Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Osmanthus booster

Posted by Mary47 NC 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 15:25

I have been reading posts on this forum for some time, and wanted to thank the contributors for sharing. For me, the genus Osmanthus has been outstanding, with good appearances and fragrant blossoms, and no requirement for irrigation in my landscape once established, even in times of drought. The deer don't touch them! I have a mature specimen Osmanthus x fortunei that will perfume the entire yard soon, a screen of Osmanthus heterophyllus purpureus and Osmanthus americanus, and a small Osmanthus heterophyllus Goshiki. Thanks to this forum, I have a newly planted and blooming Osmanthus fragrans Fudingzhu from Camellia Forest Nursery. Lucky for me they are close by, and have supplied me with many successful fragrant plants over the years (I especially like Prunus mume, and Trachelospermum and Pittosporum selections, chosen when hardiness was more of an issue in our area).
Question for the experts: Which Brugmansia do you think is best to grow outside here in 7b, my microclimate closer to 8? I have "Snowbank" doing OK since being planted this spring, but it might not have been the ideal choice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Osmanthus booster

Hi Mary!

Thanks for all the osmanthus info! Now I'll have to google them. :)

I live in Tulsa, OK and last year I left 'Betty Marshall' (a white brug with spicy fragrant blooms) in the ground and thanks to the mild winter we had last year it survived! The only problem is it takes all summer for it to grow large enough to flower. :(
It's been blooming for a couple of weeks now but I wish I had kept a larger specimen in a pot for quicker blooms.
You might try posting your question on the brug forum. You'd probably get tons of recommendations. :)

-Robert

o

Mary, "I especially like Prunus mume, and Trachelospermum and Pittosporum selections, chosen when hardiness was more of an issue in our area", we certainly have something in common. I wish I could grow Prunus Ume,Trachelospermum ... in ground.

o

Here in zone 7A, a Brugsmania sprouted, after a nasty Winter, but my experience, also, was that it grew so slowly that it only bloomed in very late Summer. It did not make the next Winter. If you like fragrant plants, I wonder if you are familiar with 'Wintersweet' Chimonanthus praecox, which would be hardy where you live. I have 3, growing in our poor acid sand very slowly, and none have bloomed yet, but they are supposed to be as impressive as O. fragrans.

o

• Posted by Mary47 7b trending to 8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 20:51

Thanks Bogturtle for the follow-up. So no blooms for me this year on the Brugmansia Snowbank, but maybe next year. I have one Chimonanthus praecox of good size, and it set seeds this year. Here it blooms in the depths of winter, and I can scarcely smell it outside, but I bring a branch into the house and it is quite nice. Not as good as my favorite Osmanthus though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here