Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with seeds please.

Posted by mcbdz 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 16:28

Finally got my seeds yesterday, and am very anxious about getting the best germination rate. So, would anyone with experience with any of these please reply. Any pretreatment needed? Would baggie method work or sow in soil? should I nick the hull first? TIA for any responses.
Cananga ordorata-?
Michelia champaca-?
Cassia leptophylla-?

Thanks,
Pattie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with seeds please.

Pattie, guess no one has an answer..lol.
I've never sown seeds from the 3 plants you mentioned..
If one of the seeds are larger, the size of a Morning Glory, it'll root faster if knicked.
I've never sowed seeds in a baggie, but heard it works.
I prefer Peat Pellets..do you know what Peat Pellets are? They're little round, flat disks..soak in warm water about 10 minutes..disks expand. The top of pellet has a hole..Seed is placed in the hole. If seed is large, cover with sand. If small, leaves as is. Set pellets in a tray, water or spray area where seeds are inserted. Cover with plastic until germination. After seedlings are about 2" or more, remove cover. Set pellet and plant in a pot..you don't remove seedling from the pellet. Add appropiate soil when filling container. Set plants in light.

Pellets are soil-less, so a well-dilluted ferilizer helps speed up germination. I also use Superthrive.
Good luck, Toni

o
RE: Help with seeds please.

Hi Pattie!
Sorry but I'm terrible with remembering latin names of plants! Do you know what the common names are?
You might want to check out the seed growing forums and post there as well. Good luck! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here