Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocelaris

Aglaia odorata, Chinese Perfume Plant smells terrible?

ocelaris
9 years ago

So I have an Aglaia odorata, and for quite some time it has smelled great, I could smell it all around the house and it's less than 2 feet tall. However lately when it's wet, or has rained it seems like it smells like poo! Literally I kept searching and searching for rabbit poo everywhere thinking the little buggers had buried something nearby; but then it went away when the Aglaia stopped blooming. Now it's back about a month later exactly when the Aglaia is blooming! Has anyone ever noticed that there is a good and bad version of the smell? I also have a Jasmine Grand duke of Tuscany, a Jasmine Maid of Orleans, an Osmanthus fragrans "fudzinghu", some Cannas, Dahlias, some Crocrosmia 'lucifer' and some Petunias, but not all of those are blooming, and it seems too coincidental that it's about the same time as the Aglaia is blooming.

When it's a good smell it's great, but when it's bad it's absolutely atrocious, I can't even sit out by the front porch after the rain when it's in bloom! Anyone else experience this?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia