Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosa43

Michelia alba, Michelia figo

rosa43
14 years ago

I purchased my Michelia alba and Michelia figo plants early this summer. I have them in semi-shade in an unheated sun room. Can someone please tell me how I should care for these plants. I'm planning to heat the sun room this winter to keep the temperature above 40 degrees. Do I need to take them inside with the hibiscus? 'The Michelia alba has some brown spots on its leaves. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    14 years ago

rosa: I don't have a M alba. But my M figo (or banana shrub) is growing beautifully. It is in the ground, facing west. It is infront of our AC unit so might get a lot of moisture here. I would think this is probably not the best spot, but somehow, all the gardenias, camellias and this M figo seem very happy here. I only feed with coffee ground, which I do get a lot from the starbucks.

It blooms in spring. Very sweet. Somehow this year it smells like bubble gum or tooth paste. I like how it smelled before, a very ripe banana smell.

Changsong

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    14 years ago

Noticed your zone is much colder so what I said might not relate to you. I was told that M alba can be huge so it might be difficult to grow in a pot. My banana shrub reaches 4*4 in 3 years.

• rosa43
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll need to keep both of the plants in containers in the sun room to avoid freezing them to death. It's much colder in central Oklahoma. Could you please elaborate on how you use the coffee grounds. I have lots of coffee grounds since it is my drug of choice, but I've been putting them on the compost pile rather than my house plants or porch plants.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    14 years ago

I use coffee ground only on my plants in the ground. I use the slow release fertilizer on potted plants.
    If you cook rice, you can save the water after you wash them on your potted plants. My jasmine, agalia, corn plant and other houseplants definitely enjoy them.
    Happy gardening
    Changsong

• daxin
    14 years ago

M. X Alba is more tender than M. figo. If you are in Zone 6ï¼ they both need to come in your sunroom. They would be semi-dormant during winter but would survive if you can keep the temperature about 40F. Be very careful with watering as these plants can get root rot easily, especially in winter when they are not using much water. It is also helpful to provide good air movement and try misting both sides of the leaves a couple times a week since they are very prone to spider mite infestation indoors.

• rosa43
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have both plants potted in clay pots using a general purpose potting soil. The M.figo looks pretty good, although it didn't grow much this summer, but the M. alba has a few dry brown leaf margins. Do you suggest I repot it in a cactus soil mix, or leave well enough alone and not water it until I see a slight wilt.