

o
hi Toni

Hi Toni
the old pot that the gardenias where in was tight trying to remove them from those old pots was hard and some root broke off but the good news is that they are doing
good so far. they was transplanted from 5 gallon pot into
7 gallon pots.
Toni: your gardenias look great thanks for posting the pictures. i post a few pictures of new flowers today
let know what you think of that stress out gardenia mystery
where can I find Superthrive? I want to try some of that
so far I move the gardenia mystery to more sun in the morning then when its around 11:30am I move it into shade its a lot of work but as long as she is happy then I am ok with doing that everyday today it had one bad leave vs the 3 or 8 per day that she was getting.
Take Care
Richie

o

Hey Toni,

Your gardenias looks GREAT!! Very Pretty! I especially Love the variegated...I will have to check my local box/nursery for one those, LOL. Prefer not to have to pay for shipping, you know what I mean? Yes, it is nice to get some bargains here once in a while, $4.99 for a small gardenia tree is really an excellent price. Thanks for posting those pics!

Richie, Next time, if you have to repot a plastic nursery pot and it is potbound, you can cut the black nursery pot very carefully and slide it out gently so NOT to damage the roots. Of course if your just repotting a regular pot, this method won't work. Like Toni says, you will just have to be as careful as you can, but accidents happen. It looks like your plant will probably be okay...Very nice pictures!

o

hi puglvr1
Thanks next time I will try cutting the
plastic nursery pots so that the roots dont get damaged
today its looks good I dont see any yellow leaves just yet so far so good. looks like the extar sun was what it needed
4.99 for a gardenia is really good.
the lowest price I paid for one was 9.99
puglver1: when you have a chance please post a picture of the new gardenia
Take Care
Richie

o

Hi Richie,

I'm glad your gardenia is responding well to more sun.
How about leaving it out in full sun so you don't have
to move it back and forth everyday?

My gardenias are actually in full tropical sun and they love it. They never burn. Of course, I live near the 'equator' so our sun is 'tropical' and it could be different to your 'subtropical' Florida sun.

Just try it though and see if your plant responds well to it. If not, you can always revert back to your usual daily transferring of your plant.

Regarding the 'root damage' question, so long as the 'root damage' is minimal, the plant should survive. The most serious root damage you can get is when you lose ALL of the tiny roots and retain only the largest ones.

Nutrient absorption occurs at the smallest roots and at the root hairs so a plant without those tiny roots will pretty much behave like a 'rootless' plant.

Here's an analogy: If the bigger roots are the 'arms' of the plant, the smaller roots are its 'fingers'. The plant can survive losing an 'arm' so long as the other 'arms' are still equipped with 'fingers'. However, if a plant loses all its 'fingers', even if it still has its 'arms' intact, it is pretty much 'incapacitated'. (Imagine a human being with the same predicament.)

This severe form of root damage (losing all the smaller roots) is likely to cause severe setback to the plant if it manages to survive, or death if it doesn't grow new roots. A plant with this kind of root damage is like a fresh cutting planted in soil. If it doesn't grow new roots, it will eventually die. For gardenias, death is more likely since they don't easily root from cuttings.

tropical

o

Hey Richie...Your Mystery is looking really really good. Its leaves are vibrant green, and flowers pure white. Young flowers, right? What's its age?
I'm about an inch from ordering Mystery, lol..its flower shape is so different from Gardenia J.
You can find Superthrive on Ebay..Do you shop on Ebay? If not, let me know and I'll look elsewhere. Most places charge 9.99 for a 4 oz bottle. They sell 2oz, 4oz, and up. If you buy at a local nursery, it's usually way overpriced.
I use 4 drops of ST per gallon of water. Richie I've well over 300 plants..one 4oz bottle last a year. Check out their site, www.superthrive.com (think they still have the offer,) for .60 they'll send a sample size container.
Wow, you really move your 'denia a lot..LOL..What do you do when it rains? One thing, Gardenias love rain water. After a storm they really perk up.
Ouch, your denia must have been really rootbound. When a plant is so tight it won't slip from its pot, it's best to cut the plastic, or if clay, break w/a hammer. The object when repotting is to avoid messing with roots.
I've talked to people on Gw and while working at 2 different plant stores. For some reason they got it in their heads, when transplanting from pot A to pot B, they had to untangle every root, then wondered why their plant was dying. LOL.
Thanks to you and Pug for complimenting my 'denia..I can't believe I posted it..my porch was a mess. We had front windows installed last wk..Junk everywhere..Plants on the steps aren't in order, plus I was plucking weeds that were left on the steps. It's a mess!!

Pug, I wonder how far Almost Eden Plants is from you. Visiting the gh would be so much fun and no shipping costs!! I'll find their addy. Their variegated Gardenias are really nice and bug free.

Tropical, mind if I ask a question?
When bonsai roots are pruned or a tropical, with the intent of keeping it smaller in size, are all roots clipped? Large and small? This all sounds confusing..LOL. Thanks, Toni

o

Toni,

I haven't tried my hand at bonsai, but yes, I believe bonsai enthusiasts who transplant a plant to a small container for 'bonsai' purposes 'prune' their plants' roots
so they fit in the small container. The 'pruning'may include big roots and smaller ones but never exclusively all of the small ones only. The bonsai enthusiast would want to preserve the 'normal' root structure with big, medium and smaller roots left behind for better chances of the plant surviving.

