Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in August!

Hedychium 'Peach' or at least I believe that's the name. :)
Weird scent that is hard to describe. Mint ice cream maybe?
Gorgeous to look at though.

-Robert

Comments (38)

• ordphien
    9 years ago

That looks beautiful, and sounds amazing.

My double tuberose is blooming. Still have yet to even see the single version in person. I've heard that the single ones are more fragrant.

If that's true I really need to own one. This clump blooms every year, but it's never been so strong.
    It's wafting enough for me to smell it in my second story of my house. And even all the way out front.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

You guys are killing me..

OMG. How lovely.. I need to wipe the drool from My mouth.

Robert.. Was that you just the other day saying you don't have any blooms?

Hmmm. ? I think you are holding out on us..
    Seriously, that pic is to die for.. LOVE. IT!!!

Ordphien.. Love the double..

You guys are going to get me " divorced." LMAO!! Grounds., to many plants.. ;-)

Ok? Just received my M Alba.. Thanks to one who
    Iives up north and is an enabler. ;-). Thanks H...

It's doing ok. But it took awhile arriving from Cali...shoot , if I would Have known, I probably was close when I was out there for a Plumeria excursion!! lol!!

It's a beauty and I think it might have some blooms.. We shall see. I'll post a pic.

Ok.. I have to post a pick of mine.. Not like yours thought.. I have a few, so I will post a little later..

Here is Kaneohe Sunburst..

Have a great night!!

Laura

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ordphien,
    I've had both and I do prefer the scent of the single over the double plus I'm hoping a hummer or hawkmoth might visit the single. :)

Laura,
    Haha. I know. Apparently I just needed to wait for August! ;)
    Keep the lovely plumie pics coming!
    And please let us know what you think of M. alba when it blooms for you. :)

Today I've got three Passiflora venusta blooms opening.
    Lemongrass bubblegum scent?

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

My tuberose showing no signs of flowers yet :( really want them to flower to give them a second chance as they are not living up to the hype for me but that is going on 1 flower in 1 year
    I now have the single the double and lavender color ones
    i can only hope one of them matches up to your description Ordphien :)
    Laura Laura Laura how do i get my plumie to flower?? beautiful pic :) maybe we just do not have long enough summers over here :(
    Robert wow that Passiflora looks amazing :) mmmm do i or dont i :P maybe room somewhere ;)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Brian, P. venusta (left) is way more manageable than P. 'Preciosa' (right) which is growing like mad but no signs of flower buds. I've read this one has a great scent but am starting to wonder if I'll ever sniff one!
    Venusta is wafting though with 3 blooms open. :)

-Robert

• greendale
    9 years ago

It is a good year for my Mich Alba, it bloomed since July and I see more buds are coming.

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

All this darn talk about Michelia alba is going to get me killed! Robert I love your Passion flower! I am needing to order the fruit producing varieties. I have only tasted good fruits once but they were amazing!

My double tuber rose has a flower stem growing. The variety is 'The Pearl'. I cannot wait to smell these blooms. My friend Bill over on the Plumeria forum got me into trying them. If his scent description is accurate, I am going to be in love!

I love the ginger flower pictures! I wanted to dig up clumps of the wild gingers in Puerto Rico. They were so beautiful!

Andrew

• lazybonz
    9 years ago

This is a dangerous forum to frequent.
    All of you have such beautiful plants!
    Knowing that you are all just as much into fragrance as I am, turns each beautiful bloom into a serious temptation!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha. We're all enablers on this forum! ;)
    I love the 'Blooming in' threads since you come across new plants you've never known about until now but as you said it just tempts you into acquiring them! :)

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Jasmine sambac flore plenum from Logee's.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

And a stinker...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Greendale, almost forgot to congratulate you on your M. alba blooms!

Musaboru, I've always been curious about Flore Plena's scent. Sure looks gorgeous! Of course I laughed at your 'stinker'. Cool looking bloom but I don't want to put my nose into it! ;)

Came home at lunch and had to water some things (shock!) but I did enjoy the Mysore Mulli jasmine, CA Sunset Plumeria and my partner cut a Sombreuil Rose for me to sniff and enjoy its tea rose scent. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 13:53

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Robert, when I first grew Flore Plena the flower was poorly formed. Now, they look great this season. The scent is a little bit different from Maid of Orleans. To my nose I am reminded of honey suckle and the jasmine oils found at department stores.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

I always wanted to smell that flower. I don't get to smell stinky flowers often.

I forget it's real name. But my Indian carnation is blooming.
    Very nice nighttime fragrance. Not very light, yet not too heavy.
    Wafts a little with multiple blooms.
    Like a... fruity stephanotis scent.
    Vanilla, spice, and white wine.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

A four O'clock bloomed. I normally rip out the zillions of seedlings. But this one I let live. It was red!
    I like this for two reasons. It's really more of a cerise, and red tends to be very fragrant with these. I am not disappointed. Great wafting power.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 15:23

• ordphien
    9 years ago

My Arabian Jasmine are all still blooming.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by Ordphien on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 5:32

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Ordphien, I believe musa's flower is a Stapelia.

Robert lovely as usual and lots of fragrance for someone so frustrated ;-)

Yesterday morning I went outside and the scent of Cestrum nocturnum lingered all over the place. The Cestrum is far away on top of my sloped garden. It has just one small cluster of flowers. This is the sole benefit of living below a slope.

I was surprised by the scent of a single flower of Clematis Betty Corning, which I got this year. I kept thinking it was the Jasmine close by. But it was slightly different.

And Jasmine sambac "Belle of India" is just amazing. Blooming machine. Thanks guys for recommending it.

Original Author
    9 years ago

NOID brug.

Original Author
    9 years ago

NOID brug.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Keeping this thread alive!

Yes, I know I complained in July but so far August is looking awesome for things to sniff! :)

Finally getting lots of brugmansia blooms. Unfortunately I also got some broad mites with some of my brug orders so I'm battling them and hoping they don't spread to my other fragrant plants. :(

Fingers crossed!

Keep the pics coming, people!

Hopefully by the end of the season I'll have some brugs to recommend for scent after I've sniffed some more. ;)

-Robert

Original Author
    9 years ago

Brassavola nodosa putting out its unique nocturnal scent!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Those brugs are gorgeous Robert!

This one is Paul Neyron.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your mite problems, Robert.

I had a laugh reading NOID. It took me a 2 seconds to realize you meant No ID. Lol.

I read a lot of praise about Brassavola nodosa in Tovah Martin's book, which you recommended BTW. It sure seems a lovely plant. I love the pure white flowers. I love the Bruges flowers, though I'm weary of toxic plants.

After the explosion of the roses, I sort of took a break. It was such an olfactory experience, that I got exhausted :-)
    Nowadays, I'm content with my Jasmines :-)

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

B. Nodosa has been on my list for a really long time. Robert, is it worth growing? I have heard it's fragrance is pretty cool. Is it easy to grow?
    Andrew

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Here is my variegated Brug flowers start of white then turn a pinkish

And one of my Gardenia Crown Jewels is flowering soooo love the fragrance :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Walked into the backyard and could smell the gentle scent of Aglaia odorata wafting in the air. Of course when I tried to get close to it I lost the scent. Laugh.

Musaboru,
    Thanks! Lovely rose. How's the scent? :)

True Blue,
    Glad you like your jasmine. I love sniffing all my sambacs but Belle is my fav.
    I've got buds on my Cestrum nocturnum so hopefully it won't be too long before I too am catching its famous scent at night.

Andrew,
    I do like B. nodosa. It has an interesting scent but it doesn't make me swoon though it is very easy to care for.
    I simply keep mine outside when temps are 60 and above and hose it down a couple of times during the day.
    I don't know if it's going to be a keeper or not come winter since of course I've no room. Laugh.

Brian,
    Nice to see some other brugs on here!
    I guess its scent at night is not that great since you didn't mention it? ;)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 14:11

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Lovely Aglaia.

Robert, how old is your B. Nodosa?

Can you describe the scent and does it waft?

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Hi Robert , the scent is awesome its just like all the brug i have grown and my father has grown in the past they all have had awesome evening fragrance i thought it was just the norm :P

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Those are some big healthy plants kandhi very beautiful :)
    I bought Rangoon creeper this year still only a baby i hope one day it will be as big and as healthy as your plant

• kandhi
    9 years ago

Fragrant2008, My rangoon creeper is only 2 years old that grew from 1ft tall plant to 5-6ft and has bloomed last summer and this year. I trim it and bring it indoors during winter. If you bought air layered plant it should bloom soon, if it is a seedling it may take few years.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hello everyone!

Just checking in to see if my usual good people here are still around..I had a feeling I was going to see some beauties..

Just awesoem, and yet I still see a few plants I have yet to get..lol Enablers again..

My little 2 foot high Brug is flowering, shock me..

I am getting a bud and flower here and there, but not a graphic as everyone elses these days..

My weather has stunk once again for any plants that require hours of full day hot sun..

Everything is suffering, except for me...It's been feeling like the middle of September for the past two months and yet again today..Very comfortable..Highs in teh mid seventies and lows in the 50's..too cold for all my flowering plants, but they still flower on here and there..

Kandhi..If I could get my jasmine to flower like that. 'golden..I get one flower at a time..It is just too darn cold here..

Have a wonderful day Robert, Fragrant, Trueblue, Khandi, Brian, Musa, Ordphien, Grendale and my Awesome friend Laura!

Beautiful as always..

Mike))

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Just a little up date of my Gardenia counted 24 flowers/buds on it giving off a great fragrance :)
    sorry for pic quality

Original Author
    9 years ago

True Blue, yes B. nodosa wafts but I have no idea how to describe the scent. :)

Hi, Mike! Please share some pics if you get the time.

Brian, congrats! I bet it smells amazing.

My favorite Passiflora bloomed this weekend. P. alatacaerulea.
    Love its scent and no I can't describe it. ;)

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Beautiful Robert ! !

I have a few blooming too..

One that isn't heard to much of, but is very fragrant. VERY!!! ;-)

Koas Pride

Hi Mike!! Love to see your blooms too!! Hope all is well, my friend!!! ;-)

Have a great night everyone!!!

Laura

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert! Lovely Passiflora!

Mike thanks for the message. Hope your Mom is better :-)

Laura, beautiful Plumeria.

Up north, Osmanthus fragrans is full of flowers and wafting.
    Cestrum nocturnum is full of buds, tonight or tomorrow, that is the question?

In moments of intense heat, the 20 X 12 feet, summer snow clematis has an "hawthorne" scent. Quite unusal.

Clematis Betty Corning had a 2nd, scented flower. Very sweet.

Yesterday visiting the market, I was surprised to smell a marshmallow scent on one of fuchsia flowers of the laurel. The others were not scented.

Roses are preparing for 2nd flush, if the Japanese beetles lets them.

Featured Rosemary Harkness HT rose, almost fruity scent.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Am excited to see one of my colored tuberoses bloom, but man, the scent is such a disgrace to the original two varieties of tuberoses. Maybe it may get stronger at next year. It has the same notes but at like 1/10th the strength.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for letting us know the colored tuberoses aren't as fragrant as the white ones!

Today while watering I smelled the violet like scent from Telosma cordata. Thought I had lost it over the winter in the basement but it bounced back and is starting to bloom. Only one flower is currently open but it's already wafting. :)

- Robert