Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelsmell_gw

Has anyone grown a Ylang Ylang plant from seed?

angelsmell
19 years ago

I just purchased some Ylang Ylang seeds and wanted to know other experience you may have had with growing this plant from seed. How is the smell of the flower? Does it bloom for many months?

Comments (39)

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

How long does it take before you get flowers? How did you plants do through the hurricane?

• PatienceDonkey
    19 years ago

Joanmary- do you scarify or soak the seeds at all? Thanks

Lilly

• joanmary_z10
    19 years ago

Well, I have given a lot of seedlings away as exchanges, so I can just comment on the ones I have in the garden. The ones I have kept are about 2-3'tall. That's about 1.5 years growth. (did not keep records on these) I'd say I have a another good year to wait before I have any flowers, judging by the thickness of the little trunk. The one thats flowering in abundance I bought with a trunk about 3/4" wide.

No I dont scarify or soak the seeds, but it may be a good idea to try a few. My soil is very warm, and between the torrential summer rains and my iffy watering habits, the soil does stay fairly moist. Winter here is incredibly dry, and I tend to rely on my Melnor Timers throughout the garden.

I have a new batch of seeds which I'm planting right now. I'll make sure I add the date of planting, and keep a record.

Re these incredibly horrible hurricanes: Our part of Florida (south east) have been so fortunate. The devastation to the parts hit, makes one eternally grateful and so incredibly sorry for those not as fortunate. My Carambola tree was split halfway down the trunk and I have learnt that heliconias are not worth planting as they look like hell! In fact, today the last of the huge circle of H's has just gone into the garbage, many moans later from the fellow who dug the roots out!!

Felled palms and broken branches, and a roof or two being blown off were the worst for us. So we are thanking our lucky stars. We keep our hurricane internet sites handy though! Wish the H. season was over.

• PatienceDonkey
    19 years ago

Joanmary- do the seeds need to be fresh? How fresh is fresh lol? I have a few seeds that are at least a year old.
    Lilly

• joanmary_z10
    19 years ago

I really dont know how fresh they have to be to keep viable. When I do a ylang ylang seed exchange, I always put the date on the exchange page, so people can see how fresh my seeds are. Whatever seeds are not taken in about a week, I plant, without wasting any time. I have had pretty good luck with this.

Try planting them as above and hope for the best. What do you have to lose, right? Dont forget = dont EVER let them dry out in your seed bed!

• PatienceDonkey
    19 years ago

ok thanks! I went ahead and planted them like you described, and I will wait to see what happens lol. I did soak them overnight, hope that will help them. Thanks a lot Joanmary

• joanmary_z10
    19 years ago

You are welcome.

• longriver
    19 years ago

I never have a Ylang Ylang. I hope to buy or to exchange to have a few seeds to germinate. I do develop about 150 to 200 new camellia seedlings very year. Some of my this year's seeds are germinating now. So I have some and different experiences in germinating of seeds.

Let me outline a simple and fun method I developed last year for germination of seed in my home.

1. Go to PetsMart to get a very large(But it cane be lifted by one person) tropical fish tank unit and a fish water heater
    2. Buy a long and narrow glass jug.
    3. Buy the best potting soil mix and the mix it with extra 30% of coarse sand and perlite.
    4. Find a few about 1/2 Gal aquare plastic pots with good drain holes. and buy proper size coated racks( can be two in one tank).
    5. I put moist soil mix in a nice transparent poly bag and heat it hot in microwave.
    6. The narrow jar is filled with water and submerge the water heater. Adjust proper setting. The tank space is about 70 to 72 degrees F. Use foil to cove the jar tightly to prevent evaporation.

Once the set up is done, you can enjoy the tiny green house in the middle of harsh Winter. The light over the tank has the wavelength to help young seedling to grow.

I will be in LA area next week, If any one can help me to point out where and which nursery to visit. Thanks.

• karinz21
    19 years ago

Longriver, what a great idea! I have an ylang-ylang that is now about 8 or 10 feet tall, but will never bloom I fear. It's too dry in Southern California. Thee are many interesting nurseries in LA area, including San Gabriel Nursery, Mimosa in East Los Angeles, and Burkart's in Pasadena.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

HI Longriver, your concept sounds really good, can you take a picture of your set up so I can fully understand your directions? Would you use this say concept even in the summer? So do you put the soil right in the aquarium? Does it drain okay? I guess I'm a little confused. How long do you leave you seedlings in the terrarium? If your heading to Orange county you should visit Roger's gardens...... it's very impressive it overlooks the beach in Newport.
    They always have it decorated so beautiful for every season. you can look up their website www.rogersgardens.com

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Karin21, the regular Cananga odorata gets to be a large tree and has to reach a certain level of maturity before it will bloom, but I believe that they do bloom here in Southern California. There are some which are street trees in Long Beach. My dwarf Cananga is blooming now.

• longriver
    19 years ago

AngelSmell:

I have a picture of last year's.The potting mix was in larger plastic containers with cut drain holes. My picture format is too large for posting. Even Clare showed me how easy it was. I just have not yet to handle a trial.