Normally, if you pulled an established plant from the soil because you want it transplanted, the pulling action selectively removes mostly the smallest roots only as they are the ones that easily break off. This mode of 'transplanting' the plant causes 'extreme' shock and some plants can never quite recover from this type of 'reckless' transplanting. You normally would want to retain as much of the smaller roots as possible for better chances of survival for the plant.

tropical

o

Ok, here is another explanation why the smallest roots of a plant should not be dismissed off as unimportant:

Imagine our own circulatory system with the network of veins and arteries. While the large veins and arteries are important, the importance of the NUMEROUS, tiny, 'capilliaries' cannot be underestimated. It is at the capilliaries level where oxygen and nutrient uptake takes place. Without these numerous microscopic capilliaries with all its mind-boggling surface area, we will all starve and suffocate to death. The same is true with the plants. It is at the tiniest root levels where majority of the crucial nutrient absorption and oxygen exchange takes place. The sheer surface area of these smallest roots makes the nutrient absorption highly efficient. If you severely cut down the root surface area by removing all of the tiniest roots, the plant is going to suffer severe setback and can even die. There are better chances of survival if more of the tiny roots are retained (more root surface area retained).

tropical

o

Hi Toni
This Gardenia is about one year old
theses flowers are still open at day three
and have not turn yellow yet
I have not shop on ebay yet.
I will check out the superthrive
web site to see if they still sell the superthrive.
lucky for me these gardenias that were transplanted are going strong.
I was worry about the root damage and from what I read from tropical's post
I did not damage the roots to badly so
they will be ok.
Thanks for the advice tropical
LOL I have to move it into the morning sun then out of the afternoon sun because
if I do leave it in full sun it will have leaves that look like its in need of water even if I have given it water yesterday. The sun in Tampa Fl is really hot in the after noon durning the summer.
I wish my house had a perfect spot to leave it in where it gets morning sun
and after noon shade.
if it is raining lol I just let the
gardenia drink all that rain water
Do you have a lowes store near you?
Here in Tampa they do sell the msytery gardenia for $9.99 and give you a one year money back guarantee if the plant become sick to the point that it cant be saved
Take Care
Richie

o

Toni, are we talking about the same "Almost Eden Plants Nursery"? I looked them up on yahoo and they are located in Louisiana...is there one in FL? Let me know...thanks! I live in Central FL, two hours south of Orlando. It's showing appx. 14 hours one way, LOL...too far for me to drive...

o

puglvr1: does your gardenia get new leaves that have what looks like some yellow spots?
if so what is the best way to stop this from turning the rest of the leaves like that?
Thank you
Richie

o

Richie, I haven't noticed any of my new leaves that have yellow spots. I've had the older ones have a yellow veining pattern, usually some iron or fertilizer defiency. But I know that doesn't apply to you since you fertilize yours regularly. I'm not sure I know what that might be...Maybe someone might be able to shed some light.Sorry...

o

hi puglvr1
I do feed every 2 weeks. i use to mist the leaves with water but I heard thats bad for gardenias.
ok I will add some iron on the leaves to see what happens.
question I know that gardenia food has iron in it.
but is this enough iron or does it needs more?
oh boy lol this is one hard plant to keep in good shape.
Take Care
Richie

o
here is a link to some gardenia info

Hi Pug
Check out this link I found just now and
let me know what you think about the infor on it
Take Care
Richie

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenia info

o

Richie, that's a great article, but I think they are talking more about growing it indoors, which we do not have to do, since we live in FL. That is one of the reasons I have mine in very fast draining soil so that I can water it thoroughly each time and let it dry out a bit, I never let it go bone dry since it seems to me that this stresses out my plant. But if you have mostly peat in your potting mix, you will need to let the soil dry out more than mine, since it retains a lot more moisture than the mix I use...You are right, this is one plant that requires a lot more attention.

By the way don't add iron to your gardenia, more than every 4-5 weeks, too much might do it some damage too. Just do the recommended or if you want to add it more often cut the dosage in half or third. That way its not being overdosed...

o

hi puglvr1
I used two table spoons of iron in a gallon of water.
to see if the leaves with yellow spots green up. about the iron it says to 2 table spoon in a gallon of water so i think i will only do this once every 4 weeks and feed every two weeks.
as for watering the gardenia i more or less know when it needs water with out the use of the meter anymore.
I am glad we live in FL cause the gardenias grow well here.
I do not mist the leaves like before due to I seen them get blown spots if I mist them everyday.
i have a friend in New york and she grows gardenias but she has had her fair share of problem with them their.
she use boil the water and let it cool so that the gardenia gets good drinking water.
puglvr1: maybe I will start doing that to clean up its drinking water lol.
Take Care
Richie

o

Hey Tropical..I love your comparison..That scared the heck out of me. Hope a doctor doesn't decide to 'prune' my tiny roots, oops, I mean veins, arts and caps..LOL.
You've given me something to think about. I have a few plants in small containers..2 Ficus and a 2 Adeniums (Desert Rose)
The Adeniums came in small containers. I don't know if they should go into larger pots or not since I have no intention of growing either as bonsais. Maybe someone in Cactus and Succulent forum has an answer.
One Ficus, (don't know its species) is growing in a bonsai pot. Its trunk is huge..Eventually, it's going to need new soil. After reading your post, I have NO idea what to do when it comes to pruning..LOL. I fear trimming roots..It's a gorgous plant, its trunk at least 4" diamter. I'd like for it to grow as a bonsai. What to do???

Richie, don't worry about repotting. I understand Tropicals advice, and yes some people go too far. I've worked in two nurseries, talked to customers about their repotting techniques. When it comes to repotting, some people, many people, think they have to remove every, single speck of soil when transferring pots. Not so. Many wash off roots. IMO, going this far will definaely cause a plant to go in shock.
The only time I would consider doing something so drastic is, if a plant (I wanted, dearly) had Soil Mealy. And I'd really have to want the plant to do such a thing. LOL. Experts recommend repotting moist soil. I disagree. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, (I'm no expert) but repotting when soil is dry works best for me. The rootball should slip out of its pot without resistence, tearing everything to shreds. If it doesn't slip easily, then, using a knife, I gently loosen soil nearest the edge of pot until it's free. 'Again, I'm not telling anyone how to repot, this is how I do it.' Therefore, no torn roots or foliage, plant pops out of old container, placed in new with fresh soil, and watered. No problems. I've tried repotting when soil was moist, which was a disaster..Never again.
Richie, you might have answered already, is your Gardenia in or outdoors? Once you find THE perfect spot, a place your tree is happy, keep it there, but don't forget to rotate 1/4 turn once a wk.
You sound so happy about your tree..LOL. I like that in a person. It's the little things that make our daily lives livable.

Pug, Pug Pug..I am soooo sorry. You know, I visit way too many nurseries..You are correct..Almost Eden is in LA, not Fl. I've only ordered and talked to them a dozen times, you'd think I'd remember..sheesh..I'm so sorry. Most nurseries I order from are in Fl, so I have Fl on the brain.

Richie, sometimes plants acquire little, round yellow spots..it can be something simple or as problematic as fungus. Are the yellow spots multiplying? I don't know the name of the fungus, but we have a trailing rose on the side of our house. It gets yellow spot when there's a lot of rain, something we have no control over. But we do have control watering potted plants. Unlike Pug and many other plant lovers, I allow soil to dry before watering. (Unless it's a Bog plant.) It seems some plants are more susceptable to yellow spot..Stephonotis for sure. (Once again, I'm not telling you or anyone else how often to water.) :)
As for Iron, it's best applying either Iron Sulfate or Iron Chelate 3 times per year..Most fertilizers contain iron, but not enough to make much difference, especially for plants that are prone to Chlorosis. Gardenias, Azaleas, Hibiscus etc.
Like Pug stated, it's good to use, but don't overdo it. Too much of anything can cause more problems than not.
As for misting, that's debatable..I mist religiously. (unless plant is budding or blooming.)
You guys in Fl are surrounded with humidity..we in Il, during winter months, have days w/5%...Thankfully, there are humidifers, and other things we can do..so misting and showering is part of plants winter routine. Showering is more beneficial than misting, but when we have 300+ plants, it's too much..lol. Our shower is upstairs, so there's no easy way to haul heavy plants up a flight of stairs. Plants on the main floor are brought to the sink, and hosed. Plus, plants are misted daily, (not cactus and succulents.)

Richie, I've talked to people who boil water..LOL..What we do for our plants, huh?
Years ago, after reading an article about soil that was supposed to be sterile, yet contained weed seed and insects. I bought over 100lbs of soil, purchased aluminum pans, and baked, 350 for 45 mins..boy did my house stink! LOL..That was a one time thing..LOL.

Richie, the only advice I have to offer is, when you fertilize/iron, etc, follow container directions.
Yellow spots aren't a sign of iron definciecy. When a plant has mineral definciency, veins are usually dark green, and leaves are pale yellow.
But I wouldnt worry..Your gardenia looks great. Toni

o

Toni, no need for apologies, really! Like I haven't done that so many times before LOL...too bad I was hoping there was one here, would love to visit their greenhouse if they were close enough. Take Care

o

hi Toni
I have the gardenia outside of the house.
The yellow spots are on some new leaves.
I think I will have to get a spray to control the Fungus.
i will post a picture of some of the trouble leaves tomorrow.
I think I finally found the right spot for it outside. phew I was getting tire of moving it everyday from morning sun to pm shade and back lol
now it gets sun from 8:00am to 11:30am
Toni: I read some people feed the gardenias every two weeks and others feed them every three weeks
I always feed them every two weeks cause I think every three weeks is to long to wait
to feed gardenias. does this sound right?`
this plant food I use has 0.325% iron the name of the plant food is Miracle gro azalea camellia rhododendron plant food.
Thanks for the advice on what to look for when they have iron or mineral definciencys
I agree we do a lot for the gardenia plants
lol I do more for gardenia plants then I would for a sunflower plant.
one takes care of itself and the other needs a lot of care.
Take Care
Richie

o

Toni,

There is a Bonsai Forum if you are interested in Bonsai. I saw a local Bonsai documentary once, on tv. I saw how tedious it can get and how 'agonizingly' slow it can take to 'sculpt' a bonsai plant to your desired shape and size. Also, the root pruning was the most difficult as incorrect root pruning can kill the plant after you have spent *years* growing and 'sculpting' it to your desired shape and architecture. The documentary even featured some sort of a 'Bonsai' ICU with carefully controlled sun exposure, humidity and temperature for recently repotted and root-pruned bonsai plants. Really too O.C. for me... LOL. :) I wouldn't want to 'torture' myself into doing any of it at all. :) LOL

Anyway, here are useful 'root pruning' tips for Bonsai plants from the 'Bonsai' Forum:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bonsai/msg081212414400.html
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/bonsai/1998103555027769.html

In general, with bonsai, you can remove some of the larger roots but you should try to retain as much of the smaller, fine 'feeder' roots as possible as they are extremely necessary for the plant to survive in the limited pot space. (The large roots would consume all space and will have very little surface area for efficient nutrient absorption in a limited pot space.)

