Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Jasmine molle; Jasmine sambac 'Flore Plena'

mehitabel
13 years ago

Hi, all. Just starting to collect fragrants again after a hiatus of about five years. Jasmine molle is one I just got from TT. One tiny flower opened today, and is intensely fragrant. Jasmine sambac 'Flore Plena' came from Logee's. Again, one tiny flower opened, intensely fragrant.

I just thought someone who has been considering either of these might want to know: Yes, Virginia, they're both intensely fragrant.

Comments (10)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    13 years ago

Great to hear you are collecting fragrant plants again. I remember your many wonderful posts from several years ago. This forum doesn't seem as active as it used to be, but there is still some great information to be found here. Welcome back! :-)

Between Jasminum molle and J. sambac 'Flore Plena', which one has a better fragrance to your nose? The only true jasmine I currently grow is J. sambac 'Maid of Orleans' but I have had my eye on J. molle for quite a while. What did you think of the quality of the plant you received from TT? (The fact that it seems to only be sold at TT right now is probably the main reason I have resisted ordering it.)

Do I remember correctly that you used to be fan of Murraya paniculata (from Logee's) and fragrant Brunfelsias? I lost my last brunfelsia a couple of years ago, but I sure do miss the night fragrance. And I currently have a Murraya gearing up for its third massive wave of flowers this summer in an eastern window. When it blooms it seems like my whole house is saturated with its sweet but nose-tingling fragrance. I mention this because I think it was due to your glowing posts many years ago that I finally broke down and bought a Murraya from Logee's.

• kandhi
    13 years ago

Mehitabel, good to hear from you after so many years. I do have both, I have 3 jasmine molle and one is 4ft tall in 10inch pot blooming profusely. The fragrant is different from other jasmines with a hint of gardenia fragrance. It wafts a lot, right now there are 100s of buds and blooms on the plant. It seems to be loving the heat and high temp and doing very well for me this year. It is one of the low maintenance jasmine that I had for almost 4years now. I do not see any pest problems maintaining it indoors. I sure recommend this plant for all fragrant plant lovers.

As far as J. flore plena from logees goes, the fragrant is not that strong but the bud and flowers are beautiful. I prefer J.belle of india over flore plena.

J. Molle pics from this summer.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi again, ispahan and kandhi! I'm really so pleased to be started again with fragrants, and delighted to find some old friends here.

Ipsahan, thank you for the very kind words. :) I bought another murraya from Logee's-- couldn't do without that. It has tiny buds swelling on it, and barely in a 4" pot. I'm so glad you like it too! Several brunfelsia-- lactea, jamaicensis, americana, all from different vendors. I tried for the biggest plants I could get, but none is really big. I think there won't be any blooms til next summer. I remember the brunfelsia scent starting to waft at dusk and just had to have that again. But I can't remember if they bloom on old wood or new. Do you remember?

About the two jasmines -- they both seemed the same intensity to my nose (which is oldish and not the best). But I think the molle would win out because it's clear it will bloom more at once until the flore plena gets pretty big.

About TT, I bought from them a lot in the past, and had good feelings about them, so I didn't hesitate to buy again. The molle was a 1 gallon, quite a nice size, bushy plant. It has an old woody stem, so obviously has been cut back a lot to keep it thick. I also bought a Grand Duke from them, and it too was a 1 gallon, big and bushy, tho it hasn't opened any buds yet.

TT is okay in my book. Their plants are big, with good roots. But they do come very ugly, with leaves totally covered in brown stuff which I think must be spray of liquid iron. It doesn't come off. But I figure new leaves will cover that up shortly. Especially jasmines, since they grow so fast.

I got a (very big) Osmanthus var Four Seasons, and it is soooo ugly, but I'm hoping by next year it will be beautiful.

Kandhi, your jasmine is glorious! !!! Just fat and beautiful, with all those bright green leaves and thousands of flowers. I saw your picture of your steph on another thread, too. You have such a green thumb! I hope you'll share more pictures.

• kasiec
    13 years ago

Hello Mehitabel - a BIG hug to you and welcome back!! I often thought about you. I've been in all kinds of trouble (plant addiction) since we last spoke in this forum.

Kasie

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Kasie! Thank you and a big hug right back! I'd love to hear all about your plant addiction trouble. I'm up to my neck again, too :)

• bunti
    13 years ago

Hello kandhi,

I absolutely love your plant. What do you feed the plant? I do have same size or little bigger plant than yours. But mine doesn't bloom those many number of flowers. Its has been like that for last 2 years. Can you suggest me something so that it can have better blooms.

• kandhi
    13 years ago

bunti, My plant is in light well drained soilmix. I use dyna-gro foliar pro with micro nutrients fertilizer. This works very well for all my jasmines and plumerias. If you cannot find it locally, you can try online sources.

• charu_2006
    10 years ago

Is jasminum molle same as Nithya malli?

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

No, J. molle is Virajajji to my knowledge.. Nithya malli is a very small flower that comes in light orange and white flowers that have no fragrance, in green round seed pods.It belongs to family Malvaceae.

Here is a link..go to page 9, and 11 row. you will see flowers of both colors.
    HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lesser Mallow/ Nitya Malli

• charu_2006
    10 years ago

Thank you Radha for the link.