This year I put my potting mix in about 5"x5" plastic pot. One tank holds 9 containers and one space for tall water jar. If I have time next week, I will take a picture. If you have any email address, I may send you both pictures later.

I have been harvesting my camellia seeds now as the seed pods showing readiness.

To make the story short, In early April, I will move my young seedlings, about 2 to 4 inches, out to my green house. It is very important first to harden the young plants slowly and gardually. It may be possible to germinating veg or other seeds. This is a basic idea. If you want to try it, you may need to modify the set up to fit your own condition.

I plan to put my one gal grafts of M alba in the Summer months in the tanks compared that of in my passive green house. My area is very cool in the evening( even in the Summer time) which is not good for grafting of M.alba.
    I do research for fun.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Longriver: Thank You so much for taking the time to explain again, I think I uderstand but would still like
    to see a picture. I would like to do your idea on a smaller
    version, I wish I had a bigger yard to plant tons of seedlings but I don't. Someday Maybe. I do have some Brugmansia seeds that I would like to start in he aquarium/terrarium that would be fun. I plan on setting it up possibly today. I just want to do rocks on the bottom covered with soil, I also would like to put in miniture plants like the gerber daisy and others that are sold at Mainly seconds, I would like to make a cottage type terrarium. Do you use the regular aqarium light or do they
    have growing lights ?

• karinz21
    19 years ago

Clare, I didn't even know there was such a thing as dwarf cananga. Did you get it mail order? I'm glad to hear that someday I may actually get a flower. I will say that my tree looks much healthier this year than last. The leaves are deep green and glossy; it's growing out of its awkward gawky stage.

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Hi Karen, there are two dwarf Canangas that I know of: Cananga odorata var. fruticosa and Desmos Chinensis. I got my C. odorata var. fruticosa at Natural Selections, and my Desmos Chinensis from Gardino's.

Here's mine:

{{gwi:808467}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Selections Exotics

• karinz21
    19 years ago

Clare, that's beautiful!

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Clare: Your Ylang Ylang is beautiful.... is the smell strong & pretty? What is your favorite smelling plant? What city do you live in CAlif?

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Hi Karin and AngelSmell, thanks for the compliments. The truth is that I can detect no fragrance from the flowers at all. It may be that it is just not hot and humid enough right now. The whole plant has an all over musky smell though and is pretty to look at anyway.

AngelSmell, it is too hard to pick a favorite, I'm afraid. I can give you my top favorites right now (in no particular order):

Michelia alba
    Michelia figo
    Brunfelsia jamaicensis
    Brugmansia
    Datura
    Gardenia
    Tuberose
    Plumeria
    Bouvardia longiflora
    Aglaia odorata
    Osmanthus fragrans
    Telosma cordata
    Passiflora belotti
    Passiflora alata "Ruby Glow"

• longriver
    19 years ago

Clare:

Where is Gardino's Nursery? Any web page or Phone No. I just came home from LA. I went to San Gabriel N. They did not have the plant. The nurseryman told me that most LA areas were not ideal for growing Ylan Ylant, not hot enough and not humid enough. However I think Florida is better for growing YY. I still want to try one like yours in my green house later. Well I was not empty handed. I got two Aglaia speciosa home.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Brugmansia
    Orange blossom
    Sweet Pea
    Michelia Alba
    tuberrose
    heliatrope
    Stock
    Gardenia
    Night blooming jasmine
    Star jasmine
    roses
    nasturtium
    Star Gazers

I never smelled datura or michelia Figo... I hope to soon since I just bought a figo 2 weeks ago. I called Green Thumb and they have 5 gallon Alba for $99... said it's about 6 ft tall in the ground. I have to go all the way to lake forest to get it ... Oh Well. I have to make room for it, I want to get rid of my large plumeria to make room for the Michelia Alba... don't have enough room for both I only have a small patio. Clare if interested let me know.

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

AngelSmell, which plumeria do you have? Is it a named variety? Where are you located? I'm in Camarillo, which is in Ventura County. Temple Garden Center in El Monte has three-gallon blooming M. x albas for $30 to $40, and sometimes they have them on sale for $20-$25.

Longriver, Gardino's web site is linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardino's Nursery

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The plumeria is whit with yellow center probably the common one. It's beautiful but too wide for my patio it's about 5 ft wide and very healthy. So your in Camarillo, it gets Hot out there, I go by there on my way to Santa Maria where My best friend lives, I live in Placentia, I work down the
    street from the Green Mart, went there at lunch.... how tall are the $30-40 M.Alba's. The one I got today is real
    nice it has about 10 buds on it. I got the Aglaia Odorata
    there also. I'm getting real bad at buying the plants. I
    am giving away 2 very large boston ferns to make room for my 2 new plants that smell pretty. Oh well you only live once.... I like to spoil myself.

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Thanks for your kind offer, AngelSmell, but I actually have seven Celadine's right now. You could give away or sell the parent plant and keep a cutting or two for yourself and start over. The cuttings root easily. You should check with GreenMart, since they are so close to you, to see if they would buy your plumeria from you or perhaps arrange a trade with them.

