Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fragrant oleanders

Posted by adamharbeck WA Aust (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 20:59

Hello Forum,
I am wanting to establish a Spanish/Latin style garden and am looking for fragrant Oleanders. I have asked the local nursery to order me in a Mrs. Roeding which is apparently the most fragrant type. Is this true? What other types are fragrant? I have seen Madoni Grandiflorum, Proff. Martin Sunshine and Splendens Double Pink. Are these scented? I have read that splendens double pink smells of sweet talcum. True?

Thanks,
Adam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fragrant oleanders

From my years living in Phoenix, I don't remember any of them being fragrant but there were far fewer cultivars available then. They were mostly too tall to sniff even if they were fragrant but I don't remember any in pots at the nursery I worked at having a scent either. That doesn't mean that there aren't fragrant ones though.

o

I wish I knew the name of my double flowered pastel yellow oleander. It is wonderfully scented and always in bloom.

o

Thanks,

The town I grew up in had heaps of oleanders around too and I honestly cant recall any fragrance at all. Even when we used to collect crow-wing caterpillars off them. I ended up buing 2 mrs Roeding (said online to be the most fragrant),2 double pinks and a sunshine yellow (double). The sunshine was the only one that satated it was fragrant on the label, even so it only said "delicate fragrance".
They are all in bud so I wont have long to wait. even if they dont smell its no great loss, I want them for a wind break along the rear fence and they should fit the bill.

Adam

o

The plant I remember being called "yellow oleander" in Phoenix wasn't an Oleander at all.

Do they now have true yellow colored Oleanders, Nerium oleander?

The plant I remember is Thevetia peruviana

o

Yes they do! The plant I have is called Nerium "Sunshine".
The pic on the tag looks like this.
http://www.floridata.com/wallpaper/jpg/Nerium_oleander800yellowA.jpg
I know the yellow/peruvian Oleandrs from up north too. did they perform well in Phoenix? I have not seen them here where the climate is similar to San Diego.

Adam

o

My yellow is most definitely a true oleander.No mistaking that.lol.I have it potted up in a container but in a suitable climate it may work quite well as a wind-break as it suckers(branches) generously from its base.

o

I moved from Phoenix twenty plus years ago and though I vacation there often I have never seen a true yellow, true Oleander.

Thevitia does grow well in Phoenix, they are very common as are Oleanders. Personally, I love the little dwarf pink Oleanders that were just starting to show up when I moved. When I worked at a nursery in Phoenix we only had big ones in red, pink and white. I've always loved the white ones, their foliage is so dark and they glow at night.

I've wanted a dwarf pink for my greenhouse here in Oregon but haven't found one locally and am not going to pay big bucks for mail order. I need to go home to smuggle one in my suitcase.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here