Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

This is why I stay away from these forums!

Andrew Scott
9 years ago

I had not checked out this forum for a very long time. When I did come here, I didn't look into any other posts except for the ones that pertained to fragrant plants that I had.

Now that has all gone out the window, and what am I shopping for now? Michelia alba!!!LMAO!!

I think I may have decided on who I will order it from. I have bought from Mickey who owns Plantogram before and I have never been unhappy. He is selling 3 gal grafted m. alba for $49.99. I will give him a call around the end of the week and get details.

Is this a decent price? From what I have read here, you want a grafted tree because it will bloom faster. Logees is selling grafted trees in 6in. pots for about $50! Are there any other nurseries that I should consider because they are cheaper?

I don't know if this is accurate or not but I read that the yellow form of Michelia is actually more fragrant? If that is true, than why don't people grow the yellow instead of the white?

I know that there is another form that Logees sells that produces yellowish/orange flowers with a banana scent. I know the name of the tree but it has slipped my mind. I would like to get this form someday. I heard a Facebook friend in CA say that it easier to grow and the fragrance is amazing!

Anybody that can suggest different sources that sell good quality trees and are cheaper than what I have found would be great!

Thanks again everyone!

Andrew

Comments (3)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Hi, Andrew!

Not to put a damper on your desire but I do want to remind you these are evergreen trees that can grow huge quickly given the right conditions.
    I've copied the link where I got this plant and I didn't care for the melon like scent plus I knew I had limited space to keep it alive during the winter so I gave it to my friend in OKC who has a sunroom and that sucker has gotten huge in no time (scroll down towards the bottom of the thread to see a pic of how big it got in one year)!
    That being said your first vendor sounds like a great price.
    I got mine off eBay so you might want to look there as well. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: My M. alba

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Robert I do appreciate your advise but I still would like it. I figure if it grows to big, I can prune it back. I actually have gone though this with my Gardenia tree. That tree requires me to prune back at least a foot of growth(or more sometimes!), but because it is so big and produces flowers that can be 5 inches across, I deal with it!!M

Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Robert. I did forget to add that Plantogram mentioned it can quickly grow to 20ft tall. I'm hopeful that with root pruning and top pruning I can keep it happy. I have always loved the tropical magnolias and I had considered this tree before. I also wanted to tell you that a friend of mine on F.B. said that m. figo is a nice variety. It is supposed to be a slower grower, and they said that the fragrance is not exactly like banana. I am hoping to get this one someday also.

Logees offers a magnolia that resembles the southern magnolia and it is supposed to be winter hardy to zone 5! It is deciduous and it has those nice big white flowers. No, they don't look exactly like the southern magnolia but it looks like it could be close!

Fragrance is so subjective! I read that Magnolia grandiflora smells like lemonade! LEMONADE?! REALLY??? I have smelled these blooms many times and I never smelled lemonade!

Thanks again for your help. Also on my list this year is brassavola nodosa! What do you think of this orchid?? I have always wanted one and I am hoping to find one soon!

I also wanted to update you on my GDS. I potted it up in a 4 in. pot and it is root bound all ready. I just wish it would grow on top! I have yet to see any green growth. I did read that it is a slow grower and I am assuming it is partly because it is acclimating to its new environment.

I just hope I can see flowers sometime before the end of the year!

Thanks again for sending me to the grower! My jasmine did come in good shape :)

Andrew

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists