Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandhi_gw

can you name this gardenia

kandhi
18 years ago

I bought this nameless gardenia in May and is blooming since then. The plant is tree form and is 4ft tall.

{{gwi:801655}}

Comments (17)

• ktd125
    18 years ago

OHHHH!!! I had one just like it at my old house. I didn't take it with me and I regret it every day! I actually found mine in a superstore...it was on a pile of dead stuff waiting for the trash. Do you know, can you grow it from a cutting? I'll check back to see if anyone knows the name/type. Good luck with your growing!

• nomadic
    18 years ago

My August Beauty looks just like that, with the blooms. Hmmm.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My gardenia is dying. It started with yellow leaves 2 weeks ago. I treated with ironite/epsom salt. That did stop leaves from yellowing and falling down but all the leaves look wilted now, look droopy and have signs of dryout. The soil is still wet does not seem like it needs water, cannot figure out the reason. It was in great shape in above picture taken last month but now it looks like it is going to die. Is there any chance I can get back life into that plant.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

here is the new pic of the plant that looks like dying
    {{gwi:806401}}.

• calory
    18 years ago

Looks like the roots are rotted probably from too much water. You could uproot it and put it in a pot with drier soil, cut it back, and pray! Good luck.

• CoolPlants
    18 years ago

Yes, make sure you do cut it back! No fertilizer for the rest of the year.
    kevin

• nomadic
    18 years ago

Yup. Looks like root rot all right. You can make cuttings to save your plant if transplanting does not save it.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

good thing is i did try some stem clippings 2 months ago since I loved the big blooms on this plant. They have been rooted successfully and are growing good in 4inch pots indoors. But to lose such a good big plant is making me feel sad. I never overwatered it and followed the steps to take care of gardenia. Are gardenias prone to root rot often? Is it some bacteria or fungus, how can that be avoided on my other gardenias? Thanks

• nomadic
    18 years ago

maybe the type of soil in your area retains water easily?
    your plant looked thriving and very healthy from the first pic.
    btw, did u do any special treatments for your cuttings? like rooting hormones?

• kandhi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did not do anything special, I just had 2 cuttings in 4inch pot (peatmoss, perlite) and place the pot in ziploc gallon size bag. I had the pot under indirect sunlight.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Kandhi, if the soil stayed constantly moist, that could be your problem..
    Also, to be on the safe side, I'd check for insects..Especially spider mites and scale..Look for webbing/or bumps on the stems, under leaves. Leaves can feel sticky, too.
    Even if it is an overwatering problem, this can lead to insects. Hose the leaves but avoid the soil.
    If the area isn't well-draining, you may need to add a sandy medium in the earth..Toni

• achang89
    18 years ago

This is the G. "Aimee" or "Four Seasons". The leaves are dark glossy green, with the veins very deep. August Beauty has smaller narrower leaves, more upright and less glossy.

Sorry to see that you killed this beautiful plant. It is gone. Looks like the roots are damaged and will not take in any water. The most likely case is root rot with the soil too heavy. Diseases are also likely....

Try to get another one. But it is not eary for you in Z5.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Kandhi is in z7..it shouldn't be too hard locating another gardenia..
    I'm in zone 5 and can find various types, including Home Depot which I'm not too fond of, but when they first come in they're in good health. Toni

• kandhi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The problem was constant moisture. I let the plant sit in pot outside in rain. I discarded the plant, when I pulled out the root ball it came apart that kind of tell me it is definitely root rot. Good thing is the small cuttings I started from that plant and doing very good indoors in my kitchen. Hopefully they should survive through this winter.

• achang89
    18 years ago

This plant will need protection in Z7, even in Z8, like in Dallas.

The rain should not have killed the plant. It is the heavy soil and rain. The soil should be a mixture of compost and sand. Plenty organic matter and good drainage.

• Camelotshadow
    18 years ago

I've lost so many gardenia and alot of thins to frying leaves perhjaps brought on by root rot

Not sure but I was told compost was likely the culprit
    as its not meant to be used in containers and makes gases and has sets up growth of harmful fungus or bacteria

I notice someone said to use compost and sand
    but is this for a container or for the soil

I just bought 2 August Beauty in full bud
    and I;ll enjoy the blooms and hopefully this time I can get the darn thing to live more than a few months

• achang89
    18 years ago

Gardenia roots are very sensitive. It prefer well-drained moist acid with plenty of organic matters. The best place is the undisturbed soil not far from the large trees with layer of naturally decayed leaves. This offers the moisture, half-shade, acid soil, pure organic matters and all the worms working in the soil.

Do not blame the compost. The compost should be fulled cured, otherwise, it can burn the root. It will also harbor fungus and bacteria.

Also, it is very easy to grow gardenias in greenhouse. The commercial potting mix/media is almost perfect.