Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

What was your most wonderful fragrant this summer?

mehitabel
13 years ago

I'd love to hear about your most wonderful fragrant, or biggest success with one this summer.

I grew fragrants for several years, five or more years ago. I gave them up when I found them too hard to deal with in winter. This summer, I just had to try again with them.

So my biggest success was rediscovering them again-- loving each new little flower as it appeared on my new plants.

Please share yours.

Comments (9)

• catboy
    13 years ago

The big winner for me this year, was my night blooming jasmine - jasminum nitidum. We've had our coolest summer since I moved here eight years ago, so I could leave my windows open at night to let the intoxicating fragrance in. And I DO mean intoxicating! I learned many years ago to plant it far enough away that it doesn't gag me. This stuff is strong. I also have an arabian jasmine - jasminum sambac - that really outdid itself this year, so my yard smells good all night and all day, too.

• catboy
    13 years ago

Oops! I mislabeled my night blooming jasmine - it's cestrum nocturnum. Maybe I should finish my coffee before going on the computer...

• bunti
    13 years ago

This year special is Artabotrys(Ylang Ylang). I got this plant last year. This year i have planted it in the ground. Growth is really good and started blooming too. It has bloomed more than 10 flowers. First time when i have seen the flower, i was very exicted.

I do have somany jasmine plants for more than 5 years. Below is the list of jasmine i have

Jasminum azoricum
    Jasminum Balleof India
    Jasminum Flore Plena
    Jasminum Grand Duke
    JAsminum Maid of Orleans
    Jasminum Mali chat
    Jasminum Molle
    JAsminum Mysore mulli
    Jasminum Nitidum
    Jasminum Grand Duke Supreme
    Jasminum Tortuosum

The only one missing is JAsminum arabina nights. I have seen another variety in this forum, it looks like Lotus. After seeing the plant i wanted to have so badly. I couldn't stop lookin at it.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Catboy. Thanks for the correction. Yes, the cestrum will knock your head off close up if you have a big plant. I had one years ago that just overpowered you the minute you set foot outside the door at night.

Bunti, you are so lucky to have a blooming arta. And to able to grow it in your yard! I wish you every luck with it.

I had one several years ago and it was my favorite scent of all, just like you. It started to be fragrant around three in the afternoon when it was good and hot, and it wafted for several feet. But I lost it that winter. I bought one this summer from Gardino's, 3 gal, but it did not have buds. I hope I can keep it going this winter, and that it may bloom next summer. I would love to enjoy that scent again.

About your jasmines: the azoricum, nitidum and tortuosum. Are these fragrant?

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Wow bunti, please tell us about the Mali chat. Is it a slow grower, is the scent strong? If you could provide some pictures that would be great!!!

I saw it on T0pTropical website and it looks pretty!!!

My fav scent for this summer is Tuberose. I love, love, and love it.

• bunti
    13 years ago

Our weather is also not supportive. I live In north carolina. I have to keep all my plants inside the house in the winter. I have put all my jasmines adn other tropicals in the ground this summer. Now i am putting them back into the pots.

Jasminum Azoricum is very good. I have got very small plants from logees last year. But this year they are now in 5g pots.

I am not big fan of Nitidum. This is also a fragrant plant.

I wanted to have jasminum azoricum. I didn't know the english name of it. I was googling on the internet I have found Jasminum Tortuosum. I thought its JAsminum Azoricum and i got it. Its very similar to it. I suggest to have azoricum. You won't be disappointed. If you are very picky and wanted to have different variety you can add this to your collection.

Jasminum Mali chat, i have got last week only from alohatropicals. it is having few buds. Once they open up i will photos and post them on the forums.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

bunti, i sent you an email asking about AT's mali chat. Let me know if you've received it. Thanks : )

• bunti
    13 years ago

I haven't received any mail from you.

• nikhilkumar99
    13 years ago

If you live in a zone where it can grow, Cestrum Nocturnum (raat ki rani or queen of the night) is one of the most fragrant flowers that I have seen. In India it's fragrance is legendary. Myth also has it that it attracts snakes however.

http://www.rareflora.com/cestrumnoc.htm seems to have it. Seems to have an origin from Tropical America where it is native.
    Wikipedia has more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cestrum_nocturnum