Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrmiddleton_gw

A question about Gardenias for Sir longriver

mrmiddleton
16 years ago

Sir,

I have been admiring your wisdom on the various forums for some time - although this is the first time I have had the pleasure of personally asking your opinion.

I am on the other side of the Bay from you - in the S.F. neighborhood of Sunnyside (next to City College, Monterrey exit). Despite the name of our neighborhood - it is one of those foggy S.F. microclimates - cool, misty and bright - with only an hour or two of clear sunlight a day (all Summer). I think we have only got to the 80's once this year. On the other hand, it never freezes - and rarely gets below 40 (usually 50's in Winter). Not as cold as the Sunset, nor as warm as the Mission (other S.F. neighborhoods).

Any suggestion as to what double form of Gardenia you can recommend for my microclimate?

I have had good luck with plants from Sloat's nursery across from the S.F. Zoo - plants from there have already acclimated to the fog (MUCH foggier there!) - and never have transplant shock when I bring them to my (slightly) warmer microclimate. They carry the Monrovia line - so all of Monrovia's Gardenias are easily acquired.

Everyone else - please feel free to offer your own words of wisdom.

Best wishes to all...

Comments (11)

• mrmiddleton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know I said I want a double - and First Love is beautiful (even if it has a short bloom cycle) - but what do you think of Gardenia taitensis?

I have always been fascinated by the lei flowers...
    (probably because us gardeners always want to grow what we can't...)

See:
    http://moorea.berkeley.edu/flora/dicots.html
    and
    http://www.rareflora.com/gardeniata.htm

A user on davesgarden seems to indicate it may be hardier than it first appears.

I can't offer the heat, but I can ensure it won't get too cold. I am successfully growing:
    Allamanda cathartica var. 'Williamsii' "Golden Trumpet"
    Arauija sericofera
    Brunfelsia jamaicensis
    Choisya ternata
    Gelsemium sempervirens
    Polianthes tuberosa
    and a variety of subtropicals.

What do you think of my chance of growing this famously fragrant plant?

Regards to all.

• longriver
    16 years ago

Sir Middleton: I used to travel to Washington State. The nursery person there mentioned to me that Gardenia was not doing great there. His gardenia stocks were set at a semi-green house area( imported from California). It is hard to fight against nature. (If you move to my area, gardenia can grow and flower esily everwhere.) If it is possible, set up a small passive green house. You will be amazed to feel less chill wind, higher humidity and warmer(even short duration of sunlight) that many plants would love to live there. Monrovir's Gardenia must be propagated at inland hot area. It should be looking good on display at your nearby nursery. But you have to grow it that will be different story.

My training is not in horticulture. I just have fun in my yard. You have a collection of success to grow many plants. Your ideas shall be very informative to others.

• snasxs
    16 years ago

mrmiddleton,

Here is the link of a previous GW discussion http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fragrant/msg0320240519850.html

• longriver
    16 years ago

Sir Mrmiddleton, Do you have space for fragrant Rhododendron such as R. fragrantissimum, etc. You can cross your legs on table and the plant will produce fragrant flowers for you.
    Investgate possibilities to grow gardenia indoor by the window. It will be cool that you can develop a mini-economical system to grow gardenia.

• mrmiddleton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do have a cold frame that I can use - but while it is wide (8') - it is not tall (3'). I would have to adjust the mister I use in it for propagation - but perhaps I could use it to get over the bad weather times of year (like Summer).

Unfortunately, I have the standard SF lot - 150' x 50' - and already have a small orchard on it (dozen fruit trees) - so Rhodies are out of the question!

We are getting married next May, so I love the idea of growing a Gardenia for our wedding...

• mrmiddleton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

snasxs, Thank you so much for the excellent link.
    Great discussion.

I have both forms of tuberosa and as well as moonflower vines, so that gives me some context for the scent. Based on your link, I think I'll pass on taitensis.

The desire for a Gardenia was from fiancee - so I'm trying to honor her request. I am beginning to think the bloom on First Love may actually be too big, and I should look at smaller, more traditional forms of the flower which have a longer blooming season.

I prefer to grow outdoors, but am giving in to the idea that this is one plant that may have to spend a lot of time in the more controlled environment of my garage with my orchids under the flourescents or metal halide lamp. Shame, I have an awful lot of plants in pots already...

• longriver
    16 years ago

There are still more ideas just for thinking. Your cold frame might(?) be able to accommodate the size of 'Chinese Classical Orchid'. Because you are particular about fragrance. In your life time, you shoud have a chance to smell the fragrance. The quality( not intensity) of the scent to me is superior than Gardenia and Michelia alba. It is rated top tier flower over 2,000 years ago as it is today. I might go to China to attend their Classical Orchid Symposium next March.
    Back to Gardenia, there is possible an option from Nuccio's Nurseries at 626-794-3383. Ask them about the variety of Daruma( dwarf and slow growing) and 4-Seasons.

• fragrantgarden99
    16 years ago

What is a "Chinese celestral orchid?"

• longriver
    16 years ago

A web site has 'Chinese Cymbidium' section. The flower lasts for a few weeks. It is all for the fragrance. The plant is graceful and the flower stands as first tier class for thousands of years in China.

Winterview Orchids
    P.O. Box 153
    St. Helena, CA 94574
    E-mail: Sales@Winterview.com
    Tele/Fax: 707-963-8681

• longriver
    16 years ago
  • fragrantgarden99
    16 years ago

Thank you so much.