Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Advice on growing these in colder climates - plumeria, gardenia

flowersandthings
18 years ago

So how hard is it to grow the "warm weather" fragrants (that aren't bulbs) in colder climates? I get alot of satisfaction from very fragrant bulbs like tuberose but would love to try some of the fragrant "plants". How hard is plumeria - to overwinter etc. and gardenia? I know (gardenia growing for example) can be done because I know a local Italian tailor who has them sitting on his porch and balcony of his shop/home every summer. They bloom beautifully and I believe he brings them in in winter. P.S. I'm in NJ. :)

Comments (6)

• risingpower1
    18 years ago

The deciduous varieties of plumeria i.e rubra hybrids, are harder to overwinter as they can rot easily if you water them at all during winter, maybe even if not. However, the obtusa varieties e.g singapore, are evergreen and once they're established, tbey seem to grow pretty easily. (Got a cutting of singapore growing in a mix of perlite and alpine compost, doubt it'll flower this year though)

RP1

• jimshy
    18 years ago

I've found plumeria pretty easy so long as you don't actually try to "grow" it during the winter.

Once night temps go into the 50s, bring it inside and put it somewhere bright, but not too hot. Water it once in a while, maybe twice a month. If the leaves start dropping, don't worry and don't do anything different. If it gets hit by plant mites, mist it, spray it with Safer soap, but again, don't sweat it, you'll never get rid of them completely anyway.

Get used to seeing it as a mostly dead, green stick during the deep winter.

When spring comes around, it'll probably start growing some new leaves, so start upping the sunlight and watering. Don't put it outside until it gets above 60 during the day, and bring it in at night until night temps are as warm

The plumeria forum has tons more expertise on overwintering.

Good luck!

Jim

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks.... and thanks risingpower that information is helpful. So I should get the obtusa? Is that as fragrant as the other? Are they the same? :)

• risingpower1
    18 years ago

Well the singapore is supposed to be one of the stronger fragrances, but it grows pretty large too.

http://www.io.com/~jrm/plum004.htm may help you, but the singapore is a very popular variety. Aztec gold and celadine are two other varieties I know of supposed to be very nice.

RP1

• skippy05
    18 years ago

I bought a Chuck Hayes gardenia last summer - they are supposed to be hardy to zone 6 or 7 (I live in Philly)
    I planted it in our tiny back yard last October or?
    We had a really bad snow storm this past winter & I was worried that he wouldn't survive.
    Well, he did & is doing great. No flowers or buds but they told me not to expect any this first year.
    I bought it at Triple Oaks Nursery in Franklinville, NJ
    I think the web site is www.tripleoaks.com or something like that.
    If you are not too far away -take a drive. It is a nice place to visit & the people are really nice.
    They have gardens in the back & one of the owners, Lorraine is very friendly. When we went we saw a mother hen & her little chicks. Tooo cute, take some little crumbs for them!

I also saw an Augusta grif's select gardenia on Park seeds website - www.parkseed.com
    I have killed too many gardenias trying to grow them over the winter in the house.
    Seems like someone came up with a gardenia for us Northeners!
    Hope you get one!