HTH

tropical

o

hi everyone
I try to take pictures of the leaves with yellow spots but today they were green again I guess the iron did the job.
if these leaves with yellow spots return i will post some pictures of them
thanks
Richie

o

Richie, that's weird..LOl..Perhaps it was due to lack of iron??? Whatever happens, I hope they don't return. Toni

o

hi Toni
Thanks I hope theses leaves do not return anytime soon lol
I found the leaves on the ground
it turns out that they fell off the plant.
I hope this gardenia starts to replace some of the fallen leaves cause some of the branches look a little bare I will post a close up of those branches soon.
so far I have not notice any bugs on it
take care
Richie

o

Richie, whenever a leaf yellows, it falls off. This is normal. Yellow leaves don't change back to green. Hopefully, the bare space will rebranch or reflower. Toni

o

hi Toni
I just had to move all my gardenias inside their is a storm name FAY heading to FL.
I hope This storm heads away from FL
Pug their is a storm heading to FL please be-care-ful
Take care
Richie

o

Thanks Richie, be safe also. I HATE these storms/hurricanes...just brought in all my gardenias also along with my MANY other potted plants. Be SAFE for everyone in the state of FL...

o

Thanks Puglvr1
I hope this storm does away.
at least all the plants are save and
I can only pray that everyone in FL makes it through this storm safe.
Take Care
Richie

o
hi everyone

I mean that this storm goes away sorry typo
take care
Richie

o

well the storm did not damage much here in my are of tampa.
Puglvr1 and other members in FL is everything ok
their?
Take Care
Richie

o

Hi..I heard about the huricane..I'll keep you guys in my prayers..
How many months do canes last?
So, this one is called Fay? Has it hit Fl? I heard it was coming from Cuba, is this correct?

I can't even imagine the strength of those winds..when we have windy days, plants fly around..A few times I had to chase plants and pots down the street, but the winds were nowhere near cane level.

Richie, where did you set your Gardenia?
How long do you guys keep plants indoors? Weeks, months? Do canes mostly strike a certain area of Fl or can it appear anywhere?
I wish you guys luck, Toni

o

Hi Toni
canes season is until october or november not sure on that one. but the storms that come through FL last about two or three days. it did go through cuba then it headed up here
to FL. their was trees that when down but as far as I know
the damage was not as bad as we though it was going to be
here in tampa but other parts did get some damage to moble
homes and some trees when down.
I hope this is the last storm for a long time
as far as the gardenias I keep them in for about 2 or 3
where they get bright light.
days once the storm is gone I put them back outside
The cane storms strike a lot by the florda keys
key west and miami FL gulf coast
Take Care
and thanks for the prayers
Richie

o

Hey guys, made it through "Fay", winds weren't as bad as it could have been...got 7+" of rain. Only kept the plants inside for two days. Brought everything back out today. I'm like Richie, I hope we are done with them for this year, but unfortunately the season is not yet over. Toni the "Canes" season is from June 1st to Nov.30. So it 6 months. But for us the peak season is from Aug through Oct.

It can hit just about anywhere(Tx,La,GA,MS NC,SC)so its not just FL. Although sometimes we get our more than fair share of them. Last year we were very lucky, can't remember one? But the worst area usually are along the coast, since that is where it makes landfall, but that doesn't mean the inland is safe, just sometimes we have a little less intensity(sometimes) because hopefully it weakens when it makes landfall, but this does not happen all the time. The storm that hit us yesterday, actually got a little stronger after it made landfall(very unsual).

That's one of the bad things living in FL...gotta take the good with the bad, LOL...

o

hi puglvr1
it is still windy here not sure when I should put these gardenia back out side for the most part the winds are not bad but other times you can see tree branches out side moving a lot.
Take Care
Richie

o

I put mine outside on Wed. under a palm tree. It's still windy here also, but its a little sheltered under the tree. I would wait till the winds die down if you're concerned. I was so glad the one I have planted in the ground made it through the storm with no damage...

o

Hi Toni

Here is a gardenia leave that looks weird can you please help me I need to stop my gardenia from getting all the leaves like this
Thank you
Richie

o

Pug: do you have any ideas what can be the cause of this gardenia turning into this weird color from the picture I posted? Please let me know.
also I found a few leaves had been eatten by a bug not sure what bugs to look for
Take Care
Richie

o

Richie, I'm not sure what those spots can be since you already fertilize with miracid, iron. One possible cause might be too much water from the rain? You might want to try some epsom salts. Use 1 Tablespoon per one gallon of water, shake very well to dissolve. Add to the soil. Might take a week or so to see results. I'm not sure if this will help, but it might. I have some leaves that turn yellow and fall off, it is very normal with gardenias.If the overall plant looks healthy I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have had some of my other plants that have chewed up leaves also. I finally found out what it was...it's Snails!! I have been removing them when I see it...I think the rain(moist soil) is drawing them out. I didn't have this problem last year, it was much drier. Not sure if that is what is chewing up yours, but that's one bug I would consider?

