Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Osmanthus fragrans

Posted by bogturtle SE NJ 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 16:09

There was, at one time, on the web, photos of the truly red Osmanthus fragrans and on with creamy flowers of huge size. They were being grown in China, but not available to us.
Would appreciate a link to the photos is anyone knows it. A search of the web did not bring it up.
I mentioned these unusual forms on my blog, as my O.f. Aurianticus suddenly put out flowers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Osmanthus fragrans

bogturtle,
there are pics on the web, I just saw a nice pic of the red one.
I couldn't find a supplier for the red one this year.
THey use to sell some of them down where I live, but I haven't seen any, nor was I really loooking for it.
I do have a supplier for orange and yellow, if you are interested.
Woodlanders dot net.
They have quite a few varities of Tea olives and hybrids.
Mabey you could call and ask about the red one, you never know, they might know where to get one.

o
RE: Osmanthus fragrans

Thank you. Nurseries Caroliniana did have a red one, once, and I have the pale orange Aurianticus in bloom now. Congers yellow, from several years ago, never got through its first Winter, here. Auranticus has gone 5 Winters, at least. I could never grow the tender Chinese sorts that are as I described, but was just annoyed that there was a site and now the photos seem unavailable. I am in zone 7A,so my climate is unsuitable for most O. fragrans sorts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here