It actually stays pretty cool in the summer here because we're only about 10 miles from the beach. I used to live in Buellton -- now, it got hot there, 110 in the summer all the time. It only gets into the 90's here in the summertime. I used to visit Santa Maria all the time and go to Costco up there.

The Michelia x albas at Temple, which sell for $30 to $40, are about two to three feet tall. They have taller ones in larger containers which sell for more money. I got mine from there, and two years later, it is around six feet tall.

I bought plants all last year and the year before, and now I'm finding it is way too crowded here and I have way too much to take care of! Still, I fall in love with new fragrant plants all the time.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just got an India Carnation on E-bay that just arrived, it looked pretty interesting, I need to go home and plant that tonight. Are you familiar with this plant? It looks like a tll Gardenia plant....

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

The plant that is commonly called Carnation of India is Tabernaemontana divaricata. I have it and love it. The flowers are fragrant only at certain times of the day and only under certain conditions, and then only certain ones are and the other aren't!

Here's mine:

{{gwi:808468}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Carnation of India

• karinz21
    19 years ago

Clare:
    Never heard of this plant. Is it widely available?

• karinz21
    19 years ago

Clare:
    Never heard of this plant. Is it widely available?

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Karin, yes, I think so. I got mine at Green Thumb Intl., which is the same as Green Arrow, if you have one near you. Here's their web site below:

Here is a link that might be useful: SuperGarden

• pilotkh4
    19 years ago

Hello Angelsmell,
    I'm reading all these posts with great interest. Cananga is a native here in northern Australia but I can't seem to find var. fruticosa anywhere but I'm not going to stop trying;).
    Perhaps I can shed some light from my experience. I tried for ages with seed from exchanges, clubs, trades etc. I was never able to get them to germinate. Tried scarifying, acid treatment, giberrelic acid, even tried feeding some to the chooks (sorry, chickens) to see if they would germinate in the droppings. No good. Finally got on to the bloke who is the head of the seed collection dept. for Queensland parks and wildlife. Turns out that seed is only viable for a very short time. I got some from him and planted it all into a large foam box, put it into my shadehouse and had seedlings on the warmer side of the box in three days. They grew very quickly but being an unnatractive seedling I had a hard time giving them away. Now that they are flowering everyone wants one!! I had no idea how long they would take to flower but was very pleasantly surprised to see flowers early in the second year from seed!! They are now three years old, nearly 20 feet tall and almost constantly covered in flowers. I will harvest my first seed from them this week.
    We had a cyclone (hurricane) through here about a year ago, it was preceded by three or four weeks of torrential rain which softened the ground around the tree's roots. The canangas were leaning over until they touched the ground in the wind. One was over the washing line so I tied it up using two strong ropes. This tree now grows extremely crooked while the ones I didn't tie up in the cyclone are straight as arrows. I keep meaning to cut the top 10 or 12 feet off it so it will grow straight again but I can't catch it out of flower for long enough. My wife and my neighbours would ban me from the chainsaw if I cut it while it was covered in flowers.
    I hope this helps a bit, we are pretty troical here and I don't know what your climate is like.
    Regards,
    Brendon

• will2358
    19 years ago

Hi
    I just purchased var. fruticosa (dwarf Ylang Ylang)from one of the internet sites. I'm afraid I can not post there Url, but they have 2 international sites. If you would like the URL email me.
    Cindy

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pilotkh4: My seeds never grew, my Ylang Ylang plant that I ordered last year lost all of it's leaves and is just sitting in a pot, it's still greeen though. I thought I saw some very small shoots coming out of one of the branches so maybe it will get it's leaves back when it starts getting warmer here in So calif, it's suppose to get warmer next week, we have had so much rain since November it's unreal. So maybe it will do better we'll see. I wish I could smell your tree!!!!

• Noubikko
    18 years ago

Please help me where to buy ylang ylang seed. thank you.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My Ylang Ylang is now growing new leaves... I have lost hope with this plant though.... it is a slow grower for me.
    Noubikko: Look on E-bay for Ylang Ylang seeds.
    E-bay has everything!

• pratik_ardeshna
    8 years ago

I read somewhere that this flower is base material in world famous perfume CHANEL NO. 5

Can anyone send me a Calanga - Ylang Ylang seeds? I am from fascinating India and Thanks in advance... - Pratik

• L M
    7 years ago

i found several cone shaped yellow seeds below what I bought as "ylang Ylang" plant. Is this normal and can I propogate from thee? Thanks

• L M
    7 years ago

it looks like the seeds yellowed due to ripening and fell off the small tree.

• Amanda N Kainale
    6 years ago

Hi!! I just cut a big ylang ylang tree down and pulled all the seed pods I could find.. how do I know which seeds are mature enough to grow? Do they need to be black? And how long should I dry them before planting?

• Livette Scotty
    3 years ago

My mum grew this beautiful ylangylang tree from a cutting many years ago...awww, I tell you the smell is so heavenly. it’s really worth growing it and smell the aroma everyday

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?