Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannabelle

Young, Poor, Frustrated 'Gardener'

deannabelle
15 years ago

I just got into gardening aout a year ago, and I not so much frustrated because of impatience but because of finance.

It is hard to spend months and months on a plant and have it die a slow or quick. But what's more frustrating is that I cannot afford to replace the plants I kill.

I am trying VERY hard not to kill them. At the beginning of July (it's now Sept.) I moved from Portland, OR to Blazing Hot, CA. The plants did okay, suprisingly. But my happy, thriving banana plant turned black and shriveled up in a week! What's up with that?

Also, I bought two gardenias when I first moved here - August Beauty and Everblooming. THe August Beauty is totally dying (I had it repooted into a crappy pot but just repotted it into the container in which it came today), while its friend the Everblooming Vietchii is doing well. I have no clue why. However, neither are blooming.

I would like to save all of plants if I can. Also, I'd like some tips on what kind of economical, fragrant plants I can buy. I am just so frustrated spending the past year and a half on plants and I only got a few measely blooms from a common jasmine. Even my pink jasmine didn't bloom!

Sorry for this rant.

Comments (4)

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Welcome to the support group! I am struggling with my gardenia killing addiction. So far the other plants that haven't died at my hands (yet) are a hardy 'african gardenia', which really isn't a gardenia, the flowers are small but I love their smell! I got it for my mom, so that one probably won't die. I'm trying to get her addicted to gardenias again..she's killed before too. Maybe that's where I get my genes for this affliction I have.

Even though I do kill gardenias, I did get a truculent one to bloom for me (before I killed it), someone on this board suggested giving it more sun (it was potted, and got shade half of the day), and it worked! Really! I have photos, I swear! :D Gardenia's are psychic, that's all I have to say. They KNOW if you care about them, and they will self destruct if they pick up on that emotion. So, be warned.

Here's the plants I've killed (accidentally, not the ones I did purposefully):

australian finger lime
    passiflora (a red one)
    a fig tree
    a lemon tree
    a gardenia
    a 'hardy' gardenia
    a pomegranate
    a jasmine plant (that I grew from seed for years, and then it died before it would bloom!)

There were others, but these are the most recent that I can remember. Misery loves company, right? ;)

Welcome to the support group, ha ha!

There is also the plant and/or seed exchange forum here, if you want to get plants cheap.

• longriver
    15 years ago

Deannabella: I live in Ca. I used to travel to Portland very often. There are differences between Portland and Ca.

1. We are still in dry season in Ca. You can dig a hole into an open ground. You can find out how dry it is down there. We need good potting soil here and auto-irrigation is preferred. My garden friend in nursery business mentioned to me that he would water his plants in one gal or smaller container ever day.

2. The Ca sun is more intense, particularily at inland area. You need filterd sunlight or less sunlight for young plants.

3. Select proper time for planting, late winter or early spring is better than hot season.

Hope for the best.

• natalie4b
    15 years ago

I am a rather young gardener myself, and from my limited experience plants do best if planted in Fall. I deal mostly with perennials, seeds, or annual re-seeders - a better investment, unless I really love a particular annual.
    Most nurseries offer a one year guarantee/replacement on perennials (save your receipt).
    Quality of the soil makes a huge difference!
    Patience is a big plus when it comes to gardening. It is cultivated and not sold in stores :-). I am still working on mine.
    Good luck!
    ~Natalie

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Where in CA are you? Are you growing these plants in the house or outside?

Personally, if DH would move, I'd leave Portland in a heartbeat for sun! I miss Phoenix desperately. I grew gardenias in the ground there.

Pink jasmine is a cooler weather plant and may not do well in CA but there are other jasmines and jasmine relatives that will.