Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miss Kim Lilac

Posted by jekevanston illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 19:07

I am having a problem with one of my MIss Kim Lilacs. Branches are dying one at a time, the leaves on other branches are much smaller than usual. There are other Miss Kim liacs around this and they appear to be fine. Is there some disease that I should be treating, ? There does not appear to be any scabs or problems on the bark. All of the liacs are about 8 years old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miss Kim Lilac

Hello, jekevanston. It sounds like you could have lilac borers, Podosesia aureocincta. These pests and their larvae cause sap to flow from the branches (but not always) and may also trigger infestation by aphid and/or ants (because of the oozing sap). Examine the plant to see if insects with piercing-sucking mouth parts are present on or have already created holes in the trunks, branches, stems and leaves. If you don't have the confidence to make these judgments, contact a tree, shrub or landscape service to do it for you. While inspecting a tree, look at the leaves (top and bottom) and where branches meet. Inspect during the day and also at night since many pests are nocturnal. Also inspect the soil for sign of excessive moisture: insert a finger to a depth of 4 inches and see if it feels dry, moist or wet.

Luis

o

Hi - I'm having trouble with my Miss Kim Lilac as well. The leaves are browning and even the newest green leaf growth appears to be 'chewed.' The entire shrub seems dry and tough. It's been in the ground for 1 year and some of the branches seem like dead twigs. All of the branches do have a bumpy appearance as well. Any suggestions?? I don't think it a water issue but I am not sure.

o

Can you post a picture of the leaf damage, the bumpy appearance you refer to and the overall bush, liese? Why do you say it is not a water issue?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here