Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Night Blooming Jasmine is Dying!!

Posted by elixa18 10 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 05 at 18:34

What do I do? It's leaves are all droopy and look like they're about to fall off. It's an outdoor potted plant that I used to water everday, but now I've layed off that because I'm afraid the overwatering is killing it. It gets a lot of direct sunlight in the morning hours but indirect sunlight after noon. Any suggestions?? I don't want my plant to die!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Night Blooming Jasmine is Dying!!

I think you need a bigger pot. NBJ is very hard to kill, they need big pot & big root system to support their growth, especially in full sun.

o

If you think you have over-watered the plant, you need to remove the soggy soil and replant in new slightly damp soil.

o

Sounds like you have got a fungal infection in the root system.
Drenching with a fungaside may help. Condies crystals are good.
'Potasium Permanganate' [from the Drugstore]Mix about 1/8 teaspoon in 1 litre water. Or copper oxycloride is good too.
It will probably loose its leaves now, but they should come back. They are pretty tough.Good luck. L

o

More suggestions, if it hasn't died by now.

If there's a big crown of leaves, I would prune it back. Some people believe that defoliating it completely encourages it to grow roots and reduces moisture loss through the leaves. I'm too chicken to do that so I would cut it back to a third of its former size.

Take the plant out of the pot and VERY CAREFULLY AND GENTLY remove as much soil as possible without hurting the roots.

Soak the whole plant, roots and everything, in a, tepid, dilute solution with vitamin B for just an hour. (I think there are already mixed solutions call root starter. Read the labels in the garden stores.)

Then re-pot in a soil mix that is very, very loose -- lots of perlite. Water thoroughly.

Move the plant into filtered light or light shade, no direct sun to let it re-establish. When the stems and leaves are nice and green and turgid again, you can move it into more light.

DON'T WATER IT SO MUCH. Once a week of deep watering is more than enough.

If you tend to over water, use a auto-waterer. The self-watering pots I've tried don't work well for me.

Two gadgets are first, a rigid plastic 'tube' with holes along the sides that attaches to a bottle of water. You insert the tube into the soil. It will dispense water as the soil dries. I'm not promoting anything, just think these gadgets work well. Here're links to one place online that sells this:
http://www.gardeners.com/Search/search.asp Q=watering&Page=3&searchType=Product

Another watering gadget that is somewhat more attractive, at least smaller, is a ceramic stake with a tube to a water reservoir.

Here is a link that might be useful: ceramic stakes to auto water

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here