Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savy4_gw

Michelia alba not growing after transplanting

savy4
9 years ago

Hi,

I have a question regarding my michelia alba. I bought it back in april and transplanted in May. But from May up until now I have not seen much growth on the tree. The little growth it gives it drops off in a few days. I don't know what went wrong with it. I transplant it into a pro-mix potting soil like the seller told me to. I bought to two plant from the same seller back than. But the one plant I transplant into a clay pot and the other plant I transplant into just a regular plastic pot. But the regular plastic pot grows better than the clay pot. The one in the clay pot doesn't grow at all. Now all of the old leaves dropped the tree just got branches hanging. I don't know what to do because summer it is almost over now and my tree still didn't grow. Can anyone please give me some advice on how to make it grow.

Thanks,
Savy

Comments (10)

• newgen
    9 years ago

Is the tree in the shade or full sun? How often do you water it? I suspect the tree is being overwatered. Clay pots usually only have 1 drain hole, that's not enough. How big is the pot? How big is the plant?

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

they are notorious for going into shock when transplanted. I watched in panic as mine defoliated within days when I transplanted from nursery pot to ground. I called seller, he explained this behavior and said to be patient. He stressed the need to water consistently, which I did. One year later, my plant is beautiful. I live in Houston area, z9a, maybe it is different in your area.

• savy4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I transplant into a regular nursery pot. It starts to show new growth. That was a good thing that I did. I'm glad I did. The clay pot thing never work with me.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Savy,

Good to hear you got it going again. I wonder what the issue could have been though.

Clay pots, at least here inland Calif., they have to be watered every day in Summer or else there could develop hydrophobic issues with the potting mix. Sometimes water will seep into the top few inches and run down the side, but center mass might remain dry and this leads to issues with the plant.

• savy4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Musaboru,

It's nice to hear from you to. It has been along time since I've bee on here. This year our weather here is strange. It has alot of rain and cold nights there is little humidity outside. And the claypot does not do well because of the cold mornings and nights that we have.So I waited and waited it shows no growth. I decided to transplant it again in about a week it starts to show new growth for me. I'm glad that I transplant it early enough so that the real cold weather is not here yet. And this will give the plant to grow a little bit before I have to take it inside again. Since the last time I was here I bought about four more albas. They keep on dying on me so I bought more. I hope the four I have now will survive. I also bought a another michelia champaca and the orange jasmine. I hope the michelia champaca will give me some blooms because the seller I that bought from said it was from a cutting.

• newgen
    9 years ago

Glad yours recovered. I love the fragrance of M. alba. Where did you get the M. champaca? I've been looking for one for a long time.
    Thanks,

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi guys!!

Mine is doing well after I bought it through eBay. I repotted it and I do see some movement. I have been keeping it on the moist side since I repotted it. Just though it would be better. Glad to read you all agree .. I was worried.

Newgen. I found mine on eBay. If you want the sellers name. Send me an email and I'll share!! Good luck. Mine is a Michelia Champaca Alba

Thank for the he everyone!!!

Laura

• savy4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Newgen,

I got mine from my sister she bought at the water festival. And she ask the seller is it grafted or cuttings, the seller said cuttings and my sister said the plant looks very good. It only cost $30 which I think is a good deal. I can't wait to until it gets here. It is suppose to be here today. Laura is your michelia champaca a grafted one or from cuttings?

Savy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Savy!!

Mine is grafted.

Good luck.. I can't wait to see !! ;-)

Take care,

Laura

• savy4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Laura,

That's good its grafted. I wonder is yours the orange yellow flowers or the white cream flowers?

Savy