Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaihui

Where can I buy cold hardy Gardenia?

kaihui
18 years ago

I saw Gardenia in many grocery stores often, but they are indoor plants, and I have no luck to get them bloom. However, when I was a kid back in China, Gardenia were cold hardy and easy to bloom (no special care needed). The flower was very fragrant (my favorite along with sweet olive, which I am also looking for a store to sell right now).

I want to grow Gardenia really bad, Does anyone knows who sells cold hardy gardenia. I am in central VA, zone 7.

Thanks in advance,

Kai

Comments (15)

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

try doing an online search for 'chuck hayes' or 'kleim's hardy' gardenias. they are advertised as being hardier(to zone 7) than the other cultivars. potential sources should be found by doing that. i have not seen either of these at local garden centers yet, so mailorder may be your only option.

• kaihui
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very much, Jeff. It seems chuck hayes is what I want. Do you know whether it will survive well on well drained clay soil?

Thanks,

Kai

• ashef
    18 years ago

Kai, before you order online, check at your local Lowe's. The Lowes' in Wilmington, NC (admittedly NOT central VA) had lots of them last weekend. They were only about $4 each and looked great.

Allie

• michaelk
    18 years ago

Wow! $4 !!

The Chuck Hayes plants I got a month and a half a go or so were $35 each (I snapped up 3 immediately due to
    my having spent about 1.5 years trying to get one).

Wow, $4....

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:789966}}

• kaihui
    Original Author
    18 years ago

$4?! That's incredible. My local Lowes does not supply Gardenia. I just checked few days ago.

Funny thing is that I did research on internet on "Chuck Hayes" and found out it was originated from UVA. I graduated from UVA and am still living in Charlottesville, but I just can't find any local store selling those. I asked the best nursery in town but they have never heard about a cold hardy Gardenia.

Kai

• chills71
    18 years ago

Kleim's Hardy is available from bluestone for $7-8 I think.

I believe they are only currently offering pre-sales for the spring.

~Chills

• jbcarr
    18 years ago

It should be carried by nurseries like Great Big greenhouse in Richmond. If not, they will order it for you so you can get a sizeable plant. Same is true of most any local nursery.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I got a nice, Kliem's at www.ecolage.com Type in gardenia..They're on sale right now..the Kliem is a little over a foot tall. Toni

• Molineux
    18 years ago

Kaihui drive to McDonald's Garden Center in Hampton VA. They have Chuck Hayes gardenia. Best call them first though.

McDonald Garden Center
    1139 W Pembroke Ave
    Hampton, VA 23661-1119 Phone: (757) 722-7463

• kaihui
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, Molineux,
    Thanks. Hampton is about 3 hours from here. I live in Charlottesville. I think I will try mail order first.

Kai

• yunsheng
    18 years ago

Hi, Kaihui,

You can find Gardenia from http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1274-2.

Yunsheng

• fennelgrl
    18 years ago

I bought the Griff's select from Parks Seed. It is supposed to be hardy to zone 6. We'll see...

• nimapur
    18 years ago

Logees has it available online.

• laguna
    18 years ago

my garden club bought 5 griff's select and are trying them at different sites zone 6 n 7 will see if they survive

• kaihui
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, John,
    Please do let us know how they go. Some cold hardy gardinia are claimed to cold hardy to zone 7, but they die sometimes.

Kai