Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandhi_gw

Bringing fragrant jasmines indoors

kandhi
11 years ago

Night time temp is going down to low 50s in our area and I am working slowly every weekend to bring the plants indoors in batches. 1st small 4inch potted plants then 8inch and then 10inch potted plants. I have noticed that small plants get damage fast than bigger potted plants when left outside in low temp. Though jasmines do well outside in 50s but I don't see any benefit of holding them outside for very long. I prefer bringing them indoors but some say that holding them outside in cold temp makes the plant tougher and adjust well indoors. One thing I noticed with all my jasmines is that they are full of buds and they are not doing any better with vegetative or bud growth outside. Buds stay small and open up with no strong fragrance. Last week I brought one of my fully budded jasmine sambac indoors. I trimmed all the old leaves and dried stems and treated it with neem oil/soap before bringing in. I have the plant next to a south facing window where it gets 3-4 hours of direct sunlight. I have noticed that buds started growing big indoors and blooming into bigger blooms than having the plant outdoors in low temp. I cannot do this for all my plants, for some I have to trim them to half size not caring for their buds/blooms as they are huge and bringing the plants indoors that big ( i mean 3-4ft tall) will create problems later with spider mites and other bugs.

Comments (3)