Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in September!

Cymbidium 'Maureen Carter'. Course I did some research online and there are many clones that are different but have the same name. So far mine is not that fragrant. It has a light lemony Magnolia like scent. Probably won't be a keeper.

-Robert

Comments (43)

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Hybrid Musk rose - Felicia - 2nd flush

Heavenly scent -Wafts in right temp. Rose water and a twist ;-)

Lovely Orchid, Robert, sorry for lack of fragrance, maybe with age it becomes better :-)

My Cestrum is full of blooms but not wafting...

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Oh, that is unfortunate Robert. I had read that Maureen Carter is one of the better scented Cyms. Too bad orchids are mostly sold as mixed seedlings from grexes and not mericlones or divisions. I had the same happen with a jewel orchid that is said to be fragrant. Mines turned out to have no scent at all.

True-blue, what is the "musk" scent like? Is it like the scent of paperwhites?

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Musa, in my experience, if you bring it in and smell it up close there is sort of twist to it. Haven't neither smelled the original musk rose (which is faintly related to the hybrid musks) nor the multiflora rose, which is a more direct ancestor), nor other Pemberton's HM, I'd say it has a hint of myrrh scented roses (tamora, Constance Spry, belle Isis etc,). Not to much, but enough. Nothing to do with paper whites though :-)

• ordphien
    9 years ago

I like that cymbidium.
    I have a nicely fragrant purple standard Cymbidium that I love.

Nothing new blooming.
    But some haven't stopped.

Double crape Jasmine. I really like this plant. The flowers are long lasting and wonderfully fragrant.
    Hints of nutmeg and jasmine.
    Most like stephanotisin scent.
    Not super powerful but a bush in bloom can waft a few feet on the right nights.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Here is a few of mine now that I finally got a new sim card..By theway, your flowers are amazing all of you just like always..I love them!

{{gwi:617935}}

More to come my dear friends when i get more time///Happy Tusday and enjoy!

Mike

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

True-blue, thanks the for the explanation. I have Tamora and its one of those scents I am not sure if I hate or like. I think I better sniff these musk and hybrid musks in person before I think of ordering one. Here's Tamora...lovely compact bush but scent is unusual, not necessarily repulsive.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Tamora is beautiful. Almost bought one.

Miniature dendrobium in bloom.
    Dendrobium oligophyllum.

Fragrant of honey.

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Mike you have some stunners there esp like the colors on the lilles :)

• ordphien
    9 years ago

My brunsfelsia is starting another flush.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Arabian jasmine going strong.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Kaffir lime is blooming.
    Smells delightful. A little hard to detect amongst all the extremely aromatic foliage.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 12:53

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Buttons gardenia.
    Very buttery.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 4:17

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Musa, I've got Tamora and I don't like the scent. I know some love it. With Felicia it is quite different, it's like a perfume blend ,where they mix different ingredients to create depth and texture. Here you have old rose with a touch of "musk/ myrrh", which is actually nice.

Mike lovely flowers, especially the Austin.

Ordphien great as usual. Love that miniature orchid :-)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This morning I could detect the scent of my Cymbidium 'Maureen Carter' (light yellow) while I was watering plants above it. I figured it must be because of the newly opened blooms but it turns out it was the old bloom that smelled stronger than when it first opened. Go figure.

My Jasminum azoricum (white) is finally blooming. Its scent is muskier than what I remembered. Reminds me a bit like J. officinale.

I'm excited that my Tillandsia cyanea (purple/pink) has a bloom! No scent this morning but I'm hoping in the hot afternoon sun come lunch time I'll smell its delicious clove like scent. :)
    I've been giving it more dappled sun and it seems to like it.

-Robert

P.S. True-Blue, Please don't mention anymore roses. I just bought Felicia on a whim from the Antique Rose Emporium.
    Figure I can replace a lackluster honeysuckle I've got at the base of one of the arbor supports with Felicia. :)

This post was edited by robert1971 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 11:36

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Gorgeous.. Simply GORGEOUS!!

Love them All..

Mike, impressive.. Glad you have a new SIM card! Nice!! Now we can see more pics!! ;-)

Ok. I have a few. But I think you all know most are Plumeria, but I do have a Ginger blooming.. It's incredible. But, here is one that I love.

Royal Hawaiian Plumeria

Thanks for all of the eye candy and dreaming of the fragrance......

Laura

• blutayle
    9 years ago

In the depths of my humid bathroom my Zygo finally put on her show. Love these hybrids with the short stout leaves and double spikes. Kinda of a peppery spicy sent, not so much floral.

And just a short month ago...spikes just emerging...

• greendale
    9 years ago

Congratulation to everybody for the lovely flowers.
    Here are some of mine:

Mitriostigma Axillare -could not get rid of those brown leaves, maybe too much sun??

OsmanthusFragrans 'Fudingzhu'

Tuber Rose (Wonderful smell)

Aglaia Odorata

Citrus Fortunella

Michellia Alba still going strong

• misha74
    9 years ago

Nice pics, everyone... A joy to look over.
    Here are some of mine:
    Hedychium gardnerianum

• misha74
    9 years ago

daphne x susannae 'cheriton'...repeat bloomer.

