Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rajiram_gw

One more plant for fragrant addicts

Raji Ram
11 years ago

I haven't seen any post about Pakalana vine. It is another plant for fragrant addicts. We used have them in our home town. Very fragrant, yellow flowers loaded with nector.

Comments (26)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I've been curious about Telosma cordata for sometime now. I've read how some people have had problems getting it to bloom. My main issue is that it's a vining plant that's not cold hardy where I live so I'd have to grow it in a pot with some support for it to grow on.
    How do you describe the scent?

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Telosma cordata

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Funny. I've been thinking of getting a replacement of this plant all this week. And I'm very tempted! My only limitation is not having space for one but I think I've said that too many times already. Lol. And of course the nursery near me just temps me with a boronia megastigma -- I've been waiting for this plant for years too-- .. ahh.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Indeed, Kemistry. This is the plant you were just talking about recently. How lucky you are, can get boronia megastigma from local nursary. I have never seen boronia megastigma in my local nursaries or anywhere. what size plant the nursary sales? Do you know if they do mail order?

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know how to descripe the scent. But it is heavy pleasent smell. If you like champaca smell, you will love this one too. It is a delicate vine. It needs moisture and heat to bloom I think.
    Now I am tempted by boronia megastigma

11 years ago

Kemistry is always tempting us with just one more fragrant plant! Laugh.
    Thanks for the Telosma scent description. I've read that fragrant lovers should have this plant.
    Maybe next year I'll try one! :)

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

I have telosma since this winter, grows like a weed but hasn't bloomed yet... Kemistry, where did you find b.megastigma I've been looking for it for years!! Noone in australia is willing to ship :-

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Ah you guys, we should start a B megastigma movement. Lol.

This plant is currently available at Cistus Nursery
    See this link:
    http://www.cistus.com/retail/retail_plants/retail_new.html

It's in their retail section which means the plant is large. I think they do ship but for additional cost (since they usually ship smaller sized plants).

Good luck everyone! Please update and post pic if you do decide to get one. : )

It's hard to choose but darn it, I think i'll go for the telosma. (lol).

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kemistry. Cistus has 1 gl size plant. The price is reasonable for this size. but the shipping cost probably will be more than the plant itself. I definately want this plant but if they have smaller one in Spring time, I might order a smaller one ...very tempted. I envy you live so close to Cistus... easy to access these fragrant plants...

11 years ago

Okay...broke down and ordered a Telosma cordata vine off eBay for $10 ($17.50 with s&h).
    I was really tempted to order another plumeria but then I decided I needed to not limit my nose. Laugh.
    So now I've joined the ranks of Kemistry and fenius! :)
    Now how I'm going to grow such a large vine come next summer will be the real challenge. I thought growing it with Passiflora x belotii would be a lovely color combo. ;)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Ok, I wanted to join the ranks too, but E-bay only had one up for bid with no one bidding at 9 dollars..lol

It has 4 days left and I wonder what it will be by then:(

Oh well, maybe next year.

There is a whole lot of enablers here.lol

Mike

11 years ago

Hey, Mike!

Glad I could enable.
    The seller I got mine from currently has 5 left and my total was $17.15, not $17.50. ;)
    He's awesome btw. I got my Mysore Mulli Jasmine from him as well.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay seller

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert. don't laugh, but I just bought one too>>>>>>laughing at load from joy!

Now, who can we blame for this? I know I can blame you for the extra push though..And then we finally get flowers on our plants, we can thank our enabler..lol

By the way, me thinks this plant grows almost like a Hoya. What do you think?

Oh, I can't wait to get mine. Another thing we have in common pal.

Mike

11 years ago

Ha! I'm glad you took the bait. Laugh.

I don't know about it growing inside but I've seen pics of it covering fences outside so it looks to be a fairly rampant grower. I suppose it will be worth it if we ever get any blooms from it! :)

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Nice, Robert. I think you got ahead of Kemistry. He wanted to have one , but I am not sure if he got one aleady or not. I have been thinking of this plant , but its growing habit is unknown to me so I just postpone buying it. Give you guys a chance to comment on it first..LOL.
    Guess what I just bought last night?? look at the price tag, Now , I am really in trouble...no room left.

11 years ago

Kemistry got one from Logee's. He's always ahead of us. ;)

Wow! You got a ton of orchids! Does the price tag say $12.50 or $2.50? I'm sure it's the former. Laugh.
    I have the same Brassavola nodosa hybrid from Better-Gro. Mine still hasn't bloomed since by the time I found it at Lowe's they had neglected to water it as usual. Maybe next year?
    I'll keep us posted on Telosma cordata if you keep us posted on the scents of all these orchids! :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Annie!

