Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Can M. alba thrive indoor?

newgen
13 years ago

Since all the Michelia alba that I've seen are planted outdoors and inground, I have mine outdoors too, but in a pot. Maybe it doesn't like the hot dry summer here in my area, because it's only flowered once, and not too many flowers either, in the 2 years I've had it. I'm wondering if I should move it indoor but next to a sunny window. What precautions should be taken to allow it to thrive?

Thanks,

Comments (15)

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

It will thrive perfectly in your condition. You can put it in an east or south facing window. I find that it handles sun better than what I read.

The key is to have a good soil mix, I am using the gritty mix. The Alba is happy. Actually too happy. I am having in a wiskey barrel. It gives me two waves of flowers each year, in total of more than 1000 flowers, last for at least 6 months.

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

This is my Alba taken early this spring, just waking up from the winter. Now she is much bigger and denser because of our hot and humid summer. Packed with buds too.

{{gwi:807406}}

{{gwi:807408}}

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi yellowthumb, beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there anyway you can help me get one and get it to where yours is so pretty? I would appreciate it so much..I have a lways wanted one of these..

I e-mailed you...You should be called greenthumb, I keep telling you this..

Mike..:-)

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

Hey Mike,

You got mail.

I got it from Pine Island about 5 years ago. This is an easy plant for me.

YT

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

Pictures taken today.

{{gwi:807410}}

{{gwi:807413}}

{{gwi:807415}}

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Oh MY GOD Yellowtumb!!

You never cease to amaze me with your growining abilities..Beautiful!

Mike

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Awesome specimen Yellowthumb. I notice four stakes on it which I can totally understand, the leaves are so huge and relatively heavy on M. x alba that it weighs down the branches. The way you stake it to support the branches is a good idea, I'm going to steal the idea. :D

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Your plant looks so nice! Mine is in a 24" diamter x 16" tall synthetic whiskey barrel. I'm pretty certain that the soil is not ideal. Is it hard to repot it? What do I need to be careful of? I read that the roots are very fragile. I have a very good soil combo for plumerias (which demands well drain soil, as does M. alba), so I'm gonna use that mix. I'm afraid I might do too much damage while repotting, especially when the pot's so big. Thanks,
    {{gwi:807417}}

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

You pot is way way too big for that plant. All the burnt tips means either fertilizer burn or overwatering. I am thinking root rot here.

You probably have no choice but have to repot it. Get a pot 2 inches bigger than the root ball, I am guessing 14 inches for your plant.

The Alba's root is very fragile. So be as gentle as possible. But they recover in no time once you have good soil. You can put the pot and the plant horizontal on the ground, then gradually digging out spare soil, finally pull the plant out. It won't be too hard.

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks yellowthumb, I plan on this rescue mission tomorrow morning! It's definitely not overfertilizing, the soil always tests wet with the moisture meter.

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How does this pot size look?
    I'm sure I removed a bunch of fine roots with the repotting, but it'll be OK I hope. Thanks,
    {{gwi:807418}}

• kemistry
    13 years ago

^newgen, that pot looks fine to me. Just watch your watering until the roots fill out.

My Alba is about 4 ft tall, doing quite happy in its 12" clay pot:
    {{gwi:807419}}

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I definitely will cut back on the watering. Immediately after flush the pot with B1 mixed in a 2-gallon pot. Thanks,

• yellowthumb
    13 years ago

The pot looks perfect, a clay pot would be even better. But given your zone, doesn't matter that much. Your tree would probably bounce back in a month.

kemistry, you tree is healthy, but I think you need to rotate that tree 180 degrees to get a balanced shape.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

I'll remember to do that. Thanks YT.