Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowthumb

A mail order source for Osmanthus Fragnans 'Fudingzhu' to Canada?

yellowthumb
18 years ago

Hi All,

It's an unfortunate to live in Canada if you want exotic tropical or subtropical plants.

I have been looking for this one for a very long time with no luck. I have been dealing with Nurseries Caroliniana for quite some time, but the package finally returned back to the sender, they were using the Global Express Guaranteed. The tracking information said 'the package couldn't be delivered as addressed'. Well I live in Ottawa, as you know the capital of Canada. Now I am over 100 bucks out with nothing, it's a painful joke.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me a reliable mail order source to Canada.

Thanks

YT

Comments (14)

• diane_v_44
    18 years ago

Did you try Richters in Goodwood Ontario for this plant

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like that they only do herbs. Osmanthus is far too unherbal to them.

• jview
    18 years ago

Yellowthumb,
    Under these circumstances shouldn't you at least receive you money back? It would only seem right to me. I don't understand. Of course that is not the same thing as receiving the plant you want.
    My sympathy, Jerry

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The Osmanthus are dead at the Canada Customs. The plants were actually not returned to the sender, they were sent out anyway. What can I say about Fedex, their status information is obvious misleading.
    Unfortunately the Customs doens't feel great that day and they decided to hold and destroy it.
    Nurseries Caroliniana is a great nursery, they now want to re-send me the plants, instead of two big ones, they send one big one and 4 liners. it's a smaller package anyway.

I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the sympathy, Jerry. I will pray, fingers crossed, dance and whatever it takes to get my plants.

• pha52m
    18 years ago

Hi folks
    As of March 2002 ,it's a lot easier to get plants sent to Canadian address from continental USA.The only thing you have to do to pass custom is to buy a phytosanitary certificate for your plants if you want to receive your plants by mail.I chose to drive to an American nursey down south,pick up a few plants and drove home.No phytosanitary certificate is required if the plants are with you at the time you cross the border.I have been doing this many time
    the most plants I took home at one time was 20 plants,the most plants allowed for each trip is 50 .If you don't believe me you could check out yourself at www.inspection.gc.ca .Have fun

• jview
    18 years ago

WOW! Thanks for the info, pha52m. That is great to learn. I hope to move to Canada in about two years and I have been getting almost desperate with concern that I would not be able to bring my favorite plants with me, especially those that I've had for quite afew years. Great news!

YellowThumb, I have also had my problems with Fedex, even within the US. It took them two weeks to deliver a plant that was supposed to be delivered in two days. It just barely made it alive. Are you anywhere near Toronto? I may be able to visit there in January (not certain at this time) and I might be able to bring you something. Email me if you like. Jerry

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jerry,
    I live in Ottawa, that's about 400 miles away. Thanks for the offer anyway.

I successfully got two plants from JoyCreek Nursery two days ago, they are using Express Mail and not contracted to FedEx, so I got them. It took about 7 days for the transit. Not too bad across the border. So in general, if you are delivering plants, avoid FedEx, it runs so slow. The next time, I have to specificly tell the nursery to use Express Mail instead of Global Express Mail Guaranteed.

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just a note for my previous message.
    Sometimes, FedEx will charge ridiculous amount of Brokering Fee if you get something from United States.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

UPS also charges a ridiculous Brokerage Fee. I have found the good old Postal Service to be the best.

On plant importations from the US, a phyto is definitely needed for all except 'tropical/houseplants'. Check here:
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/protect/dir/d-02-02e.shtml#2.6

I cannot find the ruling on 'tropical/houseplants' right now but will post later when and if I find it again.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Here is the link to border crossing rules on bringing in plants and other things:

Here is a link that might be useful: CFI rules

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, looks like that I can safely bring houseplants into Canada from United States if I drive myself.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

I know of a couple mailorder nurseries out this way that are discontinuing shipments to Canada because of recent, costly fiascos resulting from how orders were handled by authorities at the receiving end.

If you check web site of Piroche Plants, Pitt Meadows, BC I think you may find that osmanthus cultivar is actually a Canadian introduction. If not, their list may have another you would like a nearby retailer to try and get.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Well, I went to the Piroche site and they have several others but not that one. HOWEVER, as it happens the ONLY source listed for it by Hill/Narizny, 'Plant Locator' (Black-Eyed Susans/Timber) is a Canadian one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant Flora Home

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks a lot for the great suggestion, I already sent an email, I will keep you posted how it's going.