Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newskye

anyone grow cestrum diurnum?

newskye
17 years ago

I just wondered if the day-blooming version is anywhere near as fragrant as the nightbloomer. If so then it might be an idea to get one of each for a closer to constant garden fragrance.

Comments (13)

• ankraras
    17 years ago

Have had two night Jasmine in the past, I would have a rather closed mind if I didn't try at least one day Jasmine myself. Hope we get lucky
    and someone will give us an idea about if it's flowers have a really wonderful fragrance.

{{gwi:8337}}

• cweathersby
    17 years ago

NOT AT ALL FRAGRANT!
    SERIOUSLY!
    I bought one of these. The tag said cestrum nocturnum x diurnum. I figured any plant that was related so closely to night blooming jasmine must be fragrant. But I was WRONG!
    I am mad at them for giving these plants the same name and not putting on the tag or info sheet that it is not at all fragrant like the night blooming jasmine.
    When I say not at all fragrant that is what I mean - there is not even a hint of fragrance. Not during the day and not at night either. It does bloom all of the time instead of only 2 or 3 flushes a year like the night blooming jasmine. And the blooms are yellow instead of white. But this is not a plant that I would have bought if not for the expectation of fragrance. It gets really big like the night blooming jasmines, and it is supposed to be hardy in my zone. I was really excited to have a hardy cestrum until I realized there was no fragrance.
    I'll stop ranting now ... sorry ... glad to see that others were glad to see this plant and willing to buy it just on the hope of fragrance. Makes me feel a little less guilty over buying this plant and hating it. Maybe I've talked you out of it and saved you money and dissapointment!
    Carrie

• newskye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, what a pity! Next year I'll be focusing on fragrance in my garden, so I'd hoped... ah well. I'll grow the nightblooming one at least.

• cweathersby
    17 years ago

newskye,
    If you are focusing on fragrance then here's my list. You are lucky to be in the zone you are in, I'm always worried my plants will get too cold.
    Sweet olives - lots of them
    Banana shrubs, Michelia figo or skinneria
    Any other michelia you can get your hands on
    Roses
    Jasmines
    Datura
    Winter honeysuckle
    Nicotania
    Daphne
    Chimonanthes praecox - also known as Wintersweet -this is a must have - no question about it.
    All of these are fragrant enough to me to make it worth it. Lots of fragrant plants either aren't very fragrant! About half of these have a wafting smell so you don't even have to put your nose into it!

• newskye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cweathersby, thanks! I have roses, but not very fragrant ones, and I have winter honeysuckle, but I can only smell a faint scent if I crush a flower between my fingers and practically stick it up my nose. I have a jasmine, but not a fragrant one! Argh! I bought a witch hazel recently, so we'll see how that does. Next spring I'm planning on cestrum nocturnum, 4 o'clocks, night scented stock, nicotiana, clerodendrum. I would definitely like some wafting things. I'll research your list.

• fernaly
    17 years ago

I thought that cestrum diurnum was supposed to have white blooms and smell like chocolate. I have a yellow one and it doesn't have a fragrance

• cweathersby
    17 years ago

For fragrance in roses go for the David Austin ones. Tamora, Ambridge Rose, Jude the Obscure, Abraham Darby are just a few of his really good ones for fragrance.
    I mostly love the Winter Honeysuckle because it blooms in the winter. There isn't really enough smell to it, but in January it lifts my spirits to even catch a whiff of anything. Wintersweet (Chimonanthes) smells lots stronger - but doesn't wafte - also blooms in winter, but for a much shorter spell than the winter honeysuckle.

• cakins
    17 years ago

Judging from the one down the block, diurnum is fragrant, but less than nocturnum.

• silverkitty777
    17 years ago

diurnum is fragrant, not as strong as night blooming though, and has white flowers that look just like the night blooming greenish white ones. maybe yours was mislabeled? Sorry I can't help more.

• joanmary_z10
    17 years ago

newsky, I have both of the Cestrums.
    The C. Diurnum is a day fragrance. Soft and gentle, it wafts about 20 feet to my front door but is not as strong or dramatic (headachy) as the CN. The C. Nocturnum is fragrant at night.
    The CD has a soft fragrance of milk chocolate, a food source for butterflies. Possibly the CN is a food source for moths, but I've yet to see any around the shrubs at night-time. Hope this helps. Its certainly worth having both in the garden. The CD is a very fast grower, given enough moisture. My 4" baby is not about 15+ feet and quite 'tree-ish' though it still puts out stems from the lower end. A very large branch (trunk???) split from the main body during Wilma but a year later, its fill out again quite well. So its gently fragrant, fragile during hurricanes, is a butterfly nectar source and seeds exceptionally well with a high rate of germination.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

The cestrum nocturnum is a food source for hummingbird moths. I had a huge potted one blooming next to my front door and one morning in September, I woke up early and the sun was just rising. The flowers were still open and that plant was just covered in hummingbird moths. It was incredible!
    ~SJN

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Some say the yellow c. nocturnum crosses with c. auranticum are fragrant; the only one I've smelled didn't have any. You'd think you could cross it with an old inner tube and it'd still smell good, but I guess plant genetics ain't that simple. I'm going to try a diurnum next spring, would love to hear other reports on it.

Jim

• juliez
    17 years ago

I don't know the variety of my nicotania but I was lucky enough to have it reseed this year and had the most beautiful smelling night patio in the state! The flowers are very white and glow at night with the smallest amount of light. My bedroom overlooks these plants and on two occasions I have seen a hummingbird collecting nector--once at 10:30pm and another time at 1:00 am. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and took my flashlight out and sure enough, it was a hummingbird! These particular plants that I had were 3 feet tall/wide. I just love them and have harvested hundreds of seeds for next year and to share with my friends.