Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

Michelia macclurei

cweathersby
14 years ago

Does anyone have any information on this Michelia?

Comments (19)

• jimshy
    14 years ago

Other than an article on tropical magnolias from the website of the tropical plant nursery that can't be mentioned around here, never heard of it -- Australian and New Zealand nurseries seem to get the tropical Asian species way before North America, so their websites might be a place to look.

It sounds great, I hope someone plants one here so we can go smell it!

Jim

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I purchased 3. According to SFA University, they should be hardy here in 8a/7b. I'm not risking it this year though. I'm going to keep them in the greenhouse and plant next spring. I purchased them as pretty large plants, but I have NO idea when they'll be mature enough to bloom. I've got lots of Michelias that are taller than me but haven't bloomed yet. I'm hoping they aren't going to be THAT similar to the Magnolias, some of which can take YEARS to bloom.

• flowers_galore
    14 years ago

where did you get them from? i was looking at this also but could not find any decent flower to see on the web.if it is really as good as they describe i will get it. says it grows zone 10. i notice small pot offering on almosteden however they dont have the flower either. are you also growing M. leavofolia, doltsopa, insignis etc? please let me know. thank you.

radha.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Radha, I'm not sure if you know, but Almost Eden has them available now. 3.5" pot...might be small and might be a few years before you get flowers.

So, does anyone know if this one tops Michelia x alba in terms of fragrance?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

I found this picture. I think the flowers look somewhat like Michelia doltsopa and the foliage looks like Michelia figo.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.china-landscape.net/wz/1614.htm

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

Thank you Musaboru,
    i did get one from almost eden last year. it is growing nicely. beautiful pic you posted, i am excited for the flower..

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

How big was it when you got it? And has it been easy to care for?

I hope you and cweathersby can chime in when they finally bloom. I'm still debating with myself if I should get it or not...

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

It was a little over half a foot, now it is about a foot.. it is very healthy although it had some cold burn. i will post the picture soon...

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My 3 are about 4 feet tall now. No blooms yet. The leaves are much bigger than the figos and the growth habit is totally different. More like a tree than a shrub. They all overwintered just fine on a southern wall and have been planted in the garden.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Here's mine that I recently got from AE (amongst with some other Magnolias for comparison):

Thanks everyone for your input. :)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Here are some better quality pictures I found on some Chinese sites.

• chubite
    13 years ago

Hi,

I was wondering where did you get the magnolia sirindhorniae since I can't find any US seller that sells it.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Hi Chubite, I grew the M. sirindhorniae from seeds last year. I purchased them from http://exotenversand.de . They no longer have Magnolia seeds available, but you can try emailing them. :)

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

Musaboru,
    the above pics you posted, is it M.macclurei or M.doltosopa?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

It's actually M. macclurei, it does look similar to M. doltsopa though. Michelias can look quite similar to each other.

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

If that is M. Macclurei, i cannot be more happier..But the M Macc i got from AE has different leaf structure. This one almost looks M.Laevifolia or Doltsopa..
    The above pictures are so good, i cannot wait for the blooms..
    regards..

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Radha, I take that back. If I recall correctly, some of the sites those pictures are forum may have had "variety subleana" on them. I didn't think they could possibly be very different.

Here's a thread where there are lot of pictures of the leaves. All believe to be M. macclurei, whether they are the regular species or the variety, I'm not so sure.
    http://www.magnoliathailand.com/webboard/index.php?topic=3529.0

Magnolia macclurei was given the name Champi Sri Dara in Thai on that forum. That means something like "Supreme Star Michelia."

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Oops, that's the wrong thread, that was actually comparing between M. maudiae and M. macclurei.

Here's the thread I meant to post that's all M. macclurei:
    http://www.magnoliathailand.com/webboard/index.php?topic=384.0

• cweathersby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My macclureis still haven't bloomed. They do NOT like the dry weather we've had this year. No growth at all, and much die back. Just a warning to all of you out there - put these where they can get watered! I've got some figos that have never gotten a drop of supplemental water and have thrived just fine. They are banana TREES now instead of banana shrubs.

As a side note - does anyone know of any perfume that smells like michelia figo? I know they use m alba in joy, but was wondering about the other.