Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rickl144

Ordering Osmanthus fragrans from China?

rickl144
13 years ago

Many Osmanthus fragrans cultivars discussed on GardenWeb seem to be unavailable from any sources in the USA. Has anyone ever attempted to order one from a mainland Chinese or Taiwan nursery, or through the help of an individual living in China? If you were able to do so successfully, what did you have to do?

Comments (2)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

I don't speak from experience, as I myself am in the process of getting applying for import permit so I can get plants from Thailand.

But here is what I gather concering the general protocol for importing plants by individuals, and just a caveat, I might not be totally correct:

If you can find a nursery willing or person to ship you just one or two plants that you may want, then first apply (before you order) for a plant import permit from APHIS/USDA (it's free).

The permit is a one page form (printable from APHIS's site) that is really simple to fill out, and you already know the Latin name for the plants you want, so you're good. A few weeks after you mailed the form, they should send you permit and stickers for your supplier to stick on the package if it's sent airmail (like EMS - Express Mail Service). And you need to make a copy of the permit for your supplier to stick in the box.

In addition, your supplier or individual needs to get a phyto-sanitary certificate from his/her country to certify the plant is pest and disease free. Of course, just because they do send your plant with a phyto, could mean it is not pest and disease free. If it is not, US Customs have the authority to destroy your plants while during inspection. The plant can't be sent in dirt/soil, but I believe something like in sphagnum moss is fine (I'm not too sure what it other medium it can also be).

It doesn't seem that troubling of a process and you can probably get a couple of plants that you want for under $100 including shipping if you find the right supplier. Some countries, like Thailand, have sellers that offer phytos free of charge. If your Chinese/Taiwanese seller doesn't offer a phyto for free than be prepared to tack on extra dollars up to $50 or more :). Although I'm not so sure about you being able to find a supplier that isn't wholesale. Good luck.

Please check with APHIS for more details.

From what I notice, it seems if you live in the Northeast or Mid-West state, it would be smooth for you as the plant inspection seem to be more lax. If your package's port of entry is like Los Angeles, then better cross your fingers it doesn't get stuck in inspection for too long either. :) So there can be a really big loss to losing your plants to inspection.

• rickl144
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Musaboru, thank you very much for sharing that information! It is essential knowledge for what I hope to do.

The other thing, of course, is to find a nursery or individual in China or Taiwan that both has the "Zhuang yuan hong" red Osmanthus variety I seek, and the willingness to ship one overseas. Since I cannot read Chinese, this is hard to determine, even in these days of Google. That is another thing I hope other members of this forum may tell me! Anyone? Yellowthumb, Longriver, others?