Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
take a guess

Posted by fragrant2008 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 13:55

I know this one will not be easy but here it is

photo IMAG0007_zpse760ea9f.jpg

Its a magnolia i imported from taiwan i honestly did not think it was going to make it seemed a very strange craft! it also lost all its leaves and the top was dieing back when it arrived :(
But i am so happy that it seems to be turnng around budding up new leaves should pop open any day soon
I believe its pretty rare flowers are very similar to Michelia champaca but bigger and the scent is said to be very strong

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: take a guess

Fragrant,
COngrats! It looks like it is healthy and ready to leaf out.
Wow, what a big size! That's going to be quite a nice big tree when the leaves fill out.
Very nice, keep us updated.
Feels good when you get a new baby, doesn't it?

o

• Posted by Tolip Tropical (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 20:16

Guess what? What do you want us to guess?

o

Thankyou Butterfly4u :) and what type of magnolia Tolip going on the little description :P i was just so happy that it seems to be turning around

o

What kind of Magnolia is it!?

Where can I get one?

I wish you all the best!

Mike

o

OK Here's my guess, Magnolia Figo, or Banana Shrub.
Well, How did I do?

o

Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 1:10

It's either a Michelia Champaca or a Michelia Alba. Only the colour of the bloom will tell.

o

Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 1:15

But are those to be leaves or blooms? New leaves are also enclosed in a covering.

o

One or two buds look like flower buds to me. If the flowers are very similar to Champaca then perhaps it's a variant of Champaca? Maybe a 'Sinuan'? How did you acquire this baby? I want one. Lol.

o

Bingo! i believe you are right Kemistry i know it as Magnolia rajaniana but i believe it also comes under "Champee Si Nuan as well as a few other names :P its a New Thai hybrid
Does not seem to be much info out on the net and untill it flowers i will not be 100% sure as it was bought of ebay and some websites show the flower as white not orange
Here is a photo of what the flowers are suppposed to look like size of the flower can reach 5-6"
I guess it a matter of wait and see :)

photo PC151383_zpsb78d7b68.jpg

This post was edited by fragrant2008 on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 10:13

o

I have a Daphne bush that was grown from a cutting taken about 4 years ago. Every year it has had more and more flowers, but this year something strange happened... It had a second flush of flowers, not a lot, about 12 stems, and now it has berries/seed pods. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? everyone I have asked has said they have never heard of a second flush of flowers or berries/seeds on an ordinary Daphne bush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here