Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgarden99

source for jasmine sanbac 'Arabian Nights'

fragrantgarden99
13 years ago

Saw a double jasmine in China that is different than any of the doubles I have seen sold in this country, except for J. Arabian Nights. Does anyone know whether it might be J. Arabian Nights? And if so, would appreciate a source.

This plant is so common in China that they pass the blooms out in tea shops. I have seen some double ones in this country with teeny flowers. The one I saw in China isn't nearly as big as J. Grand duke, but probably about half the size.

Thanks,

FG

Comments (31)

• mams
    13 years ago

I live in CA zone 9, and I see Arabian Jasmine in HomeDepot every summer. If you live in CA you shd be able to find 'em pretty easily. They bloom all summer and are incredibly sweetly fragrant.

Some online source - Logees, Bhatia Nursery..do a google search on 'em to get their website.

Good luck!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

I highly doubt the Chinese would name their Jasmine cultivars as 'Arabian Knights.' Personally, I think it's just a name that one mail-order nursery tacked on to a variety that most likely imported from Thailand. The name of this variety, to my knowledge, is not found elsewhere in literature or publications except being used on garden forums or garden blogs as a result of that nursery's website.

There could be a handful of double cultivars found in Asia and some might have more or less petals and more or less of a scent, different blooming habit, etc.

In my experience the closest looking cultivar I found that looks like the Chinese cultivar(s) with double flowers is J. sambac 'Flore Pleno' from Logee's. The scent isn't as strong as 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' but it does bloom a lot even as a tiny stick (heh). I'll post a picture and let you see if it's good enough for you to forget about 'Arabian Knights' for a while.

• fragrantgarden99
    Original Author
    13 years ago

musaboru:
    I think you might be right. A found a closeup image of J.S. flore pleno and it looks very close to what I have in mind.
    Thank you!
    FG

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

FG, I looks very close, but the petals aren't as pretty when they fully open. Sorry, I don't have a good pic of the flowers, but here's a couple of shots.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

I was browsing some Thai sites and came across pictures of many different varieties that had different types of petals.
    Here's one that was most striking. (Not my picture)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kemistry
    13 years ago

musaboru, does Flore Plena grow fast like the MOO? Its flowers are so pretty, the more I looked at your pictures the more I wanted it. Lol.

+, the jasmine from that Thai site looks like a lotus.. very pretty! :)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Hi Kemistry, my experience with it has been only about a year. It only sent up a long side shoot earlier this summer after repotting and fertilizing. So far, it remains around 1 foot tall and needs stake support as it's somewhat floppy like 'Grand Duke of Tuscany.' If the stems take forever to grow thicker, then I think it's going to turn out as a floppy version of 'Maid of Orleans' but with different flowers.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Hi, Kemistry. I haven't had my Flore Plena as long as musa, just since the first of August, when I got it from Logees.

It has grown nicely, at least several inches, in the last 6 weeks. I moved it from a 4" clay pot, which it had filled with roots, to 6" yesterday. It blooms when small-- it bloomed when I first got it, and now has a flower and several buds. I'm delighted with it-- the flowers have short petals, and lots of them, kind of like a rose. I think you will like it.

I'm sure it will stop growing when it comes inside til next summer, but certainly promises to grow plenty in the summer months.

As musa said, the new growth is kind of thin and floppy.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

thanks for the information musaboru and mehitabel.
    I'm looking forward to grow this Jasminum FP in the future. One cannot have enough sambac huh? :o)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

The newer flower buds on my 'Flore Pleno' are producing more tiers than ever before.

Here's what the whole plant looks like.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!

• kemistry
    13 years ago

So, I just ordered the Jasminum Flore Plena from Logee and I blamed you guys for tempting me into it.. (lol just kidding)

Cannot wait for it to arrive, I know I'll love it.

T0P currently has the Mysore Mulli in-stock, but Mysore Mulli and the 'Flore Plena' from Logee should be the same/similar, right? :)

• kandhi
    13 years ago

Kemistry, TTs mysore mulli is not same as logees flore plena. mysore mulli flowers are bigger and more fragrant that logees flore plena. flore plena buds are small and rounded in structure. Below are my logees flore plena and TTs mysore mulli pics.

jasmine flore plena

TT flore plena

• bunti
    13 years ago

i have ordered 2 J Flore plena plants from logees. I have changed them from 2" pot to 1g pot. They are doing very good. One is blooming like tiers and other is like regular double bloom like J mysore mulli.

I have been looking for J Sambac Arabina knights. But i couldn't find any source.

Musaboru, what is the site name you have looked the jasmine varieties. I have tried to open Morninggarden.com. but nothing is coming up. Lotus like flower looks very good.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Okay I'm adding the Mysore Mulli to my future plant list. Lol. Thanks for the clarification Kandhi! :)

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Yes, thanks for the pictures, kandhi. Your jasmines are so big and gorgeous!

I just ordered the Mysore Mulli from TT. I am enjoying the Flore Plena and Belle of India from Logee's. They are tiny, but putting out one to three blooms at once. Very welcome!

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Seems like TT is offering Arabian Nights right now.

• Sharanya Ram
    5 years ago

Hello everyone ! Can someone point me to an online so for Arabian nights sambac. Top tropical seem be exorbitant.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    5 years ago

Hi Sharanya, I've ordered Arabian Knights from the seller below on eBay. They are currently not offering it but you might email them to see if they will have any in the future.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/muraya00?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

• Sharanya Ram
    5 years ago

Hi Robert !! thanks for getting back , will keep checking on eBay then .Has anyone heard or bought from a seller "Starter plant " on etsy and they also seem to sell under a different name in eBay too . Even this seller had listed Arabian Nights for sale though nothing is available now .

• jasminegal
    5 years ago
    I have bought from starter plants before and they are not bad. I have not bought jasmines from them though.
  • Sharanya Ram
    5 years ago

@ jasminegal .. thanks for your input !!

• Sharanya Ram
    5 years ago

@ Robert ... thanks looked it up. Does the price sound fair for the plant . i have no idea what to expect regd the size and pricing .. newbie effect :P

• jasminegal
    5 years ago
    Robert is right Sharanya. This variety is kind of rarely seen in the trade. If you really want this plant and is in your budget you should get it. The seller is reputable and is not going to deceive you with some other variety.
  • Sharanya Ram
    5 years ago

@ Robert @ jasminegal.. thanks a ton for your advice .

• Sharanya Ram
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi

can anyone help me with the jasmine issue . have attached the photo. It seems all of a sudden the leaves of Mysore malli are drying up

• Sharanya Ram
    4 years ago

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    4 years ago

Hi Sharanya, I am not sure what caused that but I suspect excessive heat. The rest of the plant looks like it will eventually recover. Good luck! Happy growing. :)

• Sharanya Ram
    4 years ago

Hi Dar .. thanks for your help. We did have couple of hot days, but apart from that summer in Wisconsin hasn’t been that bad. my jasmine is in southern exposure , would that be a cause. Does over watering also lead to drying up? Thanks

sharanya