• misha74
    9 years ago

jasminum grandiflorum

• misha74
    9 years ago

brugmansia

This post was edited by misha74 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 18:03

• misha74
    9 years ago

aglaia odorata vs. chloranthus spicatus :)

• misha74
    9 years ago

clerodendum philippinum

• ordphien
    9 years ago

That clerodendrum is beautiful.
    What does it smell like.

I sure wish I could find the single tuberose locally.

Today I discovered my giant potato vine has a lovely soft spiced fragrance.
    Love this vine.

• misha74
    9 years ago

Ordphien, cler philippinum has a wonderful and intoxicating scent. It has a full perfume structure with its complexity. In my opinion its a mixture of bubble gum, rose, vanilla and black currant. At the end it is unique and memorable.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful pics, everyone! Please keep them coming!

IMO Clerodendrum philippinum smells like banana Laffy Taffy and sambac jasmine. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another orchid bloomed. Blc. Fatari 'Carmela'.
    So far no scent. I'm always impatient and forget it takes time for most orchids to develop a scent.
    Maybe this afternoon?

-Robert

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Lol! Everytime an orchid blooms I sniff it right away.
    And I'm always disappointed for the first few days.

On a side note about my potato vine.
    For the last month or so I've been smelling the strong scent of a sharry baby oncidium. Mainly in the first half of the day.
    I searched my yard head to toe, but none of my fragrant plants were producing the smell.

I wrote it off as a neighbors plant and decided to just enjoy the scent.

Today I found it.
    My giant potato vine smells exactly like a Sharry baby!
    And in the afternoon lightly of spices.

And boy does it waft.
    Not as strong as sharry baby. And doesn't get any more apparent the closer you get.
    But I can smell a clear fragrance wafting all around my yard.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

That's funny Ordphien. I had the same type of experience with an "unscented" plant.

On hot days, I noticed a sort of honey scent with a pungent twist (like chrysanthemums). Very unnerving as I couldn't find it.

Then when I brushed against my Kalimeris incisa blue star, I found the pungency and then I realized that all the time the honey scent was coming from it :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Orchids are tricky for sure and I love being surprised by plants that you think aren't fragrant but they are. ;)

Cymbidium ensifolium Mayor's Red opened this weekend. So far it has a lovely light perfume scent like Aglaia odorata. :)

-Robert

• kemistry
    9 years ago

Eek congrats on the Cymbidium ensifolium. I have always wanted to grow it; and mine kept dying :))

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Misha which one do you prefer, Agalia or Chloranthus? Love your photos by the way :-)

Lovely orchid,love those red burgundy streaks, Robert.
    How is your Orange Peel by the way?

Yesterday, sitting at several feet from Osmanthus, each time the light breeze showered us, with it's lovely fragrance. This is a plant that truly becomes magnificent with each year, if the gardener is patient enough....

• misha74
    9 years ago

Thanks, true-blue!
    I envy you on that beautiful osmanthus...It still isn't in my collection.
    IMO Aglaia's scent is more refined and freshier but when it comes to intensity and wafting, chloranthus wins. Love them both because their fragrances are very similar.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thanks Misha for the update. Osmanthus is truly an amazing plant. Mine was a woody stick for a couple of years, and this year it put out 6"/ 15 cm of growth, and it's full of buds. I grow mine in part/ bride shade outdoors and indoors at northwest window.

Today it was filling the patio with it's lovely scent :-)

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Love all the pictures! I am starting to consider a few others now. Osmanthus is sweet olive correct?

Hey Mike. What's the name of the first orchid you posted a picture of on September 2? Is that Brassavola nodosa? The other orchid looks like neofinitia is that right? I was under the assumption that neofinitia was challenging to grow. What is your opinion?

I know you have the osmanthus..aka sweet olive. Should I get that? If you only had room for 1 tree and you could choose between osmanthus and the African gardenia, which would you choose?

My mission today is to clear out my email so I can message you and also get yours.

Andrew

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

A few orchids

colmanara wildcat

unnamed cattelya very frgrant

odontoglossum crocidipterum

Aliceara Mervyn Grant âÂÂTalisman CoveâÂÂ

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Beautiful orchids! Thanks for sharing!

Andrew

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Your orchids are beautiful.
    I wish I could grow oncidium alliance plants.

Original Author
    9 years ago

My single Jasminum grandiflorum is finally starting to bloom!
    I love its scent and I'm hoping maybe some hummingbirds or hawk moths might enjoy the blooms as well. :)
    My 'Flora Plena' has a nice scent however its blooms don't always fully open.
    I like the simple larger petals of the single variety.

-Robert

Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally Brunfelsia gigantea is blooming and the scent is divine!
    Why does it have to smell so awesome but be so freaking huge, demand tons of water and only bloom once late in the season?
    Ugh. Told myself this was its last year but now that I sniff its glorious perfume I've caved! Laugh.
    Still necessity might win out when it finally gets too cold and there's no room in the basement. ;)

-Robert

Original Author
    9 years ago

A friend gave me a Zygopetalum after it was done blooming and I never repotted it and felt guilty about it but to my surprise it's blooming again!
    Just opened today so no scent yet. :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hello gang..Here are a few for you) Soo good to see all your beautiful plants and to know you are all doing well. Here are a couple more.

{{gwi:628751}}

{{gwi:628750}}

{{gwi:628752}}