Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Michelia figo 'skinneriana'

mehitabel
13 years ago

I had one of these I bought from NurCar five years ago. I remembered that it bloomed longer than a plain figo, putting out a few flowers all summer.

I bought one again this spring from Nurcar, and it did bloom a few flowers in spring. But not as many as I remembered and didn't bloom thru the summer. I do think this one is smaller than the one I had before, but I'm wondering how they bloom for others here.

When and how much and how long does your M figo or M figo 'skinneriana' bloom?

I especially want to know if I will get a few blooms this fall.

Comments (25)

• kandhi
    13 years ago

Mehitabel, I do have one that did not bloom much in spring/summer either. Now I notice the stems covered with lot of buds which will open during winter indoors. That is what I have noticed with this plant last winter. I have the plant in sunroom and it blooms 2-3 flowers at a time that are very fragrant. My plant is 2/12 ft tall.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Kandhi. Great to have your experience on this. Mine has lots of buds, but I can't tell if they are leaf or flower buds. I can see I have to learn to be more patient :)

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

Mehitabel,
    Those are flower buds. You will see flower buds next spring.

YT

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Mine flowered in late December to Feb. Then again In Aug, but only 1 bloom this year. :)

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

Sorry, I meant you will see leaves buds next spring.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Hi Mehitabel,

Back in October 2008, I bought one that was in bud and it bloomed a few weeks later. So it can definitely flower in the Fall. The blossoming period can last for several weeks. The longest was 6 weeks of flowers for me...but in the summer it is going to be way less. The most recent wave I got was in late August and I had about 20 measly flowers (3~ ft. plant).

It goes into intermission for varying amounts of time, that I can't predict when it will flower again. I expect another wave of flowers before the end of the year.
    I believe it is M. figo, but it was labeled as Michelia fuscata when I bought it.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Musa. That's about what I remember, rest periods and flushes of blooms. Well, I can look forward to some maybe this fall, and some definitely next year :)

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of the buds is getting very fat--obviously a flower bud! If they're all flower buds, I'll have a very prolific blooming! !!!WOOHOO!!! I love the scent of this!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Did anyone happen to buy the everblooming figo from Nurcar? I want to know more about it. Heh.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Which one is that, musa?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

It's called 'Hagiwara Everblooming.'

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I'm going to check it out :)

• kemistry
    13 years ago

An ever-blooming Figo!!! WOW. : ) After going crazy with my recent purchases, I'll hold this off for now.

Please let us know if anyone has bought it. : )

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

On Cistus Nursery's catalog, there is a 'Jack Fogg' for $16. Kemistry, how can you hold off on this: "Fragrant with hints of banana cream pie." :P :P :P

Apparently, the x foggii (figo x doltsopa) varieties have varying scents, but this one is the only I see described as still being banana like.

Better yet, for Magnolia figo 'Port Wine': "...delicious creations of cream inner petals and and outer petals colored a dusky port-wine -- all with an intense strawberry banana bubble gum fragrance."

• kemistry
    13 years ago

musaboru, thanks alot! now i'll have to go find my m. skinneriana, stare at it for about an hr while pretending not to hear that!! ":D Lol.

Actually, a garden buddy of mine had bought all 3 of those plants from Cistus and she's currently rooting the port-wine for me.

If there's a wish list, my next plant to try is either the Telosma cordata or Egg magnolia.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

LOL. Now, funny you should mention those last two. As I ordered those for myself and another plant for my mom from Logee's last month. This just says we have very similar tastes! :D

I checked my figo last night and noticed it is starting to form flower buds. So like I said, I believe it's definitely going to bloom again maybe in late November or December.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

musaboru, grab the aglaia odorata too if you haven't. But I bet you already have it in your plant collection. This baby has very pleasant scent.

OO, and if any of those two plants bloom for you, please keep us posted. I'm especially interested in the Telosma cordata.Ppl in my native country make soup with this plant's flowers and young shoots. I heard that it is very fragrant. :o)

And yes, just like yours and mehitabel's, my figo seems to have some buds on it as well.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kemistry, where did you get your aglaia?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

I dont have an Aglaia yet. I read it smells like lemon right?

I was at a Hispanic supermarket the other day and noticed in the produce section what I thought were Telosma flowers. It was labled as 'loroco' and quite pricey being imported from El Salvador. I know in the Asian groceries here, the price is also just as much for Telosma flowers. My mother never made anything with Telosma flowers before, I do know it's used in her native country and the rest of Southeast Asia. But anyways, turns out 'loroco' is a different plant called Fernaldia pandurata. I wonder if it is also quite fragrant (they were young flower buds sealed in a plastic container so I couldn't smell them).

Of course I will make a post when either of them bloom.

Btw, here's a picture of my M. figo from last year. I believe that there are several different clones of M. figo in the trade. Though only slight in variation. I notice in mines, the inner tepals are about half the width of the outer tepals. Where as I notice other plants have tepals widths that are not as extreme between the inner and outer tepal.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

mehitabel, i got the aglaia from accents for home and garden. It was blooming when I received it, the scent was pleasant, candy-like sweet mixed with a subtle lemon scent..

musaboru, for your figo, are flowers consistently like that? Very interesting.

Here's a pic of my figo:
    {{gwi:796386}}

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

No the flowers don't always open up all the way like that. I would say only about 25% does that. The rest opens only partially like in your picture.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, kemistry. BTW, your figo is beautiful! I love the curved, rounded flowers.

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

I've got a lot of figos and a few skinnerianas. The figos bloom heavily in the spring and lightly in the fall, and the skinnerianas don't seem to bloom at all! I've seen a couple of blooms on them, but that's it. And they are over head high. I keep on holding out hope, cause they are touted as better bloomers than figos.
    My foggii has blooms that smell lightly of magnolia and only bloom in the spring.
    The foggis, figos, platypetalla, and skinnerias are all easy to root so once you have one, you can have as many as you like!

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip about the easy rooting, cweathersby. I think I will try it.

• silverkitty777
    13 years ago

My Skinner's banana bloomed heavily in the winter/spring months and lightly in Sept./Oct., it's the only banana shrub I've got so I have nothing to compare it to, but it smells glorious! Like Bananas Foster. yum.