Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-Invasive Honeysuckle for z4

Posted by ace1rush z4 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 16:39

Hi,

My neighbors here in south-eastern Wisconsin have what he called a honeysuckle bush. This is a new subdivision and the plant is about two years old. Each spring they cut it back to about 1 foot in height. In this growing season, it's reached a height of about 3 feet. Even in late September, it still had a few yellowish-white tubular flowers. Earlier in the year it had a very nice fragrance. Any ideas of what type of honeysuckle this was? They purchased it from a reputable nursery, so I wouldn't think it's invasive.

I'm looking for a fragrant bush to plant along our lot line with the neighbor. Something to attract hummingbirds would be nice as well. I have a bed in place with 3 Hawthorne trees. There is plenty of room for bushes and flowers. The lot line is also a swale line for drainage, we're on the side of a hill. Because of this, this area can get a lot of water during thunderstorms. Our clay soil will really hang on to that moisture. We'll need something that can tolerate the moisture.

I was hoping to find a honeysuckle bush because my wife really likes the smell. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ace1rush

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-Invasive Honeysuckle for z4

I am certainly lacking knowledge of bush or vine honeysuckle that would be a none invasive type. Especially one that would thrive in your climate zone.

o

• Posted by mare2 5bSt.Louis (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 9:59

Sorry I don't know anything about bush honeysuckles, but below is just one site I found by Googling "bush honeysuckle." If you click on the links at the bottom, maybe the pictures will help you i.d. your neighbor's shrub.

You mentioned your neighbors cut theirs back each year, though, and to me it seems a shame to fight the plant's natural growth like that. How big do you want it to get? I would recommend clethra alnifolia, which would stay smaller ('hummingbird' I think is the smallest)and could take your zone and soil conditions. Not sure if they attract hummingbirds, but 'ruby spice' is a nice pink color. Some varieties also turn a pretty shade of yellow in fall. Just a thought.
'Mare

Here is a link that might be useful: invasive honeysuckles

o

I have a Honeysuckle called Woodbine Honeysuckle. It smells plenty fragrant but not that strong as that of the regular one. After flowering, there is a cluster of bright red berries. It can stand -20 to -10 degree F for Zone 5-9.

The instruction indicates to prune annually to control the size. Make a raised bed for planting. Most regular plants hate wet feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here