Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilacs turning brown & white powdery spots

Posted by newhomeowner-2009 Catskills (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 10:55

I planted two lilac bushes in May, and they've done reasonably well until recently.

The leaves of one of the plants is turning brown, and the other one has developed white spots and also some browning of the leaves.

Here's one plant, long shot and closeup:
Photobucket

Photobucket

and here's the second plant:

Photobucket

Photobucket

At first I thought the browning may be lack of water, but then I saw the white spotting, which suggests fungus. I have some antifungal (Ortho RosePride, which is Triforine, and Ortho Garden Disease Control, which is Chlorothalonil), but neither mentions lilacs specifically on the label and I was wondering which (if any) should be used, assuming this is indeed fungul. Thanks very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilacs turning brown & white powdery spots

The brown spots are from some sort of chemicals you have used on your leaves.

The white is very common for end of summer lilacs and in fact can only be avoided by treating with an anti-fungus sort of spray in the beginning stages.

Just make sure that once the leaves drop for the season, you rake good and catch it early next year, before it takes hold.

Mike

o

Hmm... I don't really use chemicals on the leaves, though I did put down some anti-weed stuff on the grass some weeks ago. I was careful to keep it off the lilacs.

By the way, I posted a link to this discussion in the shrubs forum, and there was a general belief that I had planted far too close to the house. Do you agree?

o

Hi Newhomeowner. I wish I knew your real name:-0)

I have been growing Lilacs for years and have had them up even closer to my home. They are impossible to burn unless something accidently got sprayed on them or from frost damage.

In fact, I think they will love that spot. They will flourish from the lime leached from the cement and will not be bothered by your home. If anything, they will learn to grow away from your house.

I have been doing some searching for you and found nothing that looks like the leaves on yours.

I'll link you to images to see if you recognize anything. I hope this helps. Good luck with them. I hope this was only a fluke thing for you.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=aaplw&sz=all&va=lilac+diseases

Mike

o

Thanks, Mike. Well you know, I'm hearing that since these lilacs grow so large, they may cause damage. See http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/shrubs/msg091924433130.html?10 What do you think?

I'll be happy to move them in the spring, if that's best, or not, so I'd be curious to get your view on the discussion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here