o

Cool81, I thought I have already answered your question 3 or more times. The close-up picture suggests that the root is not happy. Oops, root rot is coming. See, I told you before. Soon, the in-between could turn brown and dry up.

o

Hi Pug
I try looking at the leaves but I don't see snails.
some leaves look eatten up and some are brittle looking and eatten up on the leave tips.
I will buy snail bait and put it around the pot to keep them at bay,
Pug how long does it take for bayer trees and shrubs protect and feed to start taking action once applyed to the plants?
1 new gardenia has holes in the leaves and I see dead bugs but I would like to know if it could be moths eatting up my leaves.
cause I don't see any bugs expect dead
bugs due to this bayer
do your gardenia leaves somethings look a little curl up?
does this bayer also take care of moths?
Take Care
Richie

o

hi snasxs
how could this be from over watering if I have cut down the waterings to about once a week now???.
following your own advice using the meter I waited until it showed on the dry side to water again and from time to time waited until the leaves droop a little before watering it again.
Pug: can you post the link to bayer again
I want to see the info on what bugs they control. I had a little accident where my bayer fell off my table and leaked what was left. now I got to buy a new one
Take Care
Richie

o

hi snasxs
when I water the gardenia it is when the meter reads number 3 on the dry side.
may be it is not to late yet to save it.
as far as my leaves being eaten away I think this started when I brough in the plants to keep them safe from the cane storm. in that time span it had 5 leaves eaten up
some leaves are new and others are old ones.
I don't see snails but I do see some scale insects on it
I when to lowes got snail bait and spead it around the bottom of the pot just in case.
I did find a few bugs that I killed by hand.
I will keep checking it at night thats when I see the bugs
active and kill them.
snasxs: i have one of the gardenias in the back flordia room. that one is doing great.
I only water it once a week and has been well mulched
please help me as to I am at a lost of whats eating the leaves.
Take Care
Richie

o

Hi snasxs
I think I found aphids on one of them plants.
I seen some leaves curl down ward that
leads me to think its from aphids.
this is on one of the new plants.
I will try to blast them off the plant
with a strong jet of water.
until the bayer trees and srubs take action
it has been raining a lot here in FL
I just dont water them in hopes that they dont get over watered when its raining.
Take Care
Richie
P.S. Snasxs: how is your gardenia doing?
did you find out what was eating your gardenia leaves

o

Hi puglvr1
I when to the store today and got a new bayer advance trees and shrubs protect and feed. wow I forgot how much they cost lol.anyways I want to say
thank you to everyone for
their help and that I'm
sorry I asked so many
questions i'm very new to gardenias and wanted to
learn from people who know
how to grow them.
The person who use to take care of them for me move to miami fl.
so now I'm on my own.
snasxs: is right gardenias should not be water to much. I find that once every 5 days is good. unless the weather reports shows rain coming then I don't water at all. also i am going to feed them like snasxs: does with every watering half a table spoon per gallon.
Take Care everyone and once again I'm sorry that I asked all those questions
Richie

o

Richie, I did not find out the eater of my gardenia. The usual suspects are 5 squirrels, 2 of my neighbors dogs, 3 of my housemates cats, leaf-cutting insects, etc. I just sprayed an insect-spray which I bought from WM. The liquid is a little oily. After that, nothing bothers the leaves any more. The plant is doing wonderful! One more thing: Gardenias absolutely do not require humidity.

o

Hi snasxs
I'm glad to hear that your gardenia is doing good. I will check out the insect spray at wal-mart.
I notice gardenia's grow pretty fast
I mean in less then a year it has grown
a lot. I don't know why but cats do like to eat gardenia leaves.
Take Care
Richie

o

Hey Guys, I am SOOO happy to hear the worse is over.
Pug, that's the sad part, for good there is bad, for day there is night..for right there is wrong. Balance, I guess

Maybe prayers from 'everyone' were heard. I'd like to think so anyway.

Richie, is that a bud forming where the leaves are a bit yellow???
I hope it's not root rot. What are your meter/guage numbers? From 1-10?
If there's only a few yellow leaves, don't worry..now if the entire plant starts yellowing, then there's a problem.
Remove yellow leaves..Can you describe the insects you saw? They may be nothing that harms plants..We get a ton of flying bugs all summer long, but they're harmless.
Look for cottony patches, brown or white bumpy things, fine webbing.
Is your gardenia sitting in a tray/saucer? If so, and you're getting a lot of rain or overwatering, remove it. (the tray) Gardenias sitting in water for long periods cause root rot and insects. And Yellow Leaves.
Richie, don't use too much stuff..When people use this chemical and that chemical, IMO, it's too much for the roots.
I allow soil to dry somewhat between waterings. When it looks/feels a bit crumbly, it gets a drink. Stick your finger in the soil before you plan on watering..If it comes out wet, wait a few days and retest..if it comes out dry, it probably needs water. You can use a probe/stick in place of your finger..a probe inserts deeper.
I don't know if we're getting Fl weather or not, but tropicals are in heaven..it's been super humid (97-100%) and hot, yet there's a breeze. Today's a tad cooler, high 80's and windy.
In fact, I have a good number of succulents outdoors so I'm worried they're getting too much moisture. I may have to haul them inside. I have about 20 Euphorbia Crown of Thorns, one from a cutting started in 1982. I don't want to lose any. The year before last, I bought a gorgoues Thai Crown of thorns for 15.00. It stood almost 2' tall. It bloomed, bi-colored flowers all winter. In the spring of 2007, we had a ton of rain..way too much for the COT's. It died..I hunted again, looking for the same type..the green house I bought the first had similar sizes/types but they wanted 67.00!!! I'm now buying bare-root Euphorbias and Adeniums from Buried Treasures. I also have several Adenium, Desert Rose, the newest a beautiful variegated..

Soon all plants will come in..boohoo..You guys in warm climates are so lucky. When temps dip 3F degrees, no plant will survive that weather.
One of my citrus died, but the rootstock is doing well..I'm going to keep it outdoors all year..Next spring I plan on buying a palm that's hardy to z7, but can be grown with lots of winter protection. This is something that can't be done with Gardenias, no matter how hardy it is..LOL. Too bad..

Again, I'm happy to hear the worse is basically over. You guys take care. hugs, Toni

o

Hi Toni
yes that is a bud growing where
the leave with yellow spots is.
as far as I seen their is two more leaves like that one but the rest of the plant looks great
I water the gardenias when the meter
reads 3. today I check the gardenia
and it reads 7. I also use a wood dovel
to double check my findings as to
I dont want to over water the plant
and as snasxs said to much water
can lead to root rot and I don't
want to lose this plant.
I did find aphids on the plant
that i blasted with a strong Jet of
water to knock them off until
the bayer kicks in.
I also bring in my Succulents when it
rains more then one day to avoid losing them to over watering.
I'm sorry to hear about your citus
as long as the roots are ok it can make
a come back.
about over wintering gardenias inside
the house I head this can be done but it is hard.
Thanks for the prayers we all made it through this storm.
I dis like cane storms but other then that I like Flordia.
P.S. Toni: how many plants do you have?
I got a total of 45 plants here.
to feed all these plants takes me
1 hour. may be I need a garden feeder
to use miracle gro and cut the time in half lol.
Take Care
Hugs
Richie

o

Hi Richie,
I don't know if this is coincidence, happens frequently or not supposed to at all, but everytime my Gardenia blooms, for some odd reason, a few leaves yellow..Those on the same branch as the bud..Perhaps my soil is lacking something, and I admit, I haven't kept up fertilizing this year. It's been some time since testing pH, too.
I can't find any info in my plant books that indicate it's normal for some leaves to yellow when gardenia's bud, so I'm probably doing something wrong. Just don't know what. I should fertilize one more time before winter..we in IL stop fertilizing, except for people who use soil-less mixes. I think they fertilize year round, but not sure. The problem is, I foliar spray every plant with Fish Emulsion before hauling indoors. (to prevent scale) So, I'm afriad of over-feeding by using Gardenia fertiilzer and Fish Emulsion.
How many plants do I have? between 350-400..Tropicals, sub-tropicals and succulents. It's been 3 or so years since last count..That number will increase a little..in spring we bought annuals/tender perrenials (perrenials for Fl, not IL) that I'm going to dig up, pot, and try to keep going. One problem is insects..sometimes annuals attract pests, especially mites. We'll see.
Richie, you have 45? What are your favorites? I'm assuming you grow succulents too. Are they difficult keeping in Fl with all the humidity?
Richie, actually 2 citrus died last winter. One a dwarf grapefruit that wasn't in the bet of health when received, I'm unsure why the second died though..The latter is the one I'll try growing in the ground..It depends on the rootstock used..certain types are hardier than others.

Richie do you have a photo album or website? I love looking at ppl's pics. Toni

o

hi Toni
My gardenias also get yellow leaves when they bloom
I think this is normal.
after flowering they should get more green leaves.
as far as Feeding the gardenia I would feed it once more but half of table spoon per gallon of water
to avoid over fertilizing it.
I am working on a online photo album I will post it
here as soon as It is done.
I do grow succulents it can be hard to grow them when it rains a lot but for the most part as long as I dont water them to much they do ok.
I like gardenias, basil, mints, sunflowers,
and succulents like Euphorbia just to name a few.
I will post some pictures of them soon.
in Flordia I have to feed the gardenias all year long
due to the warm weather.
I once had a sunflower bloom in october and that shock me
cause I though sunflowers only do well in the summer time.
are citus just like gardenias that like acid plant food?
if so then feeding them with this kind of food should help them stay happy
Take Care
Richie

o

Hi Everyone
I heard that coffee grounds are good for gardenia?
has anyone ever use this on a gardenia?
Take Care
Richie

o

Ok Toni
Let me know what think of this sunflower that bloomed?
photo ablum is almost done.
I will post it very soon
Take Care
Richie

o

Howdy.
Richie, I can't wait to see your photo album..
I've been so busy...I started bringing a few plants inside, even though it's early..but it's a lot more working bringing them in than taking them out..they all need cleaning..too many spiders and earwigs..Yuck.

I also did something I never thought I'd do..I gave a friend 99% of my Philos..It was difficult, but mainly because of lack of space..oh well, she'll care for them.

Richie, yep, Citrus prefer acidic soil or semi-acidic. I'm not sure if they require as much acidity as Gardenias though.
I've heard pros and cons on the coffee ground question. Grounds are acidic, but some people say they attract rodents, etc, and can cause disease, but I've never tried it so I can't say.
I'm not going to tell you to use grounds but it's funny..the last 20 or so years, I've been reading books on Old Wives' Tales..To be honest, in many cases I'm all for the old ways. Pre-pre-chemicals..Natural ways..The Amish grow handsome veggie gardens, everything is natural and safe to eat.
When you get time, post your pictures..Toni

o

Hi Toni
I just got back from miami FL I when to see my cousins for a few days.
I will be posting the pictures in about a week from now
I fell behind the postings of the pictures due to being in miami.
Citrus trees may do good with a once a month feeding with the same plant food as gardenias use.
give it a try and see if the Citrus does better.
one question I heard about gafted gardenias.
are these gardenias stronger then the other ones?
I want to plant one in the ground but I was told that I need a gafted gardenia due to some bugs in the soil that eat the roots from the gardenias that are on their on
root stock is this true?
Take Care
Richie
P.S. until I know for sure about coffee grinds are good for gardenias with out side effects I will stick with the plant food I don't want to hurt them now that they started doing better.

o

Hi Richie, I have 3 grafted Miami supreme gardenias (tree) form...it is better to plant the grafted one because of "nematodes" in our fl soil. They sell them in most stores/nurseries...

There's a Hurricane "Ike", so keep a watchful eye on the weather channel, it is forcasted to "possibly" hit FL...Stay safe!

Here is a picture of my tree taken a few months ago...

o

Hi puglvr1
Thanks for the advice on gafted gardenias
I will get a few to plant in the ground.
as far as the other ones I will leave them in their plant containers. Thanks for the warning on Hurricane Ike
I will keep an eye on it.
I hope this storm stays away from Flordia
Stay safe and Take care
Richie

o

Hi Pug
I think the storm is going to head away from flordia
thank god.
Toni the online photo ablum is almost done.
It only has 20 pictures now but I will add more each week.
I will be posting it in two days.
Take Care
Richie

o
Hi everyone

Here is my online photos link it has 17 not 20 sorry I though I had 20 in their.
I will add more of my garden and of me and my girl friend
a little each week
Take Care
Richie

Here is a link that might be useful: Richie's Photos

o

Great Pics Richie...thanks for posting!! Gardenias are looking really good. Love the sunflower also.

Thank God Hurricane Ike is away from FL...dodged another one!! **whoohoo**

o

hi puglvr1
Thank you I'm still working on more photos to come on the online photo ablum.
I am glad that this storm is not coming
here to flordia and I hope it is the last one for a very long time.
a little bad news today I when to check on the gardenia and the soil was bone dye.
it lost some leaves.
puglvr1: how often should i flush the container the gardenia is plant in?
I read that some people feed gardenias every three weeks to avoid salt build up.
Take Care
Richie

o

I would probably flush it out every 3rd or 4th watering...I always water my gardenias till a little of the water comes out just to make sure the soil is evenly moist. Then let it dry out mostly...

Yes, I agree no more storms...

o

hi Pug
I found a werid bug today on 1 of the gardenias that i think may have cause the bad leaves on it.
it looks like a aphid but it has like a little thorn on the top of it when I saw that I got it off and kill it but my question is if this plant has bayer advance then why do these insects still come on the plant?
every 4 days i see yellow leaves and theses bugs on it.
i seen a spray with neem oil in it.
is neem oil good?
Take Care
Richie

o

Hi Toni
I have not heard from you in a long time
I am going to post more pictures this week
Toni: do you know of any good plant books?
I want to buy one with gardenia informaion
see all my gardenias are doing good expect one
Today I notice another branch that is bare
its braking my heart to see it in this shape
I treat it like the other ones and the other
ones do better then this one.
It gets water on monday then again on friday unless
I see that the plant needs more then I water it again
since it only gets part sun like 3 hours or less and it
is in a plasic pot I dont water it as much
does this sound like a under watering problem?
anyways can you Please share some informaion on
how you care for your gardenia?
I want to save this plant and need
all the help I can get
Thank you everyone for your help
so far 6 out of 7 gardenia are doing great
Take Care
Richie

o

Howdy,
I cannot believe this thread has sooo many posts..LOL

Things have been messy here in IL. Literally. For one,, we had rain, heavy rain, starting last Thursday night until Sun afternoon. Non-stop.
Everyone, including us, had to deal with flooded basements..Some ppl have 4' and more. At least 50 families had to evacuate.
Our basement dried out, but there's junk everywhere..so much is lost.
Many streets are still closed. I'm sure it's nowhere as bad as Cuba or Tx, I KNOW it's not, but it's still considered a disaster.
There are thousands sill w/o electric, in IL, not here. God help us all.

To top it off, I've been hauling plants indoors before temps get too cold..last wk, the nights dropped in the 40's and 50's..which is okay for Gardenias and citrus, but not for succulents that have been rained on, and soil is soaking wet..Normally sux and a few other plants are the last to come in, but not this year..GArdenias are still outdoors though.

One tree, Dracaena marginata, has mites!! I have no idea how this happened considering they like humidity and fresh air. The soil it's potted in is well-draining..the only thing I can think of is, it was sitting next to a Rose of Sharon, and many annuals/perrenials attract mites. So, it needs a spray of my home-made mix before mites devour the entire plant..it's bad enough, when I first brought it out, something big had eaten the top leaves. Like a rabbit might do, but unless there's an 8' rabbit running around, I have no idea what munched away..LOL

Then there's a Spider problem..Not mites, but these ugly, huge, spiders..Every year I'll find a few but this year it's terrible. I'd say 98% of the plants brought in, has at least one spider and/or Earwigs..YUCK. Btw, I've a fear of spiders..even little tiny arachnids. They are gross creatures; I don't care how many insects they eat. I'll deal with plant bugs..don't need their help..

