Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which type of Jasmine?

Posted by shadara 5b-6a (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 9:50

Hi everyone! I'm hoping you can help me with suggestions. Is there a jasmine expert out there? :)

I have a dear friend, originally from Egypt. She lives in zone 5a (central Michigan) and misses the smell of jasmine. So I wanted to get her a plant for Christmas this year. I had NO idea there were so many types of Jasminum.

I am looking for:
-Strong/Heavy Scent
-Relatively easy to care for
-Can go outside in summer, indoors in winter
-Flowers good for making jasmine tea

I want to make a purchase soon before the cold weather comes in, but have no clue which one to get. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which type of Jasmine?

Hi, Shadara. I'm not an expert, but I have an elderly nose that doesn't pick up every scent. So if I can detect a strong fragrance, I think nearly anyone would. Here are some that I have found to be nicely fragrant, purchased just this year.

I believe these are all "classic" jasmines, grown all over the Middle East.

Jasmine Jui from TT, viny bush, small flower, very fragrant. Vigorous.

J. sambac, I have Flore Plena and Belle of India from Logee's, very fragant. Flore Plena looks like tiny rosebuds, Belle has longer, curly petals. Both very fragrant. These two are doubles. Maid of Orleans is a single, very floriferous, very fragrant, very robust. Bloom when small.

J. sambac Grand Duke of Tuscany from Almost Eden. Large very double flower, very fragrant.

J. grandiflorum (double) from Logee's. Viny, smaller leaves. Very fragrant. Flowers pink on the outside. Blooms when small.

Why not tell your friend you are thinking of getting one for yourself (or your mother), show her some pictures, and ask her which one she thinks you or your mother would like?

My Dr is Lebanese, and she loves the Grand Duke, which her parents grew in Lebanon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here