Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia fertilizing question

Posted by princesspea sunset14 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 15:04

Hi all,
I have three gardenia planted next to my deck: August beauty, vetchii and mystery. I am in San Jose. the plants have eastern exposure and a nice acidic soil condition with plenty air and correct temperature swing from day to night as they are next to an open sided deck.
The August beauty has the habit of setting tons of flowers and then having the dreaded yellow leaf/green veins that indicates iron deficiency, the poor dear. The other two are more steady slow bloomers while miss August seems to do it in flushes.
Here is my question: is it the heavy bloom that takes nutrients away? Is it because this plant is between the other two and staying too warm? Also can I fertilize this one ( between the other two) more often without hurting its neighbors?
Thanks,
Pea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia fertilizing question

princess,
The only way to absolutely know if it is an iron problem is to have the soil tested at your local County Extention office. They will test it for you for a small fee.
If you are absolutely positive its the iron, you can buy Foilage Pro by Dynagrow, look up online, and dilute it next spring and feed that to your gardenia that appears to have damage from lack of iron.
If you use a safe Foliage Pro diluted on your gardenia you won't damage it. Iron can damage your plant if too much is applied so go with something gentle. It's also one of the best fertilziers on the market.
I bought mine online, my gardenias like it in the spring and they green up real fast. I have bad soil so composted manure and Foliage Pro works wonders.
Shrubs do take minerals out of the soil, that is why composted manure once a year and a good fertilizer with all the essential minerals really makes your plants healthy.

o
RE: Gardenia fertilizing question

I will use manure for top dressing in a couple weeks. Does anyone here know if its liked by citrus, stone fruits, roses, rhizome plants like ginger and iris.... I hate to buy a big bag and use a quarter of it. I have a small yard, little storage, and almost no budget.

I have foliage pro for my lemon trees. Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try in spring. It looks like many gardenias in the nursery here have the similar leaf yellowing as mine- and only that variety. Reassuring in a way!

Pea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here