Richie, are you looking for a book specifically for Gardenias? I really don't know of any. There are many good books on tropical plants, but those I've seen give little info on Gardenia care. You'll get more information online and through forums like GW. Ask away.

How is everyone's gardenias doing? Is anyone still feeding or is it too late in the year?
I can't wait to look at everyone's pictures. How many here bring plants indoors during winter months?
I wish I had two tree Gardenias..I'd set one in the gh.

Time to get a few more plants..brb..hugs, Toni

o

Hi Toni
I'm sorry to hear about the bad news on flooded basements
and about your lost in the basement.
I hope everything gets better soon for everyone and that everyone gets their electric back soon.
I will say a prayer so that god helps everyone
and things get better soon
I'm just looking for a book that has info on gardenias as well as other plants like roses, palm trees and basil.
Toni: how do you take care of your gardenias?
I see that your gardenias look good.
I want to know what care do you give them to see if
It helps me with this gardenia thats giving me a headace
May be you can spray the garden safe 3 and 1 fungicide it controls spiders and mites.
LOL about the rabbit. may be it's a cat that might be eatting the leaves of your plant.
all my gardenias expect one is doing great.
I have 7 gardenias one is in between and the other 6 are doing great.
I do have a rose that looks sick.
can you give me some advice on how to take care of rose plants please?
I think you still could feed your gardenia until november.
I water the gardenias with de-still water since I have hard tap water and I hear that is bad for them and makes
their leaves go yellow.
Take Care
Richie

o

I've had two gardenia plants for about three years. Haven't been able to get them to bloom. Occasionally they get big & leggy, and I prune them way down. They seem to like that. I've learned not to disturb them. They are in a sunny window and I water about every 2-3 days. But they never bloom. I'm trying to keep them healthy till I have a greenhouse (hopefully this summer). If I want them to bloom this year, should I give them Miracid or something? When? I LOVE the smell of gardenias, which is why I've kept them this long. My husband thinks it's amazing that I brought them back from the brink of death one summer when it was too hot outside and I had them out. Now I keep them inside always.

o

Paulette,

Is your problem not having any buds or is it having buds that drop and do not open? If your gardenia has never had any buds, it almost always means one thing: It isn't getting sufficient sunlight necessary for bud formation.

Forget about the literature stating it needs cold temps to initiate bud formation. I live in a tropical climate where lowest night temperatures are usually around 75F and rarely below 68F but all my gardenias (planted in full sun outdoors) are always full of buds.

tropical

o

Well just to back up what tropical is saying.

When I never realized that my grow lights were not coming on as they were suppose to, it fact not at all for over a week, because of a faulty timer, half my blooms turned dark at the base of the bud, yelowed and browned up, got soft and wilty, and then just fell off.
When I corrected the light problem,the rest stayed on and are still growing. Just very sssllllooowwwlllyyy!
But they are still there...:-) They seem to blossom beautifuly, in fact all of them, as soon as the sun stays out longer as spring approaches, and especially when they go outdoors.

o

My Gardenia plant has not developed any buds I noticed what looks like a white fungus so I sprayed it with a copper fluid. Still no buds.

o

I spotted a gardenia at the nursery this past weekend, I considered buying it to take into work. Then I remembered this thread, which I had read 2 years ago,,,,and thought Nyah! Who has time for plant worship anyway!?

o

You've all given me a great giggle with your posts but also a lot of good information. I have a potted gardenia, don't know what kind, in the small 6" pot I bought it in, but want to transplant it to a larger pot. With all this info, I can do that now.
It was a struggle at first, the leaves got brown...fixed that..then the leaves got yellow - too much water, fixed that, then low and behold I got 3 flowers! Tiny, but there. It's a small plant. What I have found is that if I let it dry out and then water it generously, it continues to look beautiful. No flowers right now, but it's doing well.

One tip I got somewhere said they require humidity and if I sprayed them every day that would work. So I keep a spray bottle next to the plant and every day sometime I spritz it. It loves it! So that's my tip as thanks to all of you!
Good luck with your babies! They're fussy all right, but boy it's worth it to get those flowers!

o
black tips on my Gardenia leaves...?

for the past two months my Gardenias were doing kind of good, but for some reason these three past weeks the leave tips are turning black all over the place and can`t figure out what`s wrong, I water them every 3 days and keep them in a very well filter lighted era, can any one give me some advice on whats wrong and why the tips are turning black. P.S thanks

o

Too much water can cause this. If you have it indoors you should water it every 5 days unless you are in a hot climate or it is in a sunny location.

Excess water will cause root rot and this can be prevented by cutting down on watering. Use a tooth pick or dowel to check for moisture in the soil. Insert the toothpick into the soil and if it comes out dark or wet, dont water the plant yet.

Other causes of the black tips can be too much fertilizer which leads to a buildup of salts in the soil, and a decline in the health of your plant.

If you do fertilize it regularly, skip for several weeks and flush the soil by watering heavily at each watering to remove the salt buildup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here