Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cananga fruticosa fragrance

Posted by mehitabel z6 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 20:13

The Cananga fruticosa thread is damaged somehow so it doesn't show new posts, so I started a new thread about the fragrance.

On the previous thread I reported that a C fruticosa from Gardino's had lots and lots of flowers on it, but I hadn't been able to catch a fragrance, as the flowers were dropping off without turning yellow.

I believe now the reason for this may have been my keeping it too dry, as the leaves have improved as well with a little more attention to watering. So, today one of the flowers finally reached the yellow stage. Just one, so I don't know if the fragrance would waft if there were more, and I only caught it around five o'clock, so I don't know if it wafted earlier in the day...

There was a fragrance. A strange fruity scent, nothing wonderful to my nose like the fragrance of aratbotrys hexapetalus. I'm not sure I even like it. I'll see if I can catch the fragrance at other times and give more information about the quality of the scent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cananga fruticosa fragrance

I have the same plant. Two of them, the first one died in the winter. It was small but got a couple of flowers, to me the smell is very pleasant, comparable to Chinese rice flower. Got another one last year, gave it more sun, it grow vigorously this year with dark green leaves. There are many flower buds, but the buds grow slowly. Now, there is one and only one that turned slight yellow. I keep sniffing, but nothing except a very light neem oil smell I sprayed a while ago. Will keep sniffing tomorrow.

o

This is my plant. Growing very well. But has smelled nothing. I have been watching a flower maturing. Today I found it's done with the wind. I picked up the peddles and smelled nothing. Kind of disappointed so far.

o

Hi, yellowthumb. Thanks for posting about your results with this plant. I'm disappointed in mine, too. It's so much trouble to keep plants of this type going over the winter, you want something really good from them.

BTW, yours looks really healthy, anyway. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here