Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brown spots on lilac

Posted by veryzer 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 08 at 18:50

I have a Miss Kim lilac that has developed brown spots on the leaves. It was planted several months ago and I haven't seen any bugs chewing on it. Any ideas????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brown spots on lilac

Bugs normally would not cause brown spots.

Could be fungus, could be dryness, could be turning color for fall.

Got picture?

o

Thanks for the response. I'll try to figure out how to upload a picture, but I don't like my chances.

To give a bit more detail, the miss kim has some brown spotting like I said, but it also has some browning and rolling at the leaf margins. In addition, it's dropping many of its interior leaves after they have yellowed (It's my first year with them but I believe I read they're supposed to take on a deep reddish hue before dropping). It's been a pretty wet season in IL so I hadn't been doing any watering until I noticed the drooping/browning. When I do water I place the hose at the bottom so as not to get the leaves wet. I hope this helps in making a determination, but if not, I'll embark on the adventure to upload. Thanks.
Matt

o

It's probably drought..my white lilac is doing the same thing! It was actually !wilting! so I got some water and gave the poor thing a drink. It's a fairly established lilac too. This drought is a real bad one. Crazy weather!

o

Thanks for he reply. That's what I suspect. I hopoe it will forgive me.

o

It probably will, they aren't as mean-spirited as gardenias. I threw water on mine a few times and it's coming back to life!

o

My Miss Kim does get brown edges and drop inner leaves if it doesn't get enough water. There are tree roots in the bed that suck much of it up.

Miss Kim is nowhere near as demanding as a gardenia.

Mine is over ten years old and all I have to do is deadhead and make sure it gets adequate summer water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here