Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deereyebrow

Looking for Chloranthus spicatus Mak.

deereyebrow
14 years ago

Hi, does anyone know this plant and where to find it in the US? I heard it's very very fragrant, and very shade tolerant. I'd really like to have one, but haven't found any in the nurseries or through mail order... Could anybody help me? Thank you!

Comments (15)

• deereyebrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Or, if anybody has this plant, and if you would be so kind to send me some cuttings, I have a few fragrant plants or other plants cuttings to exchange, including gardenia. sweet olive, Chinese rice flower, roses, african violets, clematis and some other plants.

• jimshy
    14 years ago

Deer,

I have it -- I got it in a cutting exchange from a friend who used to work at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, so I assume he got it there. I've never seen it for sale, which is suprising; mine grows easily in a Northeast window. It blooms on the ends of new stems, the flowers only last one or two days, and the fragrance is only in the morning. It is, hands down, one of the best flower fragrances I've ever smelled, and can fill a room, but interestingly, the flowers don't smell very strong up close.

Let me know what you've got for cuttings right now and we'll set up a trade!

Jim

• deereyebrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, Thank you so much for following up - You've made my day!!! This is such a great news for me. I'm really excited now!!

The plants I have ready for cuttings are:

Roses: Mr. Lincoln (very fragrant); Iceburg
    Clematis: Hagley Hybrid; Pink Champagne
    Hardy iceplant (pink)
    Goldfinger Potentilla
    Portulaca
    African violet: One pink and one purple, I don't know the name of the cultivars, but will post pictures if you're interested.

Fragrant plants:
    Gardenia: I don't know the cultivar name, but will post pictures if you're interested.
    Osmanthus fragrans ÂFudingzhuÂ. It will arrive next week, and is supposed to be a big plant, so I think it will be good to make cuttings.
    The Aglaia odorata (Chinese rice flower) looks a bit too young for cuttings, but if you're interested I will send you cuttings next summer (sorry for listing it earlier. I don't have much experience with propagating cuttings, and just looked for infomations online...)

Other flower seeds I have: Portulaca (all colors); Snapdragon (red or deep pink; pink+yellow)

Please let me know your interests. You can also contact me by email: ljmt1222@hotmail.com

Thank you! :-D

• minhdy11
    14 years ago

Hi Jim,
    I'd really like to have one, but haven't found any in the nurseries or through mail order. I don't have any plants cuttings to exchange but I will pay if you would be so kind to send me some cuttings. I did not see this plant since we moved to live here ( about 35 years!!!).
    Please let me know what you want. Thanks and have a good day!
    Minhdy

• flowers_galore
    14 years ago

my curiosity is really peaked now. is it tropical ? Jim, is it as fragrant as jasmines and michelias? For many years, i have been reading your posts on fragrances, and you state it is one of the best fragrances.

thanks,
    radha.

• jimshy
    14 years ago

Uh oh,

I feel like I just walked into someone's dorm room with a big bag of tortilla chips!

I'm happy to share cuttings, but my plant is not that large, and I'd rather not chop it completely back, although I suppose I'll eventually get more branching stems, and hence more blooms, that way!

I'll send cuttings in the order that folks posted, and we'll set up trades individually, sound good?

Before you queue up, keep in mind, noses differ, and this one can be rather ephemeral, lasting only one or two mornings per bloom, so no guarantees on how you'll like the fragrance!

Jim

I'll

• deereyebrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jim, Thanks for the response, and I've sent you an email.
    Everybody wants yummy and hard to find tortilla chips! Hope one day my plants will grow big enough to share your burden ;P
    ps, I found a picture of this plant online. Does yours look like this? They look kind of like Chinese rice flowers to me, but I've never seen one in person. Just curious of what to expect. Deereyebrow

• jimshy
    14 years ago

Hey guys,

Sorry to take so long to get back to everyone; the chloranthus is ready for some cuttings, so the list as it stands is:

Deereyebrow (btw, yes, that's what the plant looks like when mature, mine's in a six inch pot, so the leaves are not as big as a larger specimen)

Minhdy

Radha

I think I may have to wait until spring to get to you, Radha, since I'll need time for the plant to grow more stems. I'm happy to send 'em for cost of shipping or a trade, so let me know if you're still interested and I'll get out the pruners!

Jim

• flowers_galore
    14 years ago

Thanks Jim.

No rush. let me know when it is okay. will wait.
    i do have of tropicals/ fragrants. if you want to try GDT again. i just rooted vallaris glabra. i wil get a good list of what i have. if it interests you, will exchange . otherwise i will do shipping, if that is preferable. lmk, whenever you are ready to use your pruners.

regards,
    Radha.

• minhdy11
    14 years ago

Jim,

Thanks! I will wait, so please let me know when it is ready for some cuttings. I will pay for cost of shipping.
    Thanks again and have a good night.

Regards,

Minhdy

• daxin
    14 years ago

I can help out you Chloranthus lovers if your local weather is still warm enough. All you need to do is to send me a self-addressed stamped envelope and I will put in a few fresh cuttings in a zip-loc bag. A padded envelope is probably better but not critical. Chloranthus spicatus roots very easily in water and does not have much problem with pests or diseases. To me, the flowers look very similar to those of Chamaedorea palms and the fragrance is close to that of Aglaia odorata. It is a great plant that deserves better presence.

• fragrantgarden99
    14 years ago

I agree with Daxin.

Plus, Chloranthus will bloom at lower light than aglaia odorata and is really great for a medium light corner in the house. Aglaia will need a brighter corner to bloom right.
    FG

• mattdiclemente
    12 years ago

Wow, I am starting to need this awesome plant.
    Do you guys know what I am talking about?
    Please let us know, those of you who are in possesion of this fragrant gem, how she is growing for you this summer.

Best wishes,
    Sincerely,
    Matt Di Clemente

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    12 years ago

Hi Matt,

Chloranthus spicatus is one of my favorite plants. It is so easy to grow and so unusually elegant and pretty. The wonderful fragrance is just one more outstanding virtue on top of many.

I can provide unrooted cuttings to the first five people who e-mail me through GardenWeb. They ship extremely well and will easily root if placed in a glass of water.

Cheers,
    Ispahan

• kemistry
    12 years ago

Ispahan, I'm happy to report that the cuttings I received from you have rooted! (I broke them into 4 pieces because I have 3 other garden buddies that would like to try this plant.)

Cannot wait for next year when it'll be big and glorious! :)