Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsaunt

Re-blooming n.b. cereus?!?!

Virginia
14 years ago

Last year I had a bloom on 9/28. This year I had a bloom on 6/26. (Only one flower each year.) All of a sudden it appears to have a lot of tiny flower buds. Do night blooming cereus plants usually bloom more than once within three months?

I'm pretty excited if this is true. I've been unable to watch the flowers actually open each time, but I'm determined to see this!

Ginny

Comments (9)

• jimshy
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm guessing you're talking about the flat, vining/hanging n.b. cereus (epiphyllum oxypetallum) -- I've never flowered one, but from what I've heard the bloom when they're in the mood; often after a cooler, drier spell of weather. It also seems to need to reach a certain size, probably in order to store up enough energy to grow and bloom those monster flowers.

Bottom line, if those are buds rather than new developing leaves, you're in for a treat, so invite some friends over and enjoy the show, but be prepared to wait some time until the buds are ready to open!

Jim

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    14 years ago

Ginny: Would like to see your pictures!

I just posted a topic in Brugmansia forum, and can't help sharing with folks here.

I bought a couple "Night Blooming Cereus" cuttings on ebay 7 years ago. The seller, also a Chinese, got discouraging after hearing I just lost my second Chinese Perfume Plant. But he said why not give the cereus cuttings a try, they were so cheap anyways.

So I started my Cereus odyssey. I searched over the internet for articles in English or Chinese. The information was overwhealming and often contradictative.

Cereus enjoys bright sunlight. Cereus doesn't like direct sunlight.
    Cereus likes facing south. Cereus likes eastern exposure.
    Cereus enjoys high, or warm temperature. Somehow Cereus likes cool nights.
    Cereus prefers moist soil. Cereus enjoys dry soil.
    Cereus is a heavy, medium, light feeder.
    Cereus requires intensive care. Cereus would be thankful if you can ignore her a bit.
    LOL

I messed around in different ways and luckily my 2 plants have not died on me. However they just stand in their pots in a very dull way, without a hint of ready or wanting to bloom.

The plants are not attractive at all. Leggy stems or leaves crawling around, definitely not a graceful shape. I thought I would never have a chance to view their glamorious memoment. Maybe I even have got the wrong plants. When I got Brenda's email that she was sending out the brug cuttings. I told my husband that we would run out of room wintering all the plants in the house so the Cereus would have to live this winter in the unheated greenhouse and let the nature to take care.

Last weekend I got Brenda's package and rushed to pot the brug cuttings. I glanced at the Cereus and for a moment I thought I was out of my mind. I could not believe my eyes I saw a tiny bud on the dark green leaves, pink and tender, swaying in the breeze.
    {{gwi:555521}}

One week later
    {{gwi:555522}}

Did this poor kid hear our conversation the other day, and tried at the end of the season, to disperse my frustration?

I'm not a good plant owner. I've sent a lot of lovely ones to plant heaven, due to my incompetence or loss of interest. But there are always one, or some plants, that I ought to wait for their time to bloom.

My orchid plant, brought back from Florida around the same time, is also blooming the first time.(the plant behind is my 3rd Chinese Perfume plant (agalia) starting a second flush this year)
    {{gwi:555524}}

Happy Gardening!

Changsong

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    14 years ago

Oops fixed the link
    {{gwi:555527}}

• mare2
    14 years ago

My cereus peruvianus bloomed twice this year--2 buds each time. This is only my second summer with it, but last year it only got one bud almost in autumn.

The epiphyllum oxypetallum bloomed several times this year, too. We had a cool summer here; maybe that was it?

Whichever n.b.c. you have, hope you enjoy the show!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cereus peruvianus

• Virginia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Changsong, I think we're on to something! Last year I was just about to get rid of my n.b. cereus when I noticed buds! Perhaps malevolent thoughts cause blooming!

Now I'm going to go out and glare at the butterfly ginger that hasn't bloomed this year!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    14 years ago

Ginny: Indeed! Maybe sometimes a little threatening will do the trick..

My butterfly ginger has bloomed since early summer. In the past it only started blooming this time of the year. Got it from a friend who shoval-pruned hers that took over her front porch. Changsong

• Virginia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Changsong--it worked again! The ginger just bloomed!!

Ginny

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    14 years ago

"scared to bloom"? Ginny I'm very happy for your ginger.

mare2 maybe the cool weather does help the n.b.cereus to bloom. It is so nice you can have several flowers in one year. Hope one day mine will do the same.

Happy gardening

Changsong

• blutayle
    14 years ago

I have found the plant needs to be extremely potbound and also hit a certain maturity then bam, flowering fool. The year before I had my big flush I only had two flowers. Kept it in an 8" pot and it exploded after a few years.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/blutayle/?action=view&current=wow12.jpg