Annnnnddddd!!! Just about all fragrant orchids too!

I can't believe you did that, of wait, I can believe..lol

By the way, I am with Robert, if all you paid was 2.50, then I will cry after a good laugh!

Robert, yup, you did it to me again.lol
    By the way, I can't believe it is sold in Logee's! I think I have seen it in bloom there and I know for sure they use mature cuttings. Lucky Kemistry for sure.
    Let's see what happens to ours Robert. I woild love to see flowers, smell and eat them by next summer, if we can do it.
    If one succeeds over the other, why then, we can help each other and share the secret.

Mike:-)

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Oooh, Lowe's loves me for sure. I cleaned up their rack... got all the orchids they have on sale... I searched and searched, there were only 6 left... I wish I was there earlier. Yeap, $2.5 each total $15+tax.

The pink Encyclia has chocolate scent, the Maxillara has coconut scent, the B. nodas... well, we all know its scent is wonderful but none of us has smelled it with our own nose...I actually have one already, but this one is hybrid called "little star" so it might smell a little different. Don't know the scent of the spotted Catt. yet, or it is scented or not. But I am sure the Dancing lady and Wildcat aren't. This summer when I visited a local orchid farm and went shopping spree, I regret left without getting the Maxillara. It was in my next year's plant list, I guess the X'mas comes early now...LOL.

Here is the Maxi. picture after I report it. I think a brown colored oriental style pot will look good. I don't have one on hand, so just potted it into a oriental style orchid pot I have at that moment.

BTW Temperature here was down to 35 last night and will be 32 tonight. Are you guys still toasted warm there?

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

here is another one

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

another one

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

another one...oh, I am tied of posting only one picture at a time... This is the last picture of my new orchid members. Don't want to bore you guys..

rajiram, If you are still here, " One more plant for fragrant addicts" is never enough for the addicted ... The more the merrier... to all, Have a good weekend!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Annie! You know? I could never find orchids at that price at my Lowe's!:((((

If I could, I would scoop them up and make room if I have too. Well, add me to your list to share when they get big enough to and when you find yourself so out of room, not even a mouse can find his way around.lol

Oh, I LOVE the sounds of the Coconut one. LUCKY you for sure, and LUCKY orchids for finding your hands!

I think all Ctaalaya have a fragrance, but don't quote me on that. You will be surprised.

It is suppose to be 70 today again. Maybe a Hurricane by Monday.

Mike

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi, Mike, 70s, still in summer, umh why I did not get this temperature here...ask the folks in FL.,who cares about the hurricanes, when the weather is so warm... Do you by the way have a guess room available so I can stay and enjoy this weather for few more days...LOL

You are so right about the Catt. I just googled, things can't get better... my Polka Dot Nalo Catt. is FRAGRANT and the Wildcat Green Valley is FRAGRANT too, smells like a lilac! But my Dancing Lady " Sweet Ears", no one has said it is fragrant yet. I will google more, but 5 out of 6 is fragrant!!!... I am very happy.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Olymia, of course you can stay! At the same time, I'll take a much needed vacation and you can water my plants while I am away..lol

Wouldn't that be a great idea? You know how they have Exchange Students? What about Exchange Plant Addicts? lol
    While one visits another part of the world or country, the other can come to your place and visit your house.
    We can exchange places for each other enjoying a different part of the world while we each care for each others plants.

Yes, oh wait until your orchids bloom. I can't wait to see what you think. I did not see one Cattalaya that did not have a nice fragrance with it at the orchid show. They all smelled winderful and I remember smelling a 'twinkle' orchid, and I fell in love with it!

Still waiting for teh winds here. I have yet to bring my plants out of the fierce winds about to come for two days.
    Wish me luck.:-)

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi, Mike, Love your wonderful idea of exchanged plant addicts...This way, we know our plants at home are in good hands, and we also get enjoy someone else's new plants... By the time we go home, we may all end up either cured or more addicted...
    Sandy is on your way. You are in my prayer. hope you and your family all safe and sound

11 years ago

Found a great blog about Telosma cordata and Radermachera kunming. Hope my vine gets this huge! Well...maybe not. Laugh.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Notes on Telosma cordata

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Oooh , Robert, you keep me spending$... I can't wait to taste the Telosma omelet...sounded so yummy..

I heard it needs high light, I am just not sure how much light it needs. I will be very anxiously to hear you and Kemistry to post some growth experiences.