Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

Suggest an acidic potting soil mix for gardenias

luis_pr
16 years ago

I am going to container grow something for the first time ever and decided -what else- to add yet more gardenias. The gardenias I already have are planted outside.

For those of you who already grow them in containers, what acidic potting soil would you recommend I use AND where can I purchase it at? Or do you make your own? If so, would you mind listing the ingredients?

Thanks in advance,

Luis

Comments (7)

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, luis, I used normal potting soil which has perilite in it, and added fertilizer for azelias; have watered it with water with vinegar in it and with pickle juice as was suggested in one of the threads. most of the leaves are green with a few yellow ones. it has alot of buds and some of them are/have opened. i noticed today that some of the soon to open buds have brown tips which is a new occurance. I hope someone will give me some insight as to why that is happening. it was doing so well except for the few yellow leaves. thanks.

sue

• luis_pr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello, Sue. Gardenias are so very sensitive plants that it is not rare to loose 30% of the buds in a plant just "because". That is why some people call them temperamental.

But such uncontrollable things as rapid temperature fluctuations, low humidity, too much shade, cold temperatures and change in location (from the nursery to your home; even from changes within your own yard) can actually make the plant drop/abort buds.

I would not be concerned about the yellow leaves from your description. A few yellow leaves is not a sign of trouble. Most of my plants have some here and there this time of the year. And some varieties will actually drop leaves just prior to blooming.

Thanks for the potting soil info, Sue.
    Luis

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, Luis, thanks for all the info you have given me. I really appreciate it. I should have mentionned that the pot I used is one of those which has no holes: there is an inside "bottom" which is like a screen - it allows a space for air between the soil and the bottom of the pot. on the bottom of the pot I had my husband drill about 8 holes all around and in the middle. then on the side of the pot about 1 inch from the bottom he drilled more holes all the way around so that there is aeration to the soil at the bottom of the plant. I hope I am not too muddled in my explanation. Sue

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

Hi Luis!

For my 'fortunata' I used 1/3 peat, 1/3 sand and 1/3 potting soil. I took a piece of old jeans, stuck half of it in the soil, and ran the end of it about an inch out, then had a terra cotta container for a humidity tray with gravel in it. I wait until the new growth wilts and then water it until the water drains out the bottom. I also put water in the humidity tray too. Hope this helps! :)

• Barbara K
    4 years ago

Can you suggest a good commercial soil for a potted gardenia? I would like a Miracle-Gro or something similar. I have to have it shipped to my mom, who is 88 and cannot mix her own.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    4 years ago

Sorry, I meant to say 'potting mix' , not soil)