Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to care for Cinnamomum zeylanicum

Posted by rajiram (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 21:46

Hi all,
I just bought a small seedling of Ceylon cinnamon tree. Any advice on its care?
What kind of soil it loves. Can I use normal potting soil. What is it sunlight and water requirement?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to care for Cinnamomum zeylanicum

Raj...
I bought a Cinnamon tree at Home Depot last November for 5.00.

Don't know its species, but it is Cinnamon.

It was doing fine until spring when I decided to prune. Since, it hasn't put on any foliage..It's outside, in full sun. Temps have been super hot here, so lack of growth could be because of heat or very root bound..

Of what I read, it needs semi-acidic, well-draining soil in full to partial light.
Actually, can't find much info either. For instance, which is the best fertilizer, temps, etc.

Before winter, it will go in a larger pot. I had a Cinnamon before, but it died..Guess that's the reason I haven't repotted..but because it did well over-winter, I plan on repotting soon.

Here's a pic of mine..Is it the same as yours?

Cinnamon Tree
Cinnamon foliage

Toni

o

Tnaks for your recommendation on caring
My plant looks similar. It is little bit paler that your leaves.Could be due to shipping shock. Is yours is Ceylon Cinnamon? There is an another variety called Cassie cinnamon available in plenty here.

o

Above is my plant

o

Rajiram, your Cinnamon looks like mine.

It didn't have a tag so I don't know its species. Only that it's Cinnamon.

What size is the pot? Did your plant come bare root? Toni

o

I bought it online. Shipped from florida. It is 4" tall.It came with soil.

o

Do you know the pot size?

o

It was strange Plant was small . But the pot was big,6" dia and 7"tall.Of all the plant that I got online, this is the only plant that came with more soil and big pot.

o

Raj, will you keep your plant in the 6" pot? Aren't you worried it will rot.
Toni

o

I repotted it to a small pot. Root is small. The soil is loose black and sandy. So it didn't hold the roots intact. Half of the soil around the root came off.
I am worried whether it can handle the shock. Any idea how sensitve is its root system? How good it handles the repotting?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here