Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Michelia alba- any suggestions?

Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 17:33

Hi,

I have heard that rooting cuttings of M.Alba is almost impossible. Has anyone had any success? Any tips that you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Anyone air layer a branch with success?

Thanks
mrao77

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Michelia alba- any suggestions?

Never tried the cutting one. I only read once that one guy successfully rooted one with cuttings. Don't know it's true or not. But you can always try.

Air layer is pretty easy but takes a long time and some patience.

First locate a healthy branch, cut the outer bark off about one inch wide. Then get some long sphagnum moss, wrap the wound, then use plastic to seal the moss, finally use some foil to hold everything in position. Now just wait, about one week or so, you have to water the moss, make sure it's always moist. Mine rooted in about 4 months.

o
RE: Propagating Michelia alba- any suggestions?

• Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 11:33

Thanks, yellowthumb! I sure will give it a shot. I have air layered several other plants, but was not sure if Michelia would take roots.
Thanks for sharing,
mrao77

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here