Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Michelia Alba

Posted by jayorbon (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 29, 09 at 19:34

I have a Michalia Alba in a sunken bed in a court yard in San Jose CA. This is Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9B. The court yard faces west but the tree is blocked from western sun by the house. It gets direct sun from about 8:00 am to about 12:30 PM. The sunken bed is 18" deep and is full of potting mix containg mostly organics with about 15% sand. The tree is about 4 years old and is about 12 feet high. It blooms well and the leaves do not get sun burn. During cold snaps the leaves do get some burn. It is on a drip system with hard wate, about 300ppm Ca, but the leaves do not get much tip damage.

How tall will my tree get?

Can I prune it into an "umbrella shape" at the 15" level to keep it below the the roof line?

Thank you for the inputs,

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Michelia Alba

don't know about m. alba but i have pruned my m. figo into the shape you describe and it has responded well. i took off lower branches up to about 4' and have not had to cut back the top. don't see why you could not do that but this usually stimulates the shrub to produce more lateral growth near the area that was cut.
my shrub is older than yours and is about 15' tall.

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 10:00

From what I've heard, M. alba doesn't get over 20-25' outside the tropics, so your local climate may keep your tree at the right size for you, particularly as conditions change at roof level. If you need to prune, don't remove too much at once, michelias, aside from the shrubby ones like M. figo, don't take well to hard pruning. Spring is the usual time to prune magnolias, but check with local growers to see what they think.

Enjoy the blooms!

Jim

o

Thanks for the inputs.

o

I live in San Francisco, Ca. I have a michelia albra tree growing in my backyard for almost 30 years and it is about 30 feet tall and each year it blooms a lot of very fragrant flowers. My tree is so tall that I can not cut the top branches at all. As I heard that the michelia alba tree can not stand pruning or cutting to much at one time. If you want to cut, do it on Oct or Nov.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here