Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattdiclemente

Fragrant Native Honeysuckles

mattdiclemente
13 years ago

What are the most fragrant native Honeysuckles?

And what are sources for these?

I love the Japanese Hall's Honeysuckle, and am not ready to discourage people from growing it because it is invasive in some areas (although here it is not). Many gardeners, and garden experts for that matter, can become real holy rollers when it comes to discussions on this plant. They advocate ripping it out of gardens, or make cavalier statements like "there are so many native honeysuckles, try one of those".

There are a few problems with this kind of attitude though. Firstly, for those of us who consider fragrance in the garden, many native honeysuckles have none to speak of. Beautiful and native though they are, I cannot consider such plants to by any means merit their name.

Secondly, very seldom do these would-be honeysuckle evangelists mention any of the species names of the "so many natives" they preach, and almost never where one may obtain them.

My garden is a fragrant sanctuary, and for now I am at all inclined to take to the Hall's Honeysuckle as Cromwell did to altar retableaus, but I do feel there is some justice in the native plant puritans' criticism, some room for reform and some for compromise.

As a long time member of the New Jersey Native plant society I believe stongly and promoting and cultivating our American native plant species. I feel that if we could cleary enumerate some reasonable native substitutes for Hall's honeysuckle that were cold hardy, vigorous, non-mildew suceptable, and above all, fragrant we might have some place to stand with the average gardener, landscaper and home owner in the matter.

I have read lists and vendors descriptions on fragrant natives. I have also read reportsm that for example Lonicera x heckrottii 'Gold Flame' while often tauted as such has not proved fragrant in some gardeners opinions. What I am looking for here is practice rather than theory.

What natives have you found to be fragrant and garden worth in your own garden. Let's get to the bottom of this one together.

Thanks and best wishes!

Sincerely,

Matt Di Clemente

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA