Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrao77

My jasmine collection

mrao77
11 years ago

Folks, here are some of my jasmine pictures as promised :)I finally got around to gathering pictures from most of my jasmines that bloomed over this summer. I may still be missing a few, and will add to this post later.

From Jasmines

Sambac- Maid of Orleans
From Jasmines

Jasminun nitidum

From Jasmines

Jasminum molle (thanks to kandhi!!)

From Jasmines

Grand duke supreme (GDS) bud above, and flower below

From Jasmines

Grand duke of Tuskany

From Jasmines

Mysrore mulli

From Jasmines

Oriental version of Mysore mulli/BOI

From Jasmines

Belle of India elnogata

From Jasmines

Mali Chat (thak you, bunti!!)

From Jasmines

Comments (18)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mrao...What a beautiful Jasmine collection! Bet your garden smells heavenly.

Will your Jasmines be wintered indoors, or are they hardy to your area? Toni

• mrao77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Toni,

All my tropicals (which is most of what grow) are in pots, and are overwintered indoors inside my house or in a heated sun room. That is why I have to keep myself from acquiring new ones :) I end up losing quite a few every winter, and start all over again in spring!
    I wish I had the luxury of growing these in ground, they would certainly perfume the entire garden.

Good to catch up with ya- remember we swapped plants a couple of summers ago?

Happy gardening!

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing those pictures! That GDS bloom is incredible! Which sambac cultivar is the most vigorous for you? : )

• mrao77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, kemistry! The most vigorous one for me is my Mysore mulli, it blooms earlier than others and in abundance. Goes though short periods of recovery, and blooms late spring through Fall. My GDS is also a heavy bloomer, except that the blooms are unreliable. Some are solitary and picture perfect, some are smaller in bunches, some are twisted and gnarled looking like serpent heads! Then there are times when the buds gets huge, but remain green. So it is always a gamble.
    Thinking of that, I should post a picture of the differnt blooms of GDS..another project idea :)
    mrao77

• smatta
    11 years ago

Malini, Your Jasmines are looking awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Sushmita

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Malini, pretty pics, keep posting :)

• mrao77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Sushmita and Lakshmi! I will post more pics of the MM that has several flower forms, as it matures, on the same plant. Some are tiered, some are lotus like, some are huge and some are elongated. I love my MM :)

• epioxi
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures. My wish list is getting longer and longer, lol. I can't find a source selling Bella of Indea in Europa, hic, hic. It is really hard to find a good source with fragrant exotic plants. I wish that you can post the scent alongg with the picture, mrao, lol.
    Thanks again.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

MRAO. Sorry, didn't check the box to receive emails when a comment was made.

Oh my..can't recall swapping? What did we swap? lol

• mrao77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, epoxi!

Toni, I may have been mistaken too..maybe we exchanged emails about tropicals,remember taking about philodendrons? may be wrong though..poor memory :)

• leahrenee1
    11 years ago

Which one of your collection would you say is the most powerfully fragrant? which one would you say has the most pleasant fragrance?

• mrao77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To me, all jasmines have a pleasing scent! I grew up with an enormous variety of jasmines, where they grew in abundance. Scent is such a powerful sense, it takes me down memory lane! When I smell a jasmine, it brings back lots of pleasant memories, and I can never have enough :)
    As for the most powerful scent, I think it depends on quantity of blooms. Foe example, Grand duke is pretty powerful up close, but it blooms so scarcely, that it does not waft. My Mysore mulli on the other hand blooms in abundance, and I can smell it before I go near the plant. Same with Molle, it is very pleasant and sweet, but right now my plant is small. When it grown big and blooms profusely, I am sure the scent will be wafting several feet away.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Years ago, I heard yellow Jasmine isn't fragrant..is this true or false??

MRAO...same here..my memory is going..lol. I talk to quite a few people about plants...including Philodendron.
    Do you recall if I sent you cuttings/plant? If so, which type? Did you send any my way?

I don't normally trade..there have been times I sent ppl cuttings but it' all a blur..lol..Toni

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

mrao, wow, what a beautiful collection!

They are all so healthy looking. I want to grow some up here in CT but my yard is too shady and I don't get enough sun into my house.

My mom tells me that in Laos they are commonly grown. She told me that she would pluck some of the flowers and put them in her purse or pockets as 'perfume'.

I have vague memories of them but the fragrant does bring about warm feelings inside of me. I hope to be able to figure out a way to grow them some day.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    -Tina

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

mrao, wow, what a beautiful collection!

They are all so healthy looking. I want to grow some up here in CT but my yard is too shady and I don't get enough sun into my house.

My mom tells me that in Laos they are commonly grown. She told me that she would pluck some of the flowers and put them in her purse or pockets as 'perfume'.

I have vague memories of them but the fragrant does bring about warm feelings inside of me. I hope to be able to figure out a way to grow them some day.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    -Tina

• Tina_n_Sam
    11 years ago

Sorry, that my last entry double posted.

I hit the refresh button on the Fragrant Forum and now I see that my post was put up twice.

-Tina

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

This is very interesting.I thought multi- post usually happens in the same day, within few minutes. Is the GW server deteriorated this bad or they just did back up and reload?

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Tina, don't worry about it. I did that before. It was frustrating to just try to post one, but I was in the situation either not being posted at all or being multi-posting automatically.
    What browser are you using? I used IE before which I had multi -posting problem. I later use Google Chrome which works much faster and no longer need to use refresh button to see if my post has been posted or not... I think GW needs to look into its webpage design compatibility with different browser issue.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?