Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maid of orleans/arabian tea jasmine- does it ever set seed?

Posted by mersiepoo 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 18:40

I'm rooting a few cuttings for my one gardening friend, and I was wondering if anyone ever got seeds from their maid of orleans/arabian tea jasmine? I had set it outside while blooming to see if it would get pollinated, and no dice. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck, though it is very easy to root from cuttings!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maid of orleans/arabian tea jasmine- does it ever set seed?

My belle of india is setting seeds. I haven't heard Jasminums setting seeds. surprisingly it is setting seeds.

Photobucket

o

Wow!! that is awesome. The seeds looks like pearls.

Kasie

o

That is soooo interesting. Maybe you'll able to get a new variety with the seedlings :o)

o

Bunti, your plant is such a show off, lol! :D

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 14:08

My understanding is that MOO is a sterile clone -- every single plant in existence is cutting grown -- something to do with different clones having different length pistels that are mutually incompatible. I guess BOI is different enough to be fertile.

Congrats on the seeds!

o

seed pod on my MOO (13 July '11), it is now ripen and harvested, planing to sow